Following

A hobbit`s workplace

This is a work done in photoshop inspired by the well known fantasy story

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the feel of the lighting through the window, but....

the blur is a bit blurry

Try not to rely on it so much .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is just guesswork, however, maybe this will help you.

First off, you lighting. Go to Google image search (your best friend for quick reference) look at images of desks, lamps and other reflective and semi-reflective surfaces. See how light strikes the surface of these objects and how you can emulate that concept in your work.

Secondly, don't make your light source white and blinding. Use a warm colour to light your room. Show the effects of the light as it crosses through the opening instead of making it super blurry and hazy.

Blurring, can be affective. It's a great way to show depth, point of view or strengthen a focal point. However, your setting won't benefit much from blurring the entire thing. When you go back and rework your digipaint, use a sharper brush or setting and don't rely on the smudge tool or what ever technique you used beforehand.

Tighten your lines and shapes. Some objects will recede and blend with the surroundings and other will stand out crisp, almost mechanical like. You don't want your entire piece to be an unsure stroke or fill. Don't be afraid to define your objects.

Don't shade, add tone, or what have you will all white or all black. You can use different hues to create a sense of depth, luminosity and most anything else.

Work on the textures of your piece. Wood isn't concrete, so it shouldn't look like a woody coloured concrete beam. There is texture stock you can use to help push the realism or believability of what you want to visually represent. Or you can create that texture yourself, using various brushes or your own techniques.

Look to downloading new brushes, textures and stock for photoshop and yourself if you can.

keep working hard till you get it to your own personal satisfaction and those of others.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What fantasy story? I'm not sure which one you mean.. there are alot of well known ones.

Listen to the post above, but this will be my own, and it will probably mention alot of the same stuff.

Perspective. perspective perspective perspective!

I did a paintover to explain perspective and a possible lighting setup.

I just saw the title "Hobbit's workplace".

Anyways, here are the suggestions; You can still see the lines, so you can sort of use them as a guide.

In your piece, you didn't set a vanishing point. If you are sitting at a desk right now, look at the sides. Do the wing outwards, such as on your piece, or do they point forward? That a very basic way of putting perspective. If I were you, I would look up how to use 1, 2, and possibly 3 point perspective. Perspective applies to absolutely everything that you draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks for crits, they help a lot. I will surely look into fixing something in this image or put greater effort in some other one using the knowledge you shared. Thanks for now.

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Although this piece won`t fit with the title I already gave for the thread, I`ll still post it here just to find out if I get closer to the point. I didn`t use any kind of blur this time, neither I shaded anything. Just tones and colours. Still I`d appreciate some comments about it to hear what you`ll say. Here it is:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your shading in this one is inconsistent with your light sources. I don't think the figure is illuminated enough by the fire. The fire would create some high contrast light and shadows.

The figure also needs anatomy work. It's hard to tell the origin of the legs (you cant see either of his thighs or his pelvis). His right arm is also alot shorter than his left. Like people said for your first piece, use reference. Google images, or just sit in front of a mirror for the pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I agree with pretty much what everybody else has said so far. For the first piece, I also have to ask what the focus is. The sheer brightness of the book calls attention to itself, but so does the feather pen and the candle (though the candle itself is lost in the brightness of the wall surrounding the window... which really shouldn't be that bright either). I doubt these three pieces are the main idea of the picture because they aren't the entirety of the hobbit's work place. As for the lighting issues, that PO Justin did helps a lot with the shadows and light, it'd be good to study that a bit more.

And for the second piece, I would have never noticed that figure if it weren't for those eyes which at first seemed to be floating in the middle of nowhere. I was looking at the fire for about two or three seconds, trying to figure out the main idea of the piece before I took note of the character. That aside, kudos for Kupiki I'm surprised he could make out the anatomy - I'm still having trouble making him out. He's got some solid advice on that piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not gonna lie when I say this; There is alot of potential in these pics. You are putting SERIOUS thought into lighting. If you really want to become an artist for a living, keep posting here and keep making as much art as you can. The people here will help you -immensely-, but you need to have the drive and patience to keep going... give it a few years, depending on how hard you work, and you'll be in very good shape.

Here is the paintover;

Pleeeease read this!
    http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

It will do miracles!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the link, I`ll check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im having a hard time figuring out whats going on in both images..
    the first one its really blurry and in the second one you cannot see the goblin or w/e clear enough..

i really like how justin had the glow from the fire.. but keep it up find some new styles keep painting!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.