want to learn
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: want to learn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

want to learn

Ok here's the story. I recently enrolled on a course in uni, Computer Games Development.

After starting the course i've been informed that the 2nd year will be in design... oh dear. Basically means drawing concept art for charactors etc. And art isn't my best subject. I can imagine an image, but the moment i shift my focus from the image to the actual drawing of it... poof. Thats my problem, i can't put my visulaisations on paper. If it comes to copying a picture, i think given time i can do it averagely. Which is why i'm glad they gave us a years warning to get good at art

Anyway i was originally interested in drawing manga style but seeing as this is for concept art i'd rather go for something a little me, dynamic? realistic? not quite sure what the word i'm looking for here is.

Anyway i wanted to know if anyone could give me advice. I would like to learn to draw and i think given time i could get good at it, my key drawback is patience. But i'm sure when i begin to improve the idea that i'm actually drawing something that doesn't look like a deformed van gogh work may outweigh my lack of patience (i sure hope it does atleast)

Anyway any advice on how to start etc, any exercises that'd help with visualisation, or drawing would be greatly appreciated.

(also if this is the wrong section to post this in, just slap me i wasn't entirely sure where to post)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Jesus, not another one of these lump-it-all-into-one-bloody-short-program game schools.

What part of game production interests you? The big categories are design, art, and programming. Sub-categories of art are modeling and texturing (usually lumped together), concept art, animation, tech art, particles. Level-design is an area of overlap between art and design. Sub-categories of design are writing, system design, level design. Game design does *not* include concept art, and any game school that fails to make that distinction needs to do its homework.

There is a link in my sig to info on the games industry.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wowfood, just start browsing around here and you'll find all sorts of resources. Start with the stickies at the tops of the forums, do some searches on specific terms, and when you find someone who's written something useful, check out their other posts. Don't be afraid to ask specific questions, but do be aware that more general ones have probably been covered many times before.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Start with the basics first.
    Drawing from life. Set up still lifes and draw those. Draw from photos. Draw people. Anatomy is really important so start getting used to human figure. Take a figure drawing class if you can.
    Learn perspective, light and shading.

The best way to really learn is to practice consistantly.
    Carry a sketchbook with you everywhere you go and practice drawing stuff you see. Trees, buildings in perspective, people, benches. Anything.

Buy some books on perspective and anatomy to help you understand the concepts. Tutorials are always helpful too.

Good luck!!

Diana Levin Illustration
    A Whimsical Fantasy
    Portfolio: www.dianalevinart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
    Jesus, not another one of these lump-it-all-into-one-bloody-short-program game schools.

What part of game production interests you? The big categories are design, art, and programming. Sub-categories of art are modeling and texturing (usually lumped together), concept art, animation, tech art, particles. Level-design is an area of overlap between art and design. Sub-categories of design are writing, system design, level design. Game design does *not* include concept art, and any game school that fails to make that distinction needs to do its homework.

There is a link in my sig to info on the games industry.
    its actually only a minor part of the course, the main focus is actually the programming, so in the end of the entire course its only 1 unit which would cover that. The main reason we do it is to get a feel for what the other jobs in games development are like. That and almost all courses in computer games dev i know of, at the end of the course you have to try making a simple game. We have to cover this incase we cant find anyone on the computer games animation course to help us with the graphics etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting! And thanks for replying. Thatís not actually a bad thing for your school to be doing, then.

Chances are you will never be required to make a piece of art for your job. There will be days when you have to scribble some idea in stick-figures on a white-board to communicate an idea, but thatís lovingly known as ďprogrammer artĒ. Itís a step below ďdesigner artĒ, but nobody will turn their nose up at it.

But having an understanding of what goes on in the art side of development will be a bonus for you, especially if youíre thinking of getting into graphics programming, in which youíll need a good visual eye along with uber math skills.

Iíd say donít agonize over this upcoming art class. Itís definitely not as important as the programming stuff you are learning. And if worse comes to worst, you donít need art to make a good game. Yes, you heard me right Ė us artists are unnecessary (though very few of us will admit it.) Game design needs programming to make it function. The art is just the icing on top. As long as you can come up with and implement a design, it wonít matter if the art is stick figures and pixilated blobs.

Iíll give you an example of a very well-designed and well-implemented game that has almost no art in it:

http://www.handdrawngames.com/DesktopTD/game.asp

Best of luck with your course!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... i hate you, i'm now addicted to that bloody game.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.