Mood Issues
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mood Issues

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mood Issues

I'm having some trouble here establishing the proper mood. I think my value contrasts are an issue, and I feel a bit like my figure doesn't properly blend into the background.

Any thoughts/helpful critiques?

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know that I need to factor in more reflections of the blue glow, but to my eye, my color looks a bit chalky and I want it to be more vibrant. Any tips?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BTW just as a caveat, I'm new to CA and this is my first attempt at a digital character painting, so go easy on me, but be honest...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm new to giving and recieving critique so, here goes:

Pluses:
    A) Beautiful style!
    B) The environment is rich, full, and well colored.
    C) The head of the character seems to be well defined and well rendered.
    Minuses:
    A) I'm not entirely sure, but it seems like the character is on a different perspective than the background.
    B) As far as the weapon goes, its at a strange angle versus the character itself. Just work on the perspective of the character.

Hopefully I wasn't an arse or anything, just trying to give some critique.
    As far as colors go, I would advise using more value on the color.

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not at all, thanks for your insight. I think you make some good points that I hadn't really thought about...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, welcome to CA! I'm new here too and kinda suck at giving critiques, but I'll give it a shot.

I think the lack of a definite light source on your character might explain why he doesn't blend in with the background. The way he's lit makes it look more like he's glowing. I see three light sources, and probably a fourth that's out of view, but it's like these light sources don't have much influence on his shading.

On another note, it might just be me, but I don't think his head really should be able to turn that far without breaking his neck. Try watching yourself in a mirror and see how far you can turn your head.

Anatomy-wise, it could probably use some work. I mean, with the head-neck issue aside, I'm still a bit confused by his position and ... a few other things I can't quite put my finger on. This is why references are usually a good idea - it's not cheating, it's fidelity to the source.

One last thing (sorry to be so negative here), his clothes might need some work in the folds and flow. His sleeves and cape don't seem to be behaving like cloth should.

Fix those things up and we'll see how it goes from there. Hope that helps or means something to you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, that's all good. I didn't really use any reference and I can see that my anatomy needs work. You're right about the Neck/Head Turn issue, but I guess I felt it kind of worked anyway, but I can see how it doesn't. I think the

Lighting issues and the clothing issues all stem from one source--lack of reference and I can definitely take that into account and observe a lot more.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken_hand View Post
    I think the lack of a definite light source on your character might explain why he doesn't blend in with the background.
    Circle that with a red marker a couple dozen times, that's bang on. I did a red line for the anatomy. I'd do a paintover for the lighting but I suck at it, hopefully someone will come along to help with that.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshaft View Post
    Yeah, that's all good. I didn't really use any reference and I can see that my anatomy needs work. You're right about the Neck/Head Turn issue, but I guess I felt it kind of worked anyway, but I can see how it doesn't.
    Gee... I actually feel kinda guilty now I forgot to ask this in my earlier post, but what kind of mood are you going for anyhow? Right now it looks like he's smiling a bit. Did you mean him to be pissed or apathetic? If you had him glance over his shoulder, like in Rhine's picture, it could feel like he's giving you a passing thought. Otherwise, if you want to keep the way he's looking at you now, you could have him turned to the side and give you more of his attention, but that might make him seem less arrogant or intimidating.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhineville View Post
    Circle that with a red marker a couple dozen times, that's bang on.
    Woohoo! Recognition! *ego inflates* ... aw crud.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The arrogance is kind of what I was going for, but my original thought of the overall mood was to be kind of dark and mysterious, like you're following him on some forbidden/secret errand, but I got cautious along the way and didn't want to canvas to be too dark...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rhineville is right on with the disproportionate proportion, and proportionally I will help you out with the lighting once you get that anatomical disproportion fixed- proportionally.

J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.