junkyard
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: junkyard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

junkyard

Not sure if this goes in the work in progress section or this one but this piece isn't quite a doodle - not to me anyway, lol.

Here's a little sumthin sumthin i've been working on with my graduating class from school - we're putting together a video game in order to graduate, and i've been assigned the task of promotional art. Any advice and critiques will be GREATLY appreciated as this piece isn't just for my own purposes. Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm no master of backgrounds by any means... But here are a few things I noted about the painting in general... The colors are monotone. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. However making the color scheme go from bright red to black can be kind of dull on the eyes, which is the effect I think you are getting now. You can use black, but I would do do sparingly.

I also would try to not have so much black around the borders of the image. It appears as though you did so to draw the viewer into the middle of the road or pathway there, but all that blackness detracts from the piece. I might suggest reworking the composition. Right now it feels very "cluttered", but it doesn't feel like it's done on purpose but on accident.

While looking at your piece, I came across this picture: http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...284_perusa.jpg It made me think of what you may be trying to do in this picture and I hope it might be a kind of inspiration for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm no expert on enviros, but it looks like we're looking at the ground from above but the horizon straight on. So there's a perspective issue there. If we're looking at the horizon straight on, the objects and the ground should be only slightly above the horizon.

If what you were going for was that all the "junk" is on a downwards slope towards us, it's not really coming across. The ground on that slope wouldn't be that heavily lit if the only source of light is the sun, it would all be in the shadow.

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This paintover is most likely very wrong in many ways... But I think it's OK as far as displaying the problem with illumination of the slope (if that's what it is).

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Whyatt Thrash; October 4th, 2007 at 12:50 PM.
    - Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What kind of game is it? Could you tell us the time, setting, and appeal of the game?

I looked at this and my first impression was a very old, decrepit junkyard, that has an eerie feeling. The saturated red sky and the hazy wash of the junk make an immediate contrast.

The crane in the background is something that could play with to have a transition from mid ground to the background if you were interested in doing that.

The suns cutout needs to be polished; chipped on the left side, varying widths and inconsistent color around its perimeter. The clone stamp is too obvious for your dirt path, to were it looks as it it was on a separate layer and it makes your junk pile on the left in your picture, pop out and break continuity given certain looks (takes).

The junk heaps come off very bright. There seems to be a noticeable difference between how you are lighting the criss-crossed iron object with sharp highlights in the foreground against the pink wash of the junks heaps in the mid ground.

Is there an explanation for the bright patch just above the bottom left corner of the picture?

Your path ends up leading to a fuzzy transition to the background. You should make it lead into a direction, and perhaps have some lit trees in the mid ground to, or have something to break that awkward fuzziness.

The light glowing object (very bottom, center) should be more defined if it is an important piece. It attracts too much attention.

On the left side on the crane, it looks like a smudge or self contained blur, is this intentional?

I like the affect that I feel from the sky. I think this looks and is coming along well. I almost want to think there are bones in that junkyard. I'm not sure on what the direction and intent of your promotional entails, but thats the stuff I always think about, what is the appeal, who is it going to appeal to, and am I being honest about this game?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the feedback, everyone! Chareed, yeah I agree about the too much black. The overall image is alot darker than i want it to come across as.

Whyatt Trash, the camera is supposed to be atop a pile of junk, overlooking the other piles of junk and into the sunset. But I think you're right, there is a perspective problem with the horizon. Thanks for taking the time to do a paintover. It definitely helps me get what you're trying to say, lol.

SLN, the kind of game we're making is a racing game, one of the levels taking place in a junkyard. This game takes places in the not too distant future. A key design appeal of the junkyard is it will contain remains of objects modern to us, but old and outdated to the game world. The level features a torn apart cargo ship, a gutted Boeing 747, a freight train, among other things as part of the race track that the cars get to zoom through. I wanted to concept painting to hint at that, but not give it away entirely. Thanks for asking those questions tho, really made me think about the decisions I made for this piece, and what I should rework.

I'm currently reworking the sky - it really DOES look like a low res picture ripped off google ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pangarang View Post
    A key design appeal of the junkyard is it will contain remains of objects modern to us, but old and outdated to the game world. The level features a torn apart cargo ship, a gutted Boeing 747, a freight train, among other things as part of the race track that the cars get to zoom through.
    See, that's the kind of stuff that would make this picture interesting. Showing a junkyard race course littered with old ships and planes that you get to race through would get me a thousand times more excited than a picture of some vague trash lumps. I'd focus on making a picture selling that, what you just described.

Eric

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.