wip alien environment
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: wip alien environment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wip alien environment

have been trying to do some background stuff for my portfolio.there are some photo in the painting.Reallly want to make this painting more interesting. thinking of adding some blue lights. Thanks for looking and critiques

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm What is it?
    it could be a cave it could be the inside of an intestine. The eye is drawn to a specific spot but there doesn't seem to be much going on there. The richness of the red is so pervasive that it is hard to focus on the detail.

um I don't know its hard to critique it as an environment as the detail is flattening the image. by increasing as the space should be receeding

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At first glance the environment looks like its quite a big open area, but when I found the skull it made it appear to have an odd scale. One problem here is that you have no real colour change towards the back. A less saturated colour (receding into the distance) would help with the scale more, as well as pushing the lighter values in the distance. Although, that being said, I am not sure that you want a huge open environment.

Whatever the case, you first need to solidify the design. I'd say you need to work on some thumbnails and figure out what's in the environment. It does look alien, but apart from the ceiling and certain areas of the walls there's not much else telling me that it is.

When thumbnailing its fairly straightforward to block in good and interesting shapes with simple values. You get a lot done in a fairly short space of time once you get the hang of it and you can play around with the best ones, combine parts of each or you might settle on one of the early ones you've done.

Once you've decided which one you're going to develop you can start with blocking in more values, colours etc......

Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    *Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, it kindof looks like a colon... There's not much evidence as to what it's supposed to be or its function.

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply ,i agree it doesnt show the depth very well , maybe because the scale is wrong . i will try to improve the color and design . Thanks a lot for the critique

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you should add a foreground element (for example, trees, tubes, etc, and some sort of character in the middle of the enviro to help solidify the size impression.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.