Thanks

Introduction / First Attempt @ 3D

Hi. I'm Excee. I live in Canada and am currently attending my first year of art college. I'm 24 years old and I have lurked this site for a while. I really enjoy the posts, as well as all the constructive criticisms.

So here it is.. my first piece of 3d artwork. Our assignment was to model a hand using Quads. It's done in Maya 8.5 on a MacBook Pro. As always criticisms are appreciated.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one...
    Thanks
    That looks good. Never model a hand before but I am a bit experience with Maya and 3d software. I dunno your polygon limitations but looking at the palm of the hand, seems your surface is not quite correct. The center of the palm is flatter compared to the surroundings. Look at this for what I mean: http://www.thebizofknowledge.com/uploads/palm.hand.jpg
    SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    yo! Congratulations on your first post! I agree with the Maestro, the palm looks a bit flat. Another thing you might want to do is smooth out the ridge that you have forming on the bottom of the hand where the fingers meet the palm. I believe it should be a more padded look to it. Fleshing out that ridge should also help with the flat palm issue.

On the top/back side of the hand,the knuckles could be a bit more defined because it looks like there's a bit of a ridge there too. You kind of have a few dips there, but just make the depressions a bit stronger. Don't make the knuckles too noticeable though, they aren't really prominent at that position... at least not on my hands). Just keep looking at your own hand while you model, you'll probably see what I mean.

Otherwise, it looks like you're going in the right direction. I don't know too much about Maya so I'm afraid I can't help in the more procedural part of it, but keep pushing forward!

Thanks
    Thanks for suggestions fellas. The poly cont its at right now is where my teacher wants me to be. I will however fix those ridges and knuckles. The nice thing about this class is we can re-submit our work up until a week after it is marked to raise our grade on the assignment.