Sketchbook: J. Rose Sketchbook - Opinions & Tips Greatly Appreciated!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Hybrid View

Thanks

J. Rose Sketchbook - Opinions & Tips Greatly Appreciated!

Hello Evreyone,

I'm a new user, and am really enjoying the site.

I've been drawing for quite sometime, but have been in a bit of a lull with my art for awhile. Motivation comes and goes, and I haven't noticed any real improvement in quite some time.

I typically draw characters and effects for various video game ideas I come up with, and I recently finished a short horror comic story a few months back.

I'm going to post some random images of stuff I've been working on here and there, and any and all comments, opinions, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'll post some more up in the near future, as well as any sketches I may put together as progress works. If by chance your interested in seeing more, I have a modest website put up (link in sig) which though desperately needs an update, contains a larger body of my work.

thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Attached Images Attached Images                  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I see lots of promise here, jrose, but faults, too. (Who doesn't have them?)
    Keep posting......

Oh! And don't be too shy to talk to people. They want to help, and they'll appreciate your crits as well!

Have fun.....

Last edited by alesoun; October 2nd, 2007 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks
    i really dig your zombie pictures, those are very well done. Plus who doesnt love the undead?

Thanks
    Thanks alesoun, I'll definitely keep this thread updated with work.
    I'll be poking around the site quite consistently.

Thanks! Zombies and monsters are always a blast to draw.

Thanks
    Hey again,

Finished a couple of things, and working with a recent spurt of motivation to do a few more.

These are basically pieces for a Lovecraft themed independent video game concept I was commissioned to do awhile back. The project unfortunately fell through entirely, but I decided to continue some work on it regardless.

Attached is the promo piece for the game, which I post previously in an 'almost finished" state, a 2 pencil drawings I did.

As always, any comments, suggestions, and critics are very very welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Your inspired work and monsters seems to be some of the strongest stuff here. Your human characters have good proportion but feel rather stiff to me. The background of the Grand Asylum Chronicles of Cithulhu needs some work. The building is gray and red while the clock tower is gray and blue... seems to be a bit of a disconnect there. Keep on practicing and posting.

Thanks
    That first page really got my attention...some good volume and ideas. How much do you study from life, anatomy and such? A bit more knowledge will help even more, as well as some animal anatomy for the future

Neat monster idea in post #5. Paint that guy up with some accurate lighting and interesting color

Thanks
    Digging those zombies. It would be cool to see some natural drawings, also.

Thanks
    You got a nice start on your SB. Really dig those zombies designs. You seem to have a good sense with anatomy and such, but you could do better at it with some studies. Also, a thing I notice is that you push the value more on your pieces, especially in the color ones to make them more lively.

On another note, since you are into zombies, you may find this community activity interesting. It's called the Nightmare of the "Week". This time the challenge is to design your own original type of zombie. Seeing your work here, it will be a nice exercise if you participate there.

This is the link: NOW

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    Thanks for the responses guys!

I really need to polish up on the anatomy. I'm planning on taking some museum trips with a sketchbook, and drawing the classic sculptures.
    As they are now, a lot of my bodies seem very mannequin esque.

I noticed the throw off on the background as well with the Grand Asylum color image. I'm going to change up those red buildings, and get something in there with a more uniform color.

Thanks for the heads up on the zombie contest Maestro. That does sound up my alley, and I'm definitely going to check it out.

Thanks again everyone, and I'll post some more soon!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.