Master and Apprentice

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Master and Apprentice

Not much to say, I'll let the piece speak for itself. Comments and critiques are greatly appreciated!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    nice start. The style of the front figure doesnt seem to match the rest of the piece. The hands could use a lot of touching up on both figures. And just a little thing - her neck disappears against the wall because they are almost the same color

Thanks
    It's not very clear who's the master and who's the apprentice. Maybe you should add a few attributes to the pic to further display the type of character. Below are some ideas. You may disagree with these specific attributes cause they don't fit in your story, but the difference between them has to be portrayed somehow.

Master:
    - Older
    - More experienced, so should look more calm and relaxed
    - More battle experience Could be scarred, more muscles etc.
    - Could be either more refined while practical clothes, or shabby old man

Apprentice:
    - Young and lean
    - Nervous or excited for the opportunity to beat his master
    - Outfit less refined or complex, since he hasn't had the opportunity yet to gain social status, fame and money through his line of work. Alternately pompous and dressed with impractical jewelry and such, to try to show off

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Perspective-wise, you picked a scene that is elegantly simple, and therefore must be as perfect as an egg, because imperfections really stand out in such simple settings. Either you faked the perspective, or you rushed it, and it shows.

Composition problems: watch out for tangents, such as the parallel and horizontal line that kiss the edges of the blue dude’s head. Be aware of where your camera is, and how it lines up the characters against the background. For instance, the blue guy would be made more prominent and menacing if the camera were slightly lower, so that his head was above the horizontal green stripe. Also beware putting anything symmetrical in the composition, such as the pillar in the top center. The whole composition could be improved by cropping off the left side just at the edge of the woman.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    My only critique really is add more detail. I am struck by this image. It reminds me of some of Ralph McQuarrie's concept art, or some of the concept art for the movie Tron.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.