Thanks

Chrizimer's Concept Art to 3d Model Converter

Hello...

If I see a scifi concept art around here that meets my standards of amount of detail, correct perspective, and overall modelability, I may decide to model it. The image I choose needs to have enough detail so that I can any part of the model I need from the image, otherwise I'd need two images, in which case perspective and scale must be equal...or I'll die of confusion.

This is mostly to sharpen my skills. Although it would be nice and stuff, I don't texture models, cuz I suck at photoshop. Well, maybe it is because I am lazy.

I like industrial stuff. I like the spaceships, futuristic whatever vehicles, buildings... I like the environmental designs...of futuristic cities. (Should I choose to model an enviro, the sketch will need to be pretty well defined.)

Well, yeah, sharp edges help. Lot's of contrast seems to make shapes more well defined and hence the sketch is easier to understand.

First up, I've taken a liking to Adi.'s Galaxy Prize Racer from IDW #44. I have been modeling it in several steps (can you believe this stuff came from a 1x10 plane?

Who will be the next lucky concept artist?!?!

If you want me to consider modeling something, post an image of it here.

Step 1

Step 2

Low Poly 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

Low Poly 6 (~2000 Triangles)
    Last edited by Chrizimer; October 2nd, 2007 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Wrong number of triangles.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Sweet man! Hopefully I'll be doing stuff like this soon! Post more of em.

Thanks
    slight detour...

Promwa challenged that camera used in 3d programs and cameras (or human eyes) in real life see differently

He basically stated that there is a "curvilinear perspective" where lines appear to bend I suppose as a function of distance away from you. It makes sense actually. If you piece a panorama together, this effect is noticable.

I noticed that his conjecture about cameras in 3d ras also correct.

In the spirit of that, I went to create cameras that behaved differently. Using spheres in 3ds max 8, I created objects, and made them into one single object where I did a render to texture on the sphere (200 segs) using a projection mapping on the objects in the scene. I set my ray miss color to whatever environment color I see fit, then render a complete map. I'm using the surface of the sphere like a crazy camera with the same method I would use if I were using a low-poly model for normal map rendering off of the hi-poly model.

I had this crazy box thing set up and I toyed around and this is what I got.

The other two are the hemispherical ones with planar projection mapping on a spherical surface. The smaller one was a render from outside the group of boxes (looking inwards) even though it looks like you're inside the group.
    The larger render is from inside the boxes, looking out. I set the ray color to white to emphasize that you're looking out towards the illumination.
    Last edited by Chrizimer; October 4th, 2007 at 09:19 PM.
    My Concept Art 2 Model Conversions: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107443
    My CGTalk 3d WIP (no longer maintained): http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...?f=43&t=525210

Thanks
    Another detour: it's your favorite cubefarm again from the render above. I noticed that transforming all those cubes in local movement mode made them move in semirandom directions, which is why they are scattered like that in the first place. I made a vid of random shifts in local rotation mode:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/tw2081

3.11mb, 4sec
    My Concept Art 2 Model Conversions: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107443
    My CGTalk 3d WIP (no longer maintained): http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...?f=43&t=525210