3 4.84%
  • Peg

0 0%
  • Iwantjelly

0 0%
  • AjTron

5 8.06%

Thread: EOW#66 The Swamp Forest of Skull Island Poll

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EOW#66 The Swamp Forest of Skull Island Poll

EOW#66 The Swamp Forest of Skull Island Poll

The winner of the EOW# city on the underside of a floating island was [DAN]

For this Challenge we Had 31 images started, 22 going to poll. 3WIPS Several first time entries, several returning past winners.

We had 9 entries not marked as “Final”

1 person did not outside host their image It is not in the poll

Lots of beautiful work and a great round

New Round IS ON!
    EOW#67 The center of the Labyrinth

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=107293

Navarot

NO DESCRIPTION

HFix

"We hiked for hours searching for unseen things, until finally. At the edge of the swamp lye the skull of a mammoth, its massive skull engulfed the swamp around it; it truly has a sight to see."
    The prehistoric swamp lands of Skull Island were once the feeding grounds of some of the larges mammals to ever walk the earth. Many travelers enjoy hiking throw the swamp lands in search of such creatures.

Gaius

We landed in a swamp, trekked for days; we could feel the savagery, the utter savagery, had closed in around us, all that mysterious life of the wilderness that stirs in the swamp, in the jungles, in the hearts of wild men.

'And this also,' said Marlow suddenly, 'has been one of the dark places of the earth.'

Chaosrocks

NO DESCRIPTION

Cowboy_Surfer

In the heart of the island nothing lives but the mosquitoes, swarms of them that bite rellentlessly whenever life is near. The air is so humid that your can taste the moisture - dirty, damp, cloying, it stalls your breath.
    Here is where the island gets its name... a 30ft high rock carving. Clearly an idol to a death God from some long forgotten tribe. There are similarites to the Easter Island style but much, much darker...

Jason Strutz

Headquarters for the Bearded Skull band of egalitarian pirates is Skull Island. It has a small inlet which leads deep into the swamp where the pirates live their egalitarian lives in peace funded by their bearded pirate booty. The entrance and shoreline are decorated in old sails ripped to resemble skulls and the inlet is guarded by the docking tree where the ships are stopped and unloaded by a lower-back saving pulley system.

Dabble

NO DESCRIPTION

Corrick

"... there it was, exactly as the friar Viccezzi's text had described. A massive cypress, rotting in the middle of a swamp sixteen leagues inland from the shore. The proportions and distance were correct. He had failed, however, to mention the natives..."

-Exerpt from the Diary of the Renegade Don Carlo de Vincente, recovered 1571, Amazon River, Brasil.

Ilothcat

externally hosted now

blurbage:This forest was once the domain of blackbeard, and is now a national park. The "skull" rock formation remains as it was orginally found

Juliabax

Freelance pirate John Flatfeet was the only survivor to the shipwreck of cozy and compact caravel Nina. After managing to steal one of the boats from the ship, Flatfeet oars through the storm only to find himself ashore a deserted island. Going into the island through a small river, the pirate gets lost in a swamp that stretches as far as the eye can see - and apparently, inhabited by hostile monstrous beasts.

Lyconeus

Concept: A pirate captain murders his crew to keep the treasure's location a secret and buries the bodies beneath the nearby trees. In the years that follow the trees are nourished by the dead crewman and developed a taste for human flesh. Upon the captain's return he is in turn killed by the trees leaving the treasure still buried where the skulls lay thickest.

Edujante

Rit Rat and Rut are cheese finders, sombebody sold them a treasure map and 3 t shirts with the pi simbol(Stock tshirts used to promove the arenofskies film)
    Well,the map talk about a big gold cheddar´s piece..hummmmmm. slurp...
    This treasure is locates 20 feeds northwest from the mickeymouse skull..Rit rat and rut are afraid but they are nearrr...near....near....

David-David

AJCasparite

The story: The last rays of light fall through into the swamp forest illuminating the path that leads to the mouth of the skull, the entrance to Skull Island.

Artozi

Sin-K--sorry its an attachment

Revenebo

Reknown for its hot water springs, Skull Mountain is the favoured destination of retired pirates. At least for those who succeed in passing the deadly swamps surrounding it...

MarcoMazzoni

As the Global Protection Agency began enforcing it's strict anti-poaching laws of 2089, poachers felt the pressure to find even more remote locations to do thier dirty work. Unclaimed by any government organizations, Skull Island remains unprotected by these laws, leaving it ripe for the picking.

J.Mac

This is a special island where skulls of fallen warriors are brought to honor there sacrifice. At night you can see the glow of the skulls collection at this patch of trees in the center, no one knows why but they always seem to gravitate towards this one point and glow more intensely, until the touch the trees. Then the sky begins to glow brighter with each touch.

Peg

Iwantjelly

AjTron
    Final.
    “Deep in the island forest he stumbled across a colossal monument in the shape of skull speaking to the heavens. How creepy! he thought to himself.”

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to chaosrocks For This Useful Post:

Grim Reaper is offline I stared into the void last night,best dream I ever had Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Marco Mazzoni. Lots of good entries but this one somewhow I like most.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya Mazzoni's approach doesn't imply the subject directly, I like that. By reading the text you can follow the hunters' way go from space, to landing, to driving by boat into the direction of these mountains, plus the fact that the place is uncontrolled... oh I missunderstood, not the whole planet is called skull island as I first got it.
    I just recognized the lying skull structure on the mountains at the third look.

Artozi's is my favourite in color and mood, but it is less dynamic, cause the guy there seems to have reached his goal or I just can't imagine what he does there/whats the suppose of the skull place.

Jason Strutz: this is one that has some bizarre elements in it, I also like that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some of the artwork on here is truly breathtaking, im really impressed with everyones work, well done, i really don't know who to vote for.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello conceptart.Difficult to decide, for me it was challangeing to vote between Gaius,Edujante,Artozi,MarcoMazzoni and AjTron.Voted for Gaius in the end.

Gaius: Very nice work and form , i liked the way you modelled the skull the form is reading well in my opinion, my only critique is on composition.The tilted camera angle gives a lot of dynamism and "action" feeling to the piece wich is not sustained by some action in the painting.By "action" i am not meaning necessarely at ships or guys chaseing and shooting in the artwork but to visual "action" for exemple a fallen tree or ropes in perspective who help to link together more tight the foreground middle ground and background. The image you painted it seems for me a more descriptive shot then an action shot.Anyway this is only a personal opinion , i like the way you work very much congratulations.

Edujante:Very humoristique image, i liked it a lot ,tight execution. i don't know why but the feeling of the piece reminded me of the Secrets of The Monkey Island and the skull si absolutley funny.That only problem i see is not the drawing itself but it's subject, i take the image more as an illustration then an environment design.It is a good thing that we see some funny approaches.Very nice.

MarcoMazzoni:beautiful image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dan, thanks very much 4your crits, i know that this pic could be considered ilustration,it has all the elements, in fact there is a story inside.Anyway, i´m glad if i stole you an smile! i appreciate it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted Gaius- your picture is amzaing, excellent!

other favourites: Navarot, Edujante, AjTron

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Gaius- as I thought this captured the essence of the brief best - and it is a great painting. Great stuff here all around tho.

I wanted to also vote for Edujante, because of the fresh approach - I really liked this entry too.

My vision was an island of headhunters, and skulls on spikes, many half rotten for as far as the eye can see in a dense jungle. I will get to this one of these days...

Great job all!

Members who have read this thread: 1