Sketchbook: NB's SB (update: sketches and CHOW entries) - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: NB's SB (update: sketches and CHOW entries)

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one... Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey it's nice seeing you being so dedicated lately. There's a lot of nice things going on. Really dig the art crusade entry and agree with what Jakers mentioned about the sky. Just to add to it, just remember that even the sky and ground are elements that adds to the composition so use them as such to guide the eye and help the composition.
    I like the variety of the environments you have been doing but I feel in overall color wise, some look too saturated. You could play more with muted colors in the next ones and save the saturated for your focal points. Of course, mainly the use of very saturated colors all around creates more of a cartoonish look, if that has been your intent so far.

And the mouse turned out nice too. Keep it up!

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    malakai: Thanks for the comments! I'd love to sketch more, but we just got into sub-D modeling in school and... let's just say hell broke loose Hopefully I'll soon have time to study the art books I just got.

Maestro: Thanks for dropping by! I feel kind of ashamed now. Right after your comments on me being dedicated I stopped drawing/posting... blame school, Game Developer's Conference, and my own lack of organization! Saturation and colors are something I've been and will be struggling with. I'll try to do more master studies to learn how to figure out the moods better.

========================

art duel entry. I wanted to take this more to completion, but I have to get on a plane in a few hours. The character I'm dueling with (the blue lizard) was hard to draw too. I do feel more comfortable drawing human forms, though, and that can only be a good thing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow... for the past week and half I've been paining over sub-D modeling. This is my first experience with it, and it certainly didn't start very kindly. I think I over-scoped quite a bit in picking something very complex.

Now that it's done, I'm actually pretty happy with it. It's not air-tight, and the geometry is not perfectly quads like I tried to do, but it was definitely a good learning experience.

Back to painting daily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doesn't everybody love fun...?

Yup! There's nothing to beat it, and there's plenty of evidence of a love of fun in your art, Grace. I love your recent excursions into three dimensional work, too. Looks like you've taken to it like a duck to water. I'm fascinated by the whole 3D sub division modelling thing, and the limitless possibilities it presents for the artist, but this old brain of mine just doesn't seem to be able to cope with the quantum leap that's required to grasp all of the technicalities. The big bot thing you've produced is fantastic!

Can't understand for the life of me why no one has given you any stars yet. Your work is totally deserving of it. In fact... (fumbles in his magical bag full of stars and stuff) have five! I don't know why they don't show up immediately, but they will at some point.

Keep up the excellent work : )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Impressive!

You've shown such improvement lately, I always enjoy looking at your sb and latest updates Your 2D work (esp.your environments have been strong lately) and your 3D work is improving fast as well. Your latest model shows that well, all those details are amazing! I'm looking forward to see your daily paintings again

Oh, and I happen to have a few magic stars myself...I'll happily give you five of them

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, that 3D Model is awesomely amazing lol. Keep it up! Oh, and if you're on the evil side in crusades... I'm ready to challenge you sometime

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 467 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like this mecha. Has a pleasing WWII-ish aesthetic about it...

Question: Is the bottom shot seen from the front? At first I thought the top shot was the front, because of the orientation of the legs/feet... but, it seems like all the exposed motor and tank assembly would be at the (less vulnerable) rear, and it stands to reason that the quad-turret (Gatling gun?) and spotlight would face forward.

Do you have plans to texture and paint this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hethabyr: Thanks so much for the generous encouragement! 3D in computer is actually something I started learning due to practicality concerns, to make myself more employable and all. I was surprised when I started having fun doing it. I still want to try actual sculpting one of these days though, nothing quite beat the feeling of wet clay on your finger tips. Thanks for the stars, although I don't really think I deserve them just yet

AsaB:
    Thanks so much for the kind encouragement! I'll definitely keep going. It only takes one quick look around here for me to see where my goal lies. This forum is great in so many ways!

Malakai SinClair: Thanks for coming back once in a while! I'll take your challenge any time, just message me and I'll show you what evil is made of >: )

William b. Hand: Thanks for stopping by! The mecha is not of my design, but rather a cult favorite plastic model line produced in Japan called Maschinen Krieger(Ma. K). Not being a hardcore modeler, I can only make a guess that the head of this mech turns 360 degrees, and the reference photo I used just happened to have its head turned backwards As for texturing, we will be taught how to grab a normal map off of this and put it over a low-poly model, but I won't actually texture this exact model.

============================

I have one week off from school, and will be doing environment studies, if I can actually get myself to not slack off that is... Here are some mixed sketches I did today. About half of them are studies from photos, the other half either have invented elements or are fully fictional. All of these sketches are done quickly, between 5 and 30 minutes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MAN! Great landscape, keep it up!

I might have to get you to coach me on how to set those up sometime.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Malakai: About half of those are studies of photo I found photo reference for perspective and composition immensely useful.

=============================

A WIP for CHOW, and a DSG entry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, these two new ones are especially awesome. That character especially. So much detail and yet suprisingly simple.

That character is undoubtedly your best work I've seen here. Hell, I'd even say it doesn't need any color, but that's mainly up to you.
    As far as that landscape goes, it looks like a traditional instead of digital this time around. Cool composition, keep going on it.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm i really like the CHOW entry so far, the forms are coming together really nice, can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great environment/architecture studies...I used to do them but can't make as much time! Your keeping up a good mix of studying from life and testing your brain and I think its working. If you know in your brain you have something in particular to create, do some sketching of similar reference before you start to get your brain going; it might really help you push the ideas that are floating around up there.

The CHOW is interesting, play around with the design of the top of the head a bit more...not sure if the neck muscles are making total sense and his toe lengths arent matchin! I dont think...haha. I like the semi-modern clothing on such an alien being. I don't even know the topic but the umbrella in the pouch and attention to detail is selling him well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Malakai: Thanks much for the kind words! I put a lot of personal memories into the character, and I think that helped a lot - at least I enjoyed working on him a lot more.

jMarkus: Thanks a lot! I have finished it... hope I didn't butcher it. The coloring is not very well thought out, but I ran out of time.

Jakers: Thanks for your encouragement again! I liked doing the environment sketches, and they were actually fairly quick. I'm really really trying to get one-point perspective down, and I think I'm getting better at drawing semi parallel lines, slowly. I fixed up the CHOW entry some, and hope the neck is somewhat better. It made me happy that you noticed the umbrella, by the way

==============================

Break is over... be back to school tomorrow. The stress and the fun restarts in 3, 2, 1... For this update, I have the finished CHOW entry, a quick watercolor for COW, and a bunch of studies I did from one of the few DVDs I owned, a beautiful movie called Chicago.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man!! You really fleshed that character amazingly!

The CoW has a very traditional feel to it, did you do it with markers?
    Towards the back of the anatomy looks a little flat. Keep working on that one if you get the chance.

Nice sketches from that DVD. They have a real-world feel to 'em. I idol you for the ability to do that lol. I'll catch up to you sometime on that... Alot of the sketches I do like that end up feeling flat in comparison.
    Yours have loads of depth. MOAR MOAR MOAR!

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Malakai: I did the CHOW entry with watercolor. Thanks for the kind words!

========================================

Concept thumbnails I did for a class assignment. It calls for a head concept of a creature.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work..
    for your comment in my thread; sorry but i m just very droped down (hope i find the right word) cause in the moment everything goes wrong that cant be the worst.. (sorry, my english is very bad )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fast Art: thanks for the nice words. We all get frustrated sometimes, heck... I don't remember the last time I spent a week without any kind of frustration.

============================================

Big-ish dump this time around. These are sketches for a project I deem to be important, both for me personal growth and for my portfolio building.

Did all these thumbnails and sketches in the last day and half. Whee! The character is a treasure hunter who lives in a fantasy world built on top of modern world. Nothing is near finalized, so if you have any critiques to give now is a really good time Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Environment sketches, interior (bar) and exterior (town):

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Monster head concept for an up-coming mudbox class project. The assignment calls for a concept of creature head focusing on organic, unusual shapes and different surface textures, then we will build it in sculpy before modeling it in mudbox.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CRIPITIES! Watercolor?!
    MAN! Nice!

I love the armor concepts you've been working on, I should prolly do a giant page of those. And as an aspiring environmental artist, I can only appreciate those sketches. Good luck on the sculpy you've got coming up. I've played with it a little and it is REALLY fun to say the least.

Did you do all those character sketches up there off of one base model? Or did you draw each one seperately? Cool ideas regardless. Keep it up. And lemme know how that schooling of yours is going (jealous of you for getting in >.<)

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

cout<mecha is offline animation.visualization.c ollaboration Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hear Mudbox and ZBrush are similar. I've had demos of both but didn't get to into them. I would love to see what you come up with. Look at all this new material. Been busy?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Malakai: Thanks much! I did all the character thumbnails on top of one quick sketch I did. The anatomy wasn't really there, but I'll try to fix it up in the final character sheet. Anatomy is looking to be one of the things I'll be wrestling with for a while.

cout<mecha: I heard they are similar too, but I haven't used either. Sounds like fun though, because they are more organic ways of modeling. "Busy" doesn't even begin to cover my first week of the semester Must keep pushing. I want to get better badly.

=========================================

2 masks I textured for the team game. Fully hand-painted, texture size 512x512. A bit rushed because... well, we simply have too many projects going on this semester. Going to focus a lot more on the concept project I posted sketches for.

The other thing I'm posting is the model sheet for the weird creature head. I think I'm getting better at drawing different views of things. This isn't half as painful as the character sheet I did on page 1 of this SB.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots, of, sketches. I'm a bit sick of my sorry pencil lines, but at least I'm learning to deal with it. Transparent marker paper is my best friend.

Also attached are a couple of wips I'm working on for artcrusade/headhunting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rushed final for both the art crusade entry and the personal headhunting duel. I'm having to deal with too many assignment right now, hehehehe... thank god for coffee!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man you've done so much work since I was here last.

With the paintings, the recent ones...I would suggest doing more linework and sketching to figure out where things go....you can cover up the lines with your values later, but its much easier to use line to place things down I find - makes things more accurate and is faster...maybe give it a try.

Its really awesome to see this universe you're designing, I dont want to nit pick at it because its a nice encompassing group of studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jakers: Thanks so much for the kind comments I'm actually becoming a bigger believer for tight linework by the day. I did the crusade and duel entries purely in photoshop because I was getting a bit overwhelmed with the amount of pencil drawings I've been having to do. But I completely agree with you. Don't be too nice to pick on my little budding world either - the more criticism the better, really!

========================

Update: More things for the concept project - character sheets, vehicle sheets, and semi final character render. More to come in the next 5 weeks...

cout<mecha is offline animation.visualization.c ollaboration Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sketch has really turned into something outstanding. I admired it from afar for so long and now I can see every angle. Drool! Drool!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a gem of a sketchbook blue. excellent sketches and awesome mech 3d model, you are truly inspiring. keep it up ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a gem of a sketchbook blue. excellent sketches and awesome mech 3d model, you are truly inspiring. keep it up ;-)

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3