Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

NB's SB (update: sketches and CHOW entries)

I started this sketchbook during my second term at the Guildhall at SMU, training to become a game artist. I have spent my first year in the industry working as a concept artist in Austin. Recently, I started working as an environment artist for my dream project at my most favorite game company in the world. I intend to keep all the posts as intact as I can as a reminder of where I have been and how passionate I need to be.

My goal is to become a good artist. I want to be versatile, and I never want to stop evolving. I have recently gotten over the fear of creating bad art, and am on my way to fully enjoy making art again.

Original post#1 below:
    =========
    I'll be dumping my school projects, personal projects, and products of conceptart.org activities here almost daily. My goal is to become a professional concept artist. My focus right now is anatomy and perspective, while catching up on photoshop painting skills and general drawing skills.

Please critique mercilessly. Thank you =)
    Last edited by Nightblue; September 14th, 2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Update.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    My first attempt at designing a character that is actually a full human.

Thanks
    For a first attempt at a full human, your character design is pretty damn good. My only crit would be that her arms seem slightly too short. Her fingers look like they'd fall just past her groin, when in real life your fingers end about halfway down your thigh. Looking at it again, I think the main problem is that her legs are too short. A good rule-of-thumb for leg length is that your thigh to knee, and knee to ankle lengths, are both equal to the length from the pit of the collarbone to the bellybutton. If you length the legs and pull the wrists down more, it should fix the problem.

Other than that, I like it. That's a great costume design, by the way.

Thanks
    thanks a lot - I struggled with the proportions because I no longer have animal parts to hide my shaky human anatomy knowledge, and It was hard finding a comfortable place between the "chubby and healthy" realistic look and the "starved but sexy" look of a video game character.

Really appreciate the tips. It'll help a lot!

Thanks
    frontal view shaded quickly in photoshop. Did not have time to fix proportion because of class deadline, but hopefully I'll soon have a chance to tweak this.

Thanks
    cool character...nice costume...wanna see more!! keep postin'! bye
    "dear diary:..jackpot" my sketchbook

team chow

Thanks
    Thanks Dan

I need some suggestions here - paintovers or anything else are more than welcome.

This is the weapon for the character, a semi-automatic pistol/rifle, a bit odd I know. The tech level would be pretty much modern or near future, as for the same assignment we also have to model a vehicle that's actually in existence.

It is really plain right now, and I'd love some ideas to jazz it up a bit. Thanks lots!

Thanks
    I visited a local outdoors store and revised the gun. It will eventually be modeled in 3d and imported to UT2004 engine, so the front part needs too be the focal point.

Please critique and suggest... I really want the design to be right before I struggle to take it to 3d.

Thanks
    Just discovered the daily sketch group, fun fun

Thanks
    My first 3D model other than some tutorials this is the gun I posted above... or will be, hopefully.

3D is kind of fun, especially when things work, haha.
    Last edited by Nightblue; October 15th, 2007 at 12:01 AM. Reason: perspective viewport huh...

Thanks
    One more quick drawing before bed. Trying to learn to use texture brushes in photoshop. Subject is "Despair".

I need to look around more and collect all the cool brushes out there...

Thanks
    The girl concept looks very good. Nice that you put some 3d too. I used to play around in Maya. It’s been many moths without it thou. . I might start a bit again. It helps improving perspective and stuff. The last one is great for a quicky. Keep them coming! =)

Thanks
    Nice rifle design.

I do have a few suggestions, if you wanted to keep iterating on it;

It might be cool to add some ergonomic grip to the handle, and perhaps a grip on the forestock, where it could be held with the other hand.
    Would also be cool to add some wear and tear to it, in the texturing, adding small nicks and scrapes. Maybe some personalized elements, like grip-wrap. Make it look like it's really been used by someone, and they customized it to make it their own.

The paintings are great too. Keep it up!

Thanks
    joaKimArt: thanks for the encouragements. I sure will keep at it. This forum is such a energetic place.

voxelfog: I'm working on unwrapping the rifle still. I'm a complete noob when it comes to 3D programs, so this is taking me much longer than it perhaps should. I'll definitely add wears and tears. Thanks for your comments!

Posting something I did for daily sketch group here, and a quick concept art of a "dark-ish cartoony castle", which will be a game level for school, if everything works out that is... I hate the castle currently, so I'll try to take some time tonight and draw a new one.

Thanks
    Really good stuff and Nice Start !!!
    I like child and woman character.
    post pencil sketch too
    bye

MY --- SKETCHBOOK --- Meduse painting --- Diabolo painting ---
    Last edited by cucak; December 7th, 2007 at 02:01 PM.

Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast