Sketchbook: NB's SB (update: sketches and CHOW entries)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

NB's SB (update: sketches and CHOW entries)

I started this sketchbook during my second term at the Guildhall at SMU, training to become a game artist. I have spent my first year in the industry working as a concept artist in Austin. Recently, I started working as an environment artist for my dream project at my most favorite game company in the world. I intend to keep all the posts as intact as I can as a reminder of where I have been and how passionate I need to be.

My goal is to become a good artist. I want to be versatile, and I never want to stop evolving. I have recently gotten over the fear of creating bad art, and am on my way to fully enjoy making art again.

Original post#1 below:
    =========
    I'll be dumping my school projects, personal projects, and products of conceptart.org activities here almost daily. My goal is to become a professional concept artist. My focus right now is anatomy and perspective, while catching up on photoshop painting skills and general drawing skills.

Please critique mercilessly. Thank you =)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Nightblue; September 14th, 2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Update.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first attempt at designing a character that is actually a full human.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For a first attempt at a full human, your character design is pretty damn good. My only crit would be that her arms seem slightly too short. Her fingers look like they'd fall just past her groin, when in real life your fingers end about halfway down your thigh. Looking at it again, I think the main problem is that her legs are too short. A good rule-of-thumb for leg length is that your thigh to knee, and knee to ankle lengths, are both equal to the length from the pit of the collarbone to the bellybutton. If you length the legs and pull the wrists down more, it should fix the problem.

Other than that, I like it. That's a great costume design, by the way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot - I struggled with the proportions because I no longer have animal parts to hide my shaky human anatomy knowledge, and It was hard finding a comfortable place between the "chubby and healthy" realistic look and the "starved but sexy" look of a video game character.

Really appreciate the tips. It'll help a lot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    frontal view shaded quickly in photoshop. Did not have time to fix proportion because of class deadline, but hopefully I'll soon have a chance to tweak this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool character...nice costume...wanna see more!! keep postin'! bye

"dear diary:..jackpot" my sketchbook

team chow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Dan

I need some suggestions here - paintovers or anything else are more than welcome.

This is the weapon for the character, a semi-automatic pistol/rifle, a bit odd I know. The tech level would be pretty much modern or near future, as for the same assignment we also have to model a vehicle that's actually in existence.

It is really plain right now, and I'd love some ideas to jazz it up a bit. Thanks lots!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I visited a local outdoors store and revised the gun. It will eventually be modeled in 3d and imported to UT2004 engine, so the front part needs too be the focal point.

Please critique and suggest... I really want the design to be right before I struggle to take it to 3d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just discovered the daily sketch group, fun fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first 3D model other than some tutorials this is the gun I posted above... or will be, hopefully.

3D is kind of fun, especially when things work, haha.

Last edited by Nightblue; October 15th, 2007 at 12:01 AM. Reason: perspective viewport huh...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One more quick drawing before bed. Trying to learn to use texture brushes in photoshop. Subject is "Despair".

I need to look around more and collect all the cool brushes out there...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The girl concept looks very good. Nice that you put some 3d too. I used to play around in Maya. It’s been many moths without it thou. . I might start a bit again. It helps improving perspective and stuff. The last one is great for a quicky. Keep them coming! =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice rifle design.

I do have a few suggestions, if you wanted to keep iterating on it;

It might be cool to add some ergonomic grip to the handle, and perhaps a grip on the forestock, where it could be held with the other hand.
    Would also be cool to add some wear and tear to it, in the texturing, adding small nicks and scrapes. Maybe some personalized elements, like grip-wrap. Make it look like it's really been used by someone, and they customized it to make it their own.

The paintings are great too. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    joaKimArt: thanks for the encouragements. I sure will keep at it. This forum is such a energetic place.

voxelfog: I'm working on unwrapping the rifle still. I'm a complete noob when it comes to 3D programs, so this is taking me much longer than it perhaps should. I'll definitely add wears and tears. Thanks for your comments!

Posting something I did for daily sketch group here, and a quick concept art of a "dark-ish cartoony castle", which will be a game level for school, if everything works out that is... I hate the castle currently, so I'll try to take some time tonight and draw a new one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really good stuff and Nice Start !!!
    I like child and woman character.
    post pencil sketch too
    bye

MY --- SKETCHBOOK --- Meduse painting --- Diabolo painting ---

Last edited by cucak; December 7th, 2007 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UT2004 was not my fave to work with back when I was in school...don't make that thing tooo high poly If you have any 3D related questions you can shoot them my way..

Nice costume above, im a fan of the retro/clean/simple color schemed stuff. Her thumbs look turned down awkwardly, they should be slightly up (not a BIG deal, but just knowledge for the future)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This SB looks very promising. That character design is very strong as well as the gun. You did a good job with the 3d gun as well. Are you modeling the character too?

That last environment came out sweet. I notice some perspective problems with it though the only thing I see wrong with it is the perspective on the pillar on the left side of the piece as well as the circular. The vertical lines of the pillar doesn't seem to converge with the focal point of the castle verticals.

I have also been doing 3d, for a year now, so I can help you out some if you need it. Keep it up!

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cucak: Thanks for the compliment! I'll post pencil/charcoals once I get a chance to scan or photograph them. They are really messy though!

Jakers: I'll totally take you up on the offer. Please check back from time to time as I'll be posting more 3D stuffs over time, and please do point out anything that needs improvement. Thanks for the crit on the thumb... I need much more work on anatomy, especially hands.

Andres: Yes, I'll be attempting to model the character within a month. I'm not quite sure how it'll turn out. Thanks for your compliments. Now that you pointed it out, the perspective problem on the tower is really really obvious :|

==== Today's update====

tried my hands on hand-painted textures. Did use blur filter, so I guess it's not 100% hand-painted if you want to get really technical... one of them is a wall texture, the other one with no obvious light & dark is for the floor. Both are tiled 4x4.

Also learned smooth groups for 3ds max today, so here's the gun with smooth groups.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    finally textured the gun. There are a few minor geometry problems, but fixing them would cause my uvwmap to reset for some reason and I don't have time to redo the unwrap and texturing right now Anyhow, it's done! Please point out any improvements I need.

All textures are generated from scratch using photoshop with various filters and brushes. Also applied are bump maps and spec level map.

The other thing is a quick pencil sketch. It feels good to actually draw on paper again =P

Last edited by Nightblue; October 22nd, 2007 at 09:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More random stuffs. The 2 structures are my concept for part of a game level for my school project.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first 2 are new, and the 2 landscapes are exercises I did a few weeks ago.

I need anatomical critiques on the 2nd sketch, so I can develop it further. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Nightblue; October 25th, 2007 at 04:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 quick sketches and a 3D prop I made and textured.

Most of my recent time is spent on learning and modeling in 3D. I'm squeezing out whatever time I can to continue my 2D education, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job so far. I think what you need to really watch out for is line quality (me too!). The character design and the rifle is your best work here so far imho

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks line quality will be the ongoing battle because I have quite the unsteady hands. It's probably my short attention span or large amount of coffee intake.

This is a wip for the stylized animal challenge. I'll touch it up some more tomorrow, bring in more textures, and hopefully finish it.

the other thing is a quick sketch for the daily sketch group, a combination of a sea elephant and a lion.

Last edited by Nightblue; November 3rd, 2007 at 12:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The girl face is very cute. I totally love it and the colours you used for it. I think it reminds me of someone… More of that kind! So very good. ^__^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks joakim I'll continue trying to loosen up my photoshop drawings. I've been using photoshop to draw for almost a year but still feel WAY more comfortable with watercolor than photoshop. I'd like to change that... photoshop, you don't scare me...

Below is the finished dinosaur drawing, hooray for my first dinosaur drawing! And a quick sketch of some freaky robot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your dinosaur piece end up pretty good, but the background could need some work. I know that BGs can become a problem sometimes, but they are a fundamental part of the piece as well. The perspective of the buildings is one of the fundamental flaws, just remember the two point perspective for an exterior such as this and you can fix it easily. The buildings and forest seem to differ in style compared to the dinosaur. Somebody in the forums told me that the BG are part of the character as well, so they should be treated with the same focus so that all they fit together, like in the same way the grass is well defined on the FG, there should be more of it defined on the middle and background.
    Also, considering that your main light is coming from the BG, there shouldn't be any front highlights on the horns, there could be a very subtle one because of the reflected light, but right now there are too intense. The same goes for the cylindrical structure and buidling, which front sides should be more in shadow.
    Hope that helps some, keep updating!

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks lot for taking the time to comment! Focus is one of the many things I need to improve. By the time I got to the background of the dinosaur painting, my attention span pretty much expired... I'll be sure to really complete it soon. Also, thanks for the advice on the horn. I somehow excluded them from my lighting consideration completely! Newbie mistakes, haha.

This is for daily sketch group. I'll try to do more drawings this week... seeing the 100 creature challenge in the weekly creature forum really made me feel stimulated and ashamed at the same time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving the work so far!

Your style is very pleasing to the eyes. It's talent with a hint of humour & cutness in there. Not much to say against your work other than what nigh7shad3 said about you line quality. I would say to watch out for that as well, although I am guilty of that at times as well

Look for to being a frequent visitor though. Your pieces are just great

Please help a criticism craving artist out!
    Visit:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110116

And PLEASE tell me what you think!

As a bonus, I'll even come by a check out your sketchbook!

FOR FREE!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While its hard to put my finger on one, I think all your stuff is very, very nice. Its very entertaining to look through and the wide variety of colors is really fantastic. I don't know what to say about your anatomy but it better than mine...

Post number 14 is really, really cool.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.