Thanks

Warhammer: Please lock I'm going to start another

Just thought I'd share what I've been doing lately. I've been painting some of my Warhammer figures, I'm better at it than at canvas painting, that's for sure.

An Orc Boss

The army's general

A Standard Bearer (nearly finished)

And finally a Drummer (I'm doing the base before I stick the drums on)

Anyone else here into this fun yet expensive hobby?
    Last edited by Swift (BM); October 12th, 2007 at 11:08 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think this belongs in Finally Finished or C&C....But the models look good.

Thanks
    Well I didn't really think they belonged in any of the art sections. Well a mod will see this thread eventually, they can move it if it needs moving.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong anyone (IANAP, I am not a photographer), but here's a word of advice on setup.

Go to a room with white wallpaper, or go outside, preferably a somewhat cloudy day. If you're inside, get close to a window during midday. If it's later, turn on all the lights you can find.

Most importantly, make sure you have a light almost behind you (while not obscuring it). Also use a fill light, you can swat 2 flies here by taking a large sheet of white paper and bend it up against some bottles. The white of the paper will prevent shadows to some degree, since it reflects a lot of light.

---

Attaching some decade old miniatures. I did the bases before taking the photo though. Finished bases can make a world of difference in presenting your figs. I prefer the fine green saw dust and fully painted base rims since it detracts less from the figure. Also, dust off the miniatures. I washed them under the tap band cleaned them up a bit (before making the bases). I don't have a lot of time or patience for this stuff anymore. If anyone's interested I can do a tutorial at some point maybe. There's a a few simple approaches which can have large effects.

Despite knowing at least a bit about photography, I rarely make use of it because I'm sloppy and lazy. Most of my time I end up trying to rescue my pics in photoshop with various curve and sharpen tricks. I really screwed up both focus, exposure and focal depth in the photo below. Even though I could somewhat salvage the pic in PS, it really shows that I messed up. It's strange, but the pic looked fine on the display, but when I got it up in PS... well, let's just say the lightness was on par with the subject, Night Goblins!

I think the biggest problem with your pics is the light coming from the wrong direction with two little ambience. Coherant bases would be nice too. The gap between your sheets in the BG is a bit annoying too. You seem to be getting pretty good macro distances though.

Focus
    It's really hard to see if you got a sharp pic on some digi camera displays, or at least it's a hassle. Make sure you put your camera in Macro mode if you have one on your camera. Macro mode means you can get some 5-20 cm from the thing you're photographing.
    Gentrly squeezing the trigger can cause some cameras to autofocus in on a cerain area an lock there, which can be useful.

Shutter time (exposure time)
    The longer the exposure, the more likely it is you get a blury pic since you might be moving the camrera while doing the exposure. If you use a tripod or support for the camera you can make the exposure time longer safely. Shorter exposure time means a darker image or more noise in the pixels (depending on your 'film' sensitivity (iso number, there might be a setting in the camera for it)). Of course, you may also risk overexposing the image making it to bright.
    If you are taking photos in the RAW format, you are less likely to be destroying information though, since the intensity data hasn't been clipped into the 0-255 RGB spectrum yet... but this is advanced ninja stuff Average Joe never cares about.

...Blinder, or f
    This is like the human iris. Our eyes open up during night time to let in more light, and cameras can do the same. Since they let in more light, you can shorten exposure time. It's likely that you can chose from f 2-8 or something on your camera. It's good to be able to shorten exposure time, but, the drawback is that you lose your depth focus. A smaller hole (letting in less light) will give you sharpness at a longer depths (like stuff in the background and foreground alike). I guess this is because a smaller hole will let in the light rays more in paralell. f 1 is fully open f 32 is a very small hole. f 2 to 8 is pretty normal on some cameras. In the case of miniatures, you might need a larger number to make the whole figure sharp. f 8 maybe, I dunno.

Also, whitebalance! (You seem to be doing this on some pics, but one came out a bit yellow it seems.) It does a lot of difference. Basically you tell the camera what is white so the image can be adjusted. If you don't, the camera shots indoors may come out orange like a webcam/myspace pic.
    Set to Clouds if you have window light, lightbulb if you have... lightbulbs and little or no window light. The WB presets in cameras is surprisingly good. Sometimes even Auto works. Sun is for sunny outdoor weather, and light tube is for white light.. like in schools and stuff.

Attachment 210493

Attachment 210464
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; September 30th, 2007 at 01:34 PM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Trying to follow my own advice... I can never seem to get a hang of focus. It seems to be trial and error as there's no way to tell if an image is sharp until you get it up on the screen. Maybe I should just read the manual and figure out what the closeness-focus-limit is for macro mode and how to set the bounding box for auto focus. I don't know what manual focus is for as there's no way to tell what the heck you're doing. Digital zoom kinda sucks.

This is 1.3s f11, weak indoor lightbulb. Some minor Photoshop curves. Horrid focus though. Minolta DImage A200.

The miniatures are Legion of the Damned, Chaplain, Terminator Chaplain. Painted some decade ago. I bought some paints again recently but haven't done much with them.

Yeah prices have gone up a lot. You used to get like 4 Dire Avengers in a blister for £5 or whatever and I thought that was expensive back then. Jes Goodwin's stuff is the best. Paul Bonner's orks rocks the house. He has a site btw. It will make you weep. http://www.paulbonner.net/
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Those are pretty good. They should be in the 3D & Sculpture area.

Thanks
    Nice looking models...

After reading this thread I dug out some Tau I painted a while back.

Thanks for the photo tut Prom...

Attachment 210596

Attachment 210597

Attachment 210598

Cheers,

Nis
    Fall down seven times, stand up eight...
    My Sketchbook
    My tumblr

Thanks
    Cool. The Tau and Kroot are nice, but I'm not too keen on the large mobile suits. They don't flow well.

I think EPIC stuff is a bit more interesting than the 28mm stuff in some ways. It's more like old game sprites, small, cute and open for interpretation. I got some old Chaos and Orks I wanna paint up some day.

Trying camera portrait presets... they're not bad at all. It's too dark though (middle of the night here, I only have a 60watt roof and desklamp.)

Thanks
    Wow, some nice stuff there guys! I will have to reread that several times to understand it fully promethius, but I will try to take note. I have a desk lamp but it doesn't twist sideways very much, I try to get as much light on the models as possible without blocking it out. I don't have a tripod but I'll try a small pile of books. Also, the background is actually a large shoebox lid, with a sheet of paper in front. Well I would like a mod to post and say whether these pictures belong in any of the other sections, then i'll make a new thread.
    Oh and those Termis and Night Goblins look pretty old.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ View Post
    If anyone's interested I can do a tutorial at some point maybe. There's a a few simple approaches which can have large effects.
    Oh Prom, please yes! I'm getting into these and any advice would be welcome.

Nismo : that's some great looking grass you got there!

Thanks
    Hey guys. Could a moderator please tell me if Warhammer models fit into any of the art sections of this site? Please let me know so I can start an army blog here on CA.

Thanks
    moved to 3D/sculpture, don't let it stop you from posting here
    WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Thanks
    Thanks for moving this.Though I think I might start a new topic to clear the replies. Please lock this!