Painter 8 and the Custom Palette

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter 8 and the Custom Palette

I've been using painter 8 for a week now and I've noticed something that I miss and it doesn't seem to be included in 8, but was in 6 and 7, the custom palette. The one where you could drag out a brush or a paper texture and it would make its own palette, you could even have brushes from different libraries in the same palette without going through the hastle of putting them together in the brushes folder.

Is it still there or did I just miss it somehow? Or is it gone forever? If its gone I would like it back because I found it to be very very convenient.

visit my online webFolio @
    http://www.PeterSakievich.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

Another Painter 8 user discovers things we need have been removed!

Custom Palettes are gone.

Ready access to brush controls for on the fly setting adjustments is gone (Brush Controls palette is gone).

The keystroke to initiate Scripts is gone. It was Ctrl/Command+K and that now opens the Edit > Preferences dialog bos. I've asked the new Painter Program Manager, Rick Champagne to find out if there's another keystroke command for scripts... weeks ago.. and have heard nothing from him since.

When you make a brush Size adjustment, it's gone when you switch to another brush variant and back again... unless... you also make some other adjustment like Opacity for instance. Then the Size adjustment sticks.

There's a mile long list and it's growing, that includes missing items, bugs, and errors in the Painter 8 User Guide.

This site has a thread to add your wish list items and other comments as does my site, TutorAlley Forums where you're welcome to join in the fun and add to the list. URL's below my signature.

Sorry about the Custom Palettes. I want them back too, as do lots of other long time, loyal Painter users.

One user says "My workflow has been beheaded." Another says "...they've shredded the application..."

I hope Corel is listening as Tanya Staples assured us she was before she left her job as Painter Program Manager. I miss her. She was responsive, helpful, and always willing to listen. We need more of that, and ....

some serious action!

We don't need Painter 9.

We do need Painter 8 fixed, as we needed Painiter 7 fixed... and.. and....

Corel has been taking a survey about Painter 9. I'm afraid it will be just as it was with Painter 8, a token effort with questions that don't cover the really important issues.

Write to Rick Champagne, if you want:

Rick Champagne
    Program Manager, Corel Painter products
    Corel Corporation
    rick.champagne@corel.com

We can always hope that if enough of us let them know what we want, they'll do something about it.

Good luck,

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I just sent him an email!

I've just started using painter 8 and though I like its new layout, the organization of the brushes, and some of the cool stuff in the brush creator (transposer and randomizer), I really liked the custom palette and for some reason they shrunk the color wheel down too.

We ought to set up a brush trade on this site somehow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Below is the reply I received from Rick Champagne. It seems they they are at least "investigating" its return.

"Thank you for sending along this feedback. I believe this functionality was lost in part because of the user interface overhaul that Painter received. I’ve been hearing the same thing from some other users, but rest assured that I am investigating what we can do to bring it back."

I just hope they actually do something about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sakievich,

Thanks for writing to Rick and letting us know what he had to say.

Every bit of user feedback they get helps.

We all want Custom Palettes back, except for folks who never knew what they were missing or used Painter on such a simple level they didn't need them.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool Work around to custom palettes

You can make your own.

On the right of the brush category/brush type menu there is a triangle which folds down to show some custom parameter options ... read the Helpfile for capture brush category.

You can even make a little icon for your custom brushes.
    Then you can go to erasers, oils, photo and edit a brush variant and use the copy variant option to paste your favourite brush parms according to the little pop up window.

If you make a brush category called _custom it will be right at the top of your brush types list.

Apart from that, I didn't really use previous versions, but I think that covers the palettes idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    custodian,

This is a partial solution to the missing Custom Palettes, but it doesn't cover it fully.

With Custom Palettes, we could drag a brush category icon, Papers icon, Patterns icon, Script icon, or any other icon off the palette and either onto the Painter screen to create a new Custom Palette, or into an existing Custom Palette.

In addition, we could add buttons to initiate main menu and palette menu commands.

With a single click on a brush category icon we could load whatever brush library that brush category belonged to and whatever brush variant was selected at the time the brush category icon was dragged into the Custom Palette would be active.

With a single click on a library icon, we could load that library, be it Papers, Patterns, Scripts, Gradients, etc.

With a single click on a menu command button, we could initiate that command.

In addtion, we could create and save multiple Custom Palettes to open and use for any project.

The capabilites, obviously, were great and a huge convience as well as making the workflow much smoother and faster.

This is why we are all so stunned to have Corel remove Custom Palettes. It was a very unwise and very strange decision.

I am trusting they will return Custom Palettes to Painter 8 in a patch and we won't have to wait until Painter 9 is released, but there's not much indication this will happen in the near future.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found the missing Custom Palettes a real bother also. The Brush tracking helps some, but not enough. I actually liked the Painter 7 interface and brush control menu. I understand why they made it simpler, but I wish there was a option for the old controls.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TRIUMPH!!!!

Corel has put custom palettes back into painter 8 with theri 8.1 update

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.