Art: Painting sculpey !

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painting sculpey !

hello all

I just recently got interested (a lot) in sculpting with sculpey, so far I have two models and I'm very interested in painting them.

However I am new to this, and I have lots of questions... I want to know which kind of colors can I use, how to use them...

Thanx in advance for any kind of answers-advices

Cheers

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well im pretty new to it too, but i used acrylics applied with an airbrush.

its was tricky, but i managed.

get to know me more @ http://dal123.aisites.com
    .. and dont laugh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just normal acrylic paint works fine. You don't need to prime before you paint on super sculpy but you can. You can use a normal brush or anything you wish to paint with, hell you could use your fingers if you wanted to, but I don't recommend it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, thanx a lot for quick answers ! I truly appreciate it guys.

Got one more question...
    while baking, one part of model broke and got completely separated.
    how do I attach it back ?

I was thinking to use sculpey to attach the part and bake again, but im worried that it might crack even more.
    what do you guys say ?

and again thanx a bunch !

oh yeah... as soon as im done im gonna post my works to get some opinions

greets !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just use any kind of super glue or epoxy, it'll stay there forever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    many many thanxs !!!

one last question (sorry if im boring )

in regard of painting, acrylics are matte right ? so how do I make it shiny for bits like tongue, open mouth and stuff like that ?

I believe that this is the last question on me mind
    and again, many thanx to you all

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Matijevic. I've found most acrylics (mainly the cheap "craft" kind I use) to be quite shiny. I spend more time trying to make them look matte than adding shine.

You're right that places like eyes, tongue and lips do need more gloss though. For that I use Future floor polish as an overcoat. It dries to a durable hard finish with depth and high gloss. Several model and sculpture painters use it, so it's a well tested and long standing technique.

As far as painting Sculpey in general, make sure to clean your baked sculpture with dish soap and water before painting. This will remove oil that has transfered to the clay from your skin. The paint will stick better to a cleaned surface.

Like dark_wraith said, you don't have to prime before you paint but I find a white primer works well if you're using bright colors. This makes the colors "pop" without having to use so much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    acrylics can be matte or gloss. you could use dull coat for matte areas and a gloss varnish for the mouth, eyes and thing like that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    every time I've painted my sculpy stuff, using either model paints (for warhammer etc.) or acrylics the sculpt becomes somewhat tacky afterward. how can i resolve this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've found most acrylics (mainly the cheap "craft" kind I use) to be quite shiny. I spend more time trying to make them look matte than adding shine.
    Never had that problem...most cheap paints I've ever used dries to a dull matte finish. I guess it depends on what brand you are using.

You're right that places like eyes, tongue and lips do need more gloss though. For that I use Future floor polish as an overcoat. It dries to a durable hard finish with depth and high gloss. Several model and sculpture painters use it, so it's a well tested and long standing technique.
    There is plenty of other stuff that can give the gloss look. I use "Crystal Clear Glaze" from Krylon...gives a good glass-like shine. Can also use high gloss wood floor sealant like from Miniwax, but it might discolor anything that is light in color.

well im pretty new to it too, but i used acrylics applied with an airbrush.
    Airbrushing is great for some detail work, but can use a brush. If you don't have an airbrush, you could try "drybrushing". Just put a little paint on the brush, get the excess paint off by doing a few strokes on cloth or a piece of wood...then lightly go over your sculpture. It will highlight the raised areas of the sculpture.

every time I've painted my sculpy stuff, using either model paints (for warhammer etc.) or acrylics the sculpt becomes somewhat tacky afterward. how can i resolve this?
    If you put paint on too thick, it won't dry out properly. Most model paints are enamel (the kind that stinks), and if you get them a little too thick they will stay sticky. I think that acrylics for professional artists are thicker and end up being more sticky...try cheap craft paints...they don't seem to have the problem of being sticky.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ive so far found the best thing to use was games workshop's paints. but that could just be because im familiar with painting warhammer models.

they do seem to be high quality for the price, they are packed with pigment, so you can water them down endlessly (unlike windsor and newtons acrylics that just go bleurgh when you water them down).

and for shiny areas i tend to go over with a layer of their gloss varnish ('ard coat i think its called). i swear, im not on commission, im just impressed by them.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.