Page 5 of 102 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Hey all.

Done this image a while back, and i think it went okay for my first go at digital painting.
    http://lkodel.deviantart.com/art/An-apple-64896765
    Any comments/crits to help me improve are welcome!

I am now working on a slightly larger painting, a bowl of fruit. It is going okay but very slow, I need to work on my technique or something to speed up.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    oo a new digital painting in photoshop thread! just reading through the first few tutorials were really helpful Min, so thanks a bunch for that gotta figure out why my PS doesn't wanna work on this pc.. maybe I can sneak in to this with some painter studies at some point? hehe no harm in asking, right?

Thanks

Unhappy

Man some of you guys make colouring look so darned easy! I tried an apple about maybe a month or so ago when I was lurking the old thread. Hopefully tonight I can get on my (shared with my brother) comp and give it another go!

It seems to be a bit pastel-like for me without any volume

Attachment 219789
    "I'm a damsel, I'm in distress, I can handle this! Have a nice day."

...Some sort of sketchbook...

Thanks
    First Post! After lurking for some time, I have finally gained enough courage to actually put something up.

Also, thanks bumskee for this excellent tutorial

here is my onion

Thanks
    Well, I feel a little silly offering critique, because I don’t really feel that I am of the required skill level to be giving advice to many of you… However, everyone seems to want input, myself included, and since I shouldn’t expect from others what I don’t take the time to do myself- here goes.

Bumskee: I took some time to peruse your sketchbook/website... wow, stunning work. Thanks so much (again) for taking the time with this thread; it's a great source of motivation (as opposed to the inspiration/frustration which the "It's Finished" section provides) and that really means the world Your onions on page one of this thread are simply amazing...

Noxartemus: Love the pear… In my beginner’s opinion, you really captured the colors and textures perfectly.

Stoat: I’m not sure what you mean about the perspective- they look a lot like apples to me . To my untrained eye, they seem a bit too shiny… aside from that, or even with that, beautiful.

Kosher_Commander: lol, love the name… maybe the context of fruit and vegetables just makes it better? Anyhow, I like the soft, blended feel you gave to your pumpkin… maybe a bit too soft?

BeckyHew: The apple looks fantastic. I seriously don’t see anything about it I would change. The harsh lighting makes for nice sharp contrast.

Rsoffar: You did that with a mouse? Wow… I respect the sheer amount of patience you must have. The apple looks a bit lopsided in the lower right corner, but I definitely understand the difficulty of sketching with a mouse.

MrArmadillo: The colors look perfectly natural- if they were changing before your eyes, it definitely doesn’t show. I am a bit unclear about the white circle on the side… I would guess that it’s a sticker, but only because of the tiny little tab.

Private Walter: While you seem to have the colors down, the overall 3-D feel is missing… The sketch of the shadow also doesn’t really seem to be where I would expect, based on the way the apple is lit. I would probably try to take a simpler object, like a sphere, and analyze the way the values change.

Daray: I definitely see what you mean about the pastel feel, but I like the style. It’s unique.

Bonaparte Jones: You really got all the colors there! I am just now learning to see all the colors in an object, and your painting definitely helps with that sort of thing. The part of the onion visible between the crack in the outer skin doesn’t seem finished though…

I wish I had more time to paint... Although, even as I write that, I know there is no excuse Here's my second photoshop painting:

Attachment 221971

Not exactly a fruit or a vegetable, so I hope that isnt against the rules... It remains unfinished because I foolishly started painting it in the sunlight, which I only get to paint once a week when I am not at work. That being said, at least now the process is clearly visible and y'all can give me some tips about that.
    Last edited by ender62; October 20th, 2007 at 01:43 PM.

Thanks
    Read some of part one, and I'm very impressed. I'm just new to photoshop and this site (this being my first post ever).

This is my first try of painting something from life in photoshop, all I've done before this is editing photos.

You should note that I've used a crappy touchpad to do this (I really want a tablet, but I'm short on money):

Digital Painting In PS #2

1: My apple as I first made it; yesterday
    2: Today: Added highlights and smoothed it a bit
    3: Today: Added more shadows
    The bonus one: For fun, just played around with some settings. It's the no. 3 which is the 'finished one'
    Last edited by Iliada; October 21st, 2007 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Replaced picture

Thanks
    Here's my attempt at this,
    [B]Blog

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zeeble For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My first real try.

Ok this is my first post and my first real serious attempt at digital painting. I'm fairly experienced with traditional paints but i've always been frustrated with working with tablets and photoshop. After reading through some tutorials on here I realized my settings just really sucked. I worked on this for about an hour and a half and it was pure joy. Thanks for all the great info guys!!!
    Last edited by Animbot; October 20th, 2007 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks
    here's my first: sorry for lack of intermediate steps: First is the base drawing, the next is the final. I've really had trouble trying to render sharp edges in the apple, and some of the midtone colors. I'll still try to make at least one of these daily, to see how it goes. TIME: about 30 minutes straight.

One question for the master bumskee: how come does the third brush in your basic.abr have two darker holes in the middle of the lighter circle? wouldn't just the large circle work the same?
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks

Red face

here's my 3 step apple from today.. much harder than yesterday.. and I confess, that I played a bit with the levels in the end.
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    the clock is to much here, so i'll just say some short words in addition to my onion picture. But it was a rewarding excersize for me at least. don't have any progress shots, sorry for that
    about 45min.

Thanks
    Bravissimo, Stahr!

Thanks

Why a solid brush? Why not a 50% flaired brush?

I drew a face in 45 minutes, but I didn't finish. I drew it out of proportion and used liquify to get everything in it right place, and I used the brush set on color to change the coloring. I always like drawing with a flaired brush so everything blends as I work. Every 30 to 45 seconds I did a save as, to have a picture for each of my steps. I stoped at 60 pictures, and made a movie.

I don't know why people like to use the solid brush and then smuge or what ever. Maybe you can explain what makes that way better. I also like to use a laser mouse, and I have had a tablet, but I will stick with the mouse. In the meanwhile check out my movie http://archie-chipps.com/new/Faces.mov

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AChipps View Post
    I drew a face in 45 minutes, but I didn't finish. I drew it out of proportion and used liquify to get everything in it right place, and I used the brush set on color to change the coloring. I always like drawing with a flaired brush so everything blends as I work. Every 30 to 45 seconds I did a save as, to have a picture for each of my steps. I stoped at 60 pictures, and made a movie.

I don't know why people like to use the solid brush and then smuge or what ever. Maybe you can explain what makes that way better. I also like to use a laser mouse, and I have had a tablet, but I will stick with the mouse. In the meanwhile check out my movie http://archie-chipps.com/new/Faces.mov
    Brilliant video, AChipps! I dunno if you know or not, but you can embed youtube videos in forums, makes it quicke and easier to see vids.

My only real crit of the face you produced in the vid (and is also true of the animal face in your profile pic) is that it is very flat. I think it might have somehting to do with the way that you work on the each component of the face seperately, with only a very vague impression of the rest of the face.

For example, in the video you start off with a big fleshy-pink circle for the face, then go straight into placing the features which are all then paintined seperately ( and highly accurately). This results in a 'pie dish' face.

Maybe you could try to paint a face ina three-quarters position and see how your liquify technique handles it.
    ART BLOG

"Admitting that free man may err, in no way invalidates the importance of his ability to decide for himself."
    Robert LeFevre

"laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Cesare Beccaria

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerazzo View Post
    Bravissimo, Stahr!
    Thank you, I was quite pleased with the result

Quote Originally Posted by AChipps View Post
    I always like drawing with a flaired brush so everything blends as I work

I don't know why people like to use the solid brush and then smuge or what ever. Maybe you can explain what makes that way better. I also like to use a laser mouse, and I have had a tablet, but I will stick with the mouse.
    When painting with hard brushes you often work work from big shapes to small defining on the way with picking colors between and mix them in with low opacity hard brush. read what bumskee says in the first post and I think it will enlighten you on how you can get a good blend with hard brushes.
    Are you shure you got the right settings for the tablet? som people might find them wrong just because someone set them to mouse mode (I'm teaching digital painting-basics).
    Last edited by Stahr; October 24th, 2007 at 06:36 AM.

Page 5 of 102 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast