Digital Painting In PS #2 - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Painting In PS #2

Jonish is offline Writer of The Book of Void Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    grenappels: thank you, I'll try to make something else from still-life soon, because I spent last days by reading a bit about heads and screwing up simple postapo ideas :-)

Strange powers drag you through the black tunnel until you see mysterious Book of Void awaiting you.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    grenapples: thanks, I'll keep it in mind for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

walnut shell

All right another try - wallnut shell, I stole it from my rat's cage :-)

grenappels, this took only 2,5h, but I'm afraid that I didn't manage to make the shadows as good as they should be. :-)

crits are very welcome!

Strange powers drag you through the black tunnel until you see mysterious Book of Void awaiting you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Latimer: ok thx, i will from now on NOT save them as .psd

ok here we go again:

first ever:
    Name:  firstapple.jpg
Views: 3024
Size:  53.5 KB

second:
    Name:  secondapple.jpg
Views: 3022
Size:  65.0 KB

third:
    Name:  thirdapple.jpg
Views: 3027
Size:  50.6 KB

I'm sry for no background <.< and not showing how i managed to make them. I guess I need to train more to take my time and not haste my projects.

Last edited by Archdemon; January 5th, 2008 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Archdemon, I love your colours, the apples look so shiny! Maybe you should watch more the shape of whole apple.

Last edited by Jonish; January 5th, 2008 at 01:01 PM. Reason: wrong name typed =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally got myself a Wacom! Now I can fight my Digi painting weakness

First attempt

Second attempt, looks a bit too plastic.

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr Man, your second attempt is a lot better than the first, you brought your tones to a much darker color, the only thing I can comment on is the top of your apple, where the stem is, you've made it flat.

Yes you added some darker values to signify the depression, but it looks flat and not concave like it should.

Nice work overall!

Archdemon, your colors are almost dead on, or atleast getting very close, but the over all shape doesn't work, you're make almost symmetrical ovals and random shapes and not getting a distinct apple shape. You've got the coloring, maybe do some contour drawings before you post again, get the shape down first. Awesome coloring job overall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nashi, asian pear. The little spots didn't turn out as well as I hoped...

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Magnel: thx alot, do you know how i should do some good exercise? Buy a bunch of apples or should I use any technique?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Archdemon, you shouldn't really have to go and buy some apples, looks at something around, pop cans, bottles, any thing small, a cup, and just do some contour stuff. Study the outside lines, with out any shading or color, just get the outside lines down pat. Maybe just look at some apples on the internet atleast, just for reference of shape, because you've got form down.

Pretty_Angel, nice form and light detail, interesting colors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jonish - I love the nut shell. but there is something about it that doesn't do it 'totally', for me. I think it's because the colours feel too flat for me, they don't contrast enough.

pretty_angel - I think you have my problem - supplying too much white. Try doing what grenapples suggested, when rendering try not to use white at all until the very end, then only use a drop of it.

archdemon - very impressive for a first time With your next one, try focusing more on the over all form rather than the colours though.

mrman I agree with magnel when he says your second attempt is much better than your first, the contrasting is a lot better, but it still feels a bit grey-washed. Also, don't ignore the stem! *thumbs up*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    latimer: thank you, next time i'll try to watch itduring painting and maybe use some filter or something at the end... bad thing is that i think that you or somebody else told me that it's wrong before, and it still persists

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another still life, I tried something with strong shadows, to make some contrast at last... Well... Maybe pattern screwed up contrast again, I don't know, what do you think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jonish: Take a look at this.

You don't need to apply any filters, infact I hate applying filters as I think it's the lazy way of doing things You just need to increase your contrast, easiest way to achieve this is to start off with more contrasting colours. Deeper darks, & lighter tones. But like I was told, don't apply white until the very end, if at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jonish, that paper is awesome, you're going to improve very quickly. from what i can tell it's because you seem like one of those people with the curiosity to sit and REALLY look at something and try their hardest to get every bit of visual information translated correctly.

and latimer, don't take this the wrong way, i'm not trying to just dismiss your advice because i know professionals use that contrast trick when doing major projects sometimes, but it's best to practice without doing that. getting into the habbit of chosing the right colors the first time is important.

that having been said, use darker values here and there jonish, i'm sure the shadow had to have been darker in some areas where almost no light was getting through to the background.

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jonish, that's awesome, awesome detail, awesome all around, but for shadows underneath the paper, go with some almost, but not totally black. Like 95% black or something, because the white is obviously opposite to black, so white paper needs something fairly close to black.

Here's an orange and a banana, I also did this to help my speed painting technique so I timed mehself to 30 minutes on this puppy, I think I did okay, I don't really like my orange, not as good as the one posted earlier.

Keep up the good work, great improvements all around from what I see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    grenapples: I should specify, I did use the colours on his nutshell, not the contrasting feature. That's my bad, i didn't exactly say it the clearest way, though I did think i got that accross when I said "easiest way to achieve this is to start off with more contrasting colours." D:

Last edited by latimer; January 6th, 2008 at 04:02 AM. Reason: typo's :X

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    latimer, grenappels, magnel,
    thank you a lot for your advices, I'll... maybe try something with normal pencil to train those shadow values.

and magnel, I admire people who can make paintings with such a rough look, I'm probably too perfectionist :-) However, shouldn't the sticker be darker?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by latimer View Post
    grenapples: I should specify, I did use the colours on his nutshell, not the contrasting feature. That's my bad, i didn't exactly say it the clearest way, though I did think i got that accross when I said "easiest way to achieve this is to start off with more contrasting colours." D:
    doh sorry

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea it is a more darker color, it's brown and green from the banana I had here, but I just totally forgot when I started on the orange and when my timer stops at 30 minutes I had to stop so yea.

Thanks Jonish, I paint like that with acrylics too, it's really fun because you can get some great movement and even rhythem with long thick, quick rough brushstrokes. When it comes to oils I'm totally opposite, I do become a perfectionist, getting every detail my brush can handle.

Overall, I'm seeing a lot of good advice getting bounced around here, awesome work guys, and from what I've seen, a lot of the new members (me being included) have really developed an eye for noticing even the smallest problem, and the fact you all are appreciating these critiques is brilliant, keep up the good work dudes and dudettes.

--magnel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a corkscrew-bottle opener-fingernail filer-thinger majiger.

Not a very good corkscrew, so yea, I'm out of fruit, I ate my orange and banana before I made this.

Enjoy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

happy face

hey, here comes a still life. this little happy man here is a deco I have besides my monitor. He's round and yellow, and has matte plastic surface all over him, which captures lots of nice colors. tell me what you think of it: (here's the entire process).

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GriNGoLoCo, I have the same thing on my antenna of my monte carlo, woo Wal-Mart.

Only thing I can really say is that you get kind of fuzzy, that's about it, rest is really awesome, maybe some more glints to show off that plasticy (just made that word up) feel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GriNGoLoCo, I would add also that.. sorry if I'm wrong but it looks like you used sharpen filter, which caused weird pixels around eyes and at right edge, which look quite unreal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cateaic, what kind I say, I want to reach over, grab that apple and take a nice big bite out of it, awesome apple, beautiful, def. a good example for all of us alike.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Indeed, beautiful, mainly I like the casted shadow and colours, really unbelievably realistic apple! However,was the apple really so elliptic?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol...something got messed up with the settings...it looked fine on my screen last night but Im on a another computer and its different. Weird...Ill post it again soon =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the opinions guys! i'll do better on the next one i try... magnel, it's funny that you have the same thing! we're almost like 4000 miles away from each other.. small world! Now about sharpen, yes, i used the sharpen tool a bit in the edges... not the filter... but i thought it was rather subtle... maybe i overdid it.

Here's another one for today crits welcome of course (no process shots).. it's a creative speaker that's almost in the same position as my smiley head:

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gringoloco: Wow, that's great, I don't understand how can you make such a accurate shapes! In fact, that's the reason I left idea of painting such a things like speakers, computer, cups... etc.

I'm looking forward for more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonish View Post
    gringoloco: Wow, that's great, I don't understand how can you make such a accurate shapes! In fact, that's the reason I left idea of painting such a things like speakers, computer, cups... etc.

I'm looking forward for more!
    Jonish, It's all about form. As mentioned before, maybe do some contour sketches where you're just focusing on the outside edges of things, and not shading, lots and lots and lots and lots of sketches never hurt. I do hundreds of drawings a day, just to get my hand eye coordination down pat and to blow time in Keyboarding and French class.

Grin, I have very similar speakers by creative, it really is a small world, except here in America those smiley head things are everywhere.

In the 90's here in Kentucky, having one of those Smiley head's was like having a butthole--everyones got one. (Sorry for vulgarity but we know it's true.

I have something knew, I really like posting on this thread, I like seeing these new ideas and watching other artist grow along side me and others.

Here's something I started on at 5:30

Sorry if it's too big, the strings are wobbley, but it's still one of my rough paintings.

_-Magnel

Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 321