Digital Painting In PS #2 - Page 4
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Painting In PS #2

noxartemus is offline I eat colors for lunch. o_o Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :/ Bumskee, you forgotten to comment my pear. Or is it because it was so ugly, it burned out your retinas? Hehe.

Here is an apple

Attached Images Attached Images      
    My Homely Sketchbook

Looking for a mentor in Anatomy or Painting.

"The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with." -Marty Fieldman
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm tried some Banana's as well. Still seem to be missing the values, but I think its possibly better than the apple?

Name:  nannas.jpg
Views: 8454
Size:  86.1 KB

I really like the final of that apple Nox. The shine is done well! I think maybe sort the shadow out a bit more and it would look awesome.

"I'm a damsel, I'm in distress, I can handle this! Have a nice day."

...Some sort of sketchbook...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    noxartemus.. friggin nice apple dude.. nah I didn't comment coz I went up to the top of the page.. maybe urs was on the page before.. heheh. was suppose to.. but didn't get around to.. will crit soon.. eee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

halloween apple

damn i need to sleep! took about 45 minutes in doing this one... i tried to make it look more interesting with a more detailed background. the midtone colors on the apple where killing my eyes! good practice though... happy halloween everybody!

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok heres a second try. a lot better than my first attempt, but still lacking. getting better though! comments please!

Last edited by private_walter; October 31st, 2007 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know how some of you guys do it!

Finally managed to dig up an apple.If that's what you could call it anyway...maybe I'm working too small?? Actual size shown...~

Try always to [ i m p r o v e. ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm there's something weird with my blending.
    i guess it just takes time and experience...
    anyway.. any suggestions bout blending?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pAinto View Post
    hmm there's something weird with my blending.
    i guess it just takes time and experience...
    anyway.. any suggestions bout blending?
    yeah. go back to the first digital painting in photoshop.

it digresses if you read into the later posts, but the first few pages have some stuff on blending

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work everyone!
    gave it a try....

Luis Felipe Ocampo

Portfolio
    Sketchbook | Sketchblog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah! Nice stuff so far. I love to see how digital painting beginners improve with every image. Go on!

Noxartemus, your apple looks really delicious, like Daray said. I like the texture and the vivid (right word?) colour very well.

private_walter: First of all, you should scale down your images before posting them - they are jumping out of my screen pld:
    In addition your apple looks a bit flat. Maybe you should work out the sphere-shape with more shading and lightening. In Idot Apathys "The Peer Project" you can start doing some exercises to get a better feeling of colours, light and all this stuff. It is a nice thread not only for beginners, I think.

Sangmort: I'm a beginner, too, but you definitively work too small. At the moment you have no chance to add details to your image, because you cannot zoom in. I tried to work on 1000x1000 pixel with 50% zoom and it worked very well. This way you can paint your stuff and add details by zooming in up to 100%. You can scale down your image afterwards if you want to present it or whatelse

Okay - noooow I proudly present my first digital red pepper
    Crits are very welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, everyone!
    I am new to these forums, but already found so much interesting and useful things about digital painting. Thank you for the inspiration.
    And here is my apple

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Could someone please crit my 2 from page 3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the apple that was once sitting on top of my monitor. All these fruit made me hungry, so I ate my reference once I finished. Something about this seems off though, perhaps too soft of edges or values.

Last edited by Tentitive; November 4th, 2007 at 06:49 PM.
    My Sketchies Critique Welcomed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Heyyyy.....here my mineral bottle!!!

(agree, gringoloco!!! hahahaa)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sampsonx View Post
    This is like my first go at anything digital arty. Crits please
    Heya SampsonX.. it's a nice try for a first digital try, but I think you should've worked harder on it. Right now, it looks like a big red generic apple. The colors should be more varied (even the reds!), and dare I say darker and cooler if it's in the shadow (if the light source is warm of course). The shadow looks too grayish, and distorted. If you took the time to make the shape of apple right, then why not make it's shadow look equally as well either? It's even easier to render then the fruit itself. I see that you went with hard brushes to color it, which is fine, but you should invest more time in trying to make the subtle color blending right. You should try making the brush "softer" (with less harder edges), and use a lower opacity setting to blend the colors better.

Hope I didn't sound that harsh... I just want to help you with my insights man! Keep on posting your exercises!

Tigerazzo - buena botella!!

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

midnight apple

For a lack of a white background and close lighting, I decided to study this fruit in the dark!. I used the same process that bumskee talked about in his first post (layer build uo). the last image is simply a levels tweak up! Any comments or suggestions, are welcome! good night folks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everybody. Great work. I got so inspired that I decided to give it a shot myself. Here is my attempt at painting a half pepper fruit. I stopped after 30 minutes.

Last edited by Giddy; November 6th, 2007 at 02:15 PM.
    /Giddy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that pepper is kicking ass! giddy.. love the detail that went into it.. here's my night attempt at a red pepper too.. pretty damn hard! I barely could see any colors in there.. who can see the differences between the last two?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    sampsonx, nice try for your first.. those first step into new things always so scary and hectic.. take your time be patient with yourself.. There's plenty of reading to do such as loomis.. idiot apathy's thread.. bunch of stuff in fine arts and discovery section here on ca... just in general, take your time in observing things.. make sure things are correct..

kode, nice apple.. very plasticish.. but getting there.. I think it's just matter of figuring out the values and so on.. maybe too "what you think they should be" sort of thing..

sampsonx.. much better.. tho I thought it was a mango!

Onir, yeah dude.. painter has that blending kinda built into the brushes.. I just never got my head around the UI.. but the process should be very similar.. I mean there's not much difference between two except for the brush engines.. I should get someone to do this in OC and artrage too.. just to show it's not so much about the tools.. well not so much in a way.. NICE BANANA btw.. you've nailed it good dude..

noxart, yeah.. again.. nice one.. shiny and very nice colours.. keep going with it!

Daray, it's a good effort. a little too blended in many ways? try and be a little bit more bold and step away from blending if you know it's not there.. keep it going dude..

Grin, nice.. it seems to be a very tough lighting.. a little unsure about the bust of lighting from the front.. looks very washed out.. but you've got some nice details and areas around..

Private, are you using a mouse?? just curious.. while the textures and stuff is seemingly right.. the whole thing fails to show as a round form.. it's probably coz the values don't shift as it shuold in a sphere kinda form..

sangmort.. I think you did great with the brush and rendering technique.. I love that stuff.. hehe.. but I think this is very washed out in terms of colours .. make sure you get those colours right! coz then it won't have that apple look.. nice work either way, hope you keep doing it!

mauser..the overall form is nice.. but the colours too "add white" and "add black".. it's often not the case.. well most of the time.. well it rarely is.. try and see the shift in colours as well..

miracula, nice work, maybe a little too plasticish.. pepper would have a shiny texture. meaning you gotta let those highlights pop..so take care in observing those highlights and how the lights bounce back.. overall nice form maybe a little dull so kick those colours right in..

eterius, i thought it was a plum! it's got that white surface... but still very nice..

tentitive, good effort, maybe a little dull... try and get those block ins right.. so you observe a little more and put down the right colours..

tigerazzo, heh, those things are soo hard to paint/draw.. nice take on it.. I think you did really well and spent some quality time on it too.. keep it going dude..

Grin.. love working on black back grounds myself.. makes everything so colourful I think.. but don't let that be a crutch.. otherwise it's a great one!

Giddy, sweet for 30 minutes.. well even if it wasn't it's a very nice painting maybe just get those highlights in.. bump some contrast by adding in some darker colours.. but yeah.. sweet

grin.. hehe.. good to see you keeping at it.. Again.. don't let the blacks be your thing.. it's a hard one to break away from.. and this one is a little too dark.. but also the fact that I can't see much from it... try and light the object.. so you get a good range of "light to dark" to work with.. mighty effort nonethelss and also for trying out different lightings.. keep it going dude..

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bumskee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks bumskee.

Here, my apple!!!

Last edited by RichardPajuelo; November 8th, 2007 at 12:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I almost always use Painter now. It would be good to get back to my "roots" and do some pshop work. The problem is that my desk is so clumped together that it's very hard to set up a still life. I'll try it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great draws, i love paintings in Photoshop and Painter...
    Well, this is my first post with some image.
    As usual from this thread i give my simple apple... hehehe
    Looks like good taste?

Last edited by Pookamensch; August 1st, 2008 at 12:22 AM.
    "Hey, are you experienced?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moito buon, Pooka..!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I'm using a mouse. sucks. what type of Wacom tablets are good and cheap? Yeah i know i am working on trying to get things rounder.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you tigerazzo. I'm trying, ever... hehehe

Well, a good Wacom is anyone.

"Hey, are you experienced?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought I would try out painting my speaker.

About 45 mins.

sketch

blocking in colors

made some changes, refinement

refinement

finishing touches

It was fun!

noxartemus is offline I eat colors for lunch. o_o Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Bumskee, Daray, and Miracula. I'll keep practicing at it! I know what you mean about shadow though, it looks a little odd.

Eh, sorry if it's been a while. A combination of ripped stitches from my operation + a trip I'm getting ready for prevented me from doing much.

I did a speedpaint of an apple, can't bring it to justice because I have to pack now, but I really wanted to post something before I leave for two weeks. I need critique on my speedpaints anyways, they stink. X) This was done in ten minutes, 50-80 opacity, custom hard edged brush.

Tigerazzo: I like your apple, the colors are really well chosen. It caught my eye while I was looking around because of it's crispness.

Pooka: Good start to an apple, really bold choice of colors. I suggest try using a harder brush for the edges. Light is the crispest lines, and dark is a little softer. ;D

Frank: Wow. Very clean final product, I like it quite a bit >_>

My Homely Sketchbook

Looking for a mentor in Anatomy or Painting.

"The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with." -Marty Fieldman

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice step by steps bumskee =). This was good practice, I think I'll find a little more interesting shap for my next one.

Name:  nov_14_1.jpg
Views: 7581
Size:  18.4 KB

chris steingart

ca sketchbook 2
    blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a Concept Art newbie and I've been a bit afraid to post before this. The amount of talent here is mind blowing. Anyway, here's my attempt at an apple. I started out using a soft brush and I'm going to have to do this over somtime using a hard brush, as scary as that is, cause I think that might have worked better...

Crits and suggestions are great!

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 320