Page 29 of 102 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 79 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Lingmerth that makes sense. Now that you mention that I can see the lighting does match what you are describing, or the lighting on the bottom edge of the casing would have been different. I think I would have been tempted in that case to take some artistic liscense and lighten the opening a tad anyways. The contract between the dark opening and the bright metal makes it a little distracting even if it's exactly correct.

I remember back in art school one of my instructors would always pitch a minor fit if we told him "that's what my reference does." He'd say we're not slaves to reference or even reality, we do what works for the image, and sometimes that means fudging things a little. Then again that's far more important in a final image and not a study, so I think what you have there is very good.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    First of all I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, for beginners like me it really really helps. I don't think I'd have even known where to start without this kind of info.

I had a go at this exercise today, actually ive had several attempts at blocking in and blending recently with pretty terrible results... this is my best attempt so far. Its pretty tough to pick colours, I had no idea it was so hard until it came to doing it. I ended up looking at the reference picture with the colour picker for a while before trying to paint because my mind was playing tricks on me. But I made sure to manually choose colours when starting the painting because I won't learn if I always rely on the colour picker.

The shadows also makes it harder for me to see what the right colour is, I have read the posts about value, hue and saturation which really helped me understand things. But still its tough when starting out from scratch, I guess the only way to improve is practice.

I think I spent 3 or 4 hours on this, so painfully slow and I got a little impatient in parts. Such as the shadows and when I cleaned up the edges I didn't do a very good job either <_< I also pretended that the leaf had been pulled off because that was going to be a whole saga on its own at my rate of progress ;P

On a side note someone posted a link to Carlos Cabrera's tutorial videos in another thread recently which I saw, and it really helped me understand the kind of workflow artists use in photoshop for painting. He uses a lot of little tricks with layers and adjustments and things which are tough for a beginner to understand, but overall being able to see how a pro goes about things is very very helpful. Here's the link http://www.carloscabrera.com.ar/tutorials/

It would be awesome if someone here could do a similar video tutorial, you can get free screen capture software here http://camstudio.org/ . Some of the paintings by the more experienced here really seem to jump out at you, I'd really love to see the full work process that people are using to get those kind of results. If anyone has the time I think it'd make a great contribution to this already outstanding thread.

Thanks
    Dweller, I've got a question for you if you have the time to answer it.

I'm currently at the stage where I'm trying to colourize in the textures, but when I do this all I end up doing is making the apple look like it has an uneven surface, and looks ridgy. How can I make a completely or mostly round apple (For experimental purposes) with differing texture patches actually look round without making it look ridgy or have an uneven surface?

My last apple in perspective is what I'm talking about.

Thanks

Edit:

Here is an example of what I mean, the differing colours make it look ridgy, instead of having differing colours of textures. How do I make it look like the latter?
    Last edited by Maledict; February 26th, 2008 at 07:53 AM.

Thanks
    Not to happy about this apple! The core shadow way to dark. Ill paint some more/
    Last edited by seth1; June 9th, 2008 at 01:34 AM.

Thanks
    Hello all,

I'm new here. I've been lurking for a coupla years and I found this thread the other day while I was looking for help with my PS painting skills. This seems to be the right place, lots of great work and talent on here. My still life study is of a little blue ceramic plate I have on my desk. It's actually smaller than the image I painted. I would greatly appreciate critiques. One thing I'm aware of is that I smushed the shadow to fit my frame.

Digital Painting In PS #2

Thanks
    I don't see anywhere to edit a previous post so I hope I'm not violating a double post rule.

Here is an orange I did. Modeling oranges is hard! I wasn't digging this until it was almost finished. Texturing it was a bear.

Digital Painting In PS #2

Thanks
    I think I'm slowly improving with each still-life I do, but I think it will be a while before I start getting realistic results. I'll have to read around the forums a bit more and get a better grasp of what I'm doing.

Any advice/tips appreciated.

Thanks
    Hang on, I think I just made a breakthrough. I went back and looked at the first few pages of this thread and realised I haven't been looking at the colour variations closely enough.

I did another apple just now, making sure to block all the little differences in colour I could see, instead of 5 big blocks of where the shadows and shit were. Took me about 40 minutes, compared to the last one I just posted which took like an hour and a half.

I didn't have time to refine it too much, because it's getting pretty late, but I think it already looks a lot better than my other ones.

Thanks
    some_guy,

The modeling on that last apple looks really good. You've got a nice painterly feel with that one.

Thanks
    Orange! not very happy with it! I wish I knew how to use painter! When I learn to create brushes things like texturing will be much easier
    Last edited by seth1; June 9th, 2008 at 01:33 AM.

Thanks
    Seth1,

Your orange appears to be missing reflected light or at least rim light.

The two that I did were done using only bumskee's three brushes. In fact, I've tossed out all of the brushes that I'd been using and now I'm going spartan with the bumskee three. Sometimes limitations are a great liberator.

Thanks
    Sharkcellar: Look closer it has those. I am using painter not photoshop! So in this case there is no bumskee brushes even if there where I would not use them. I know how to make my own brushes/ Texture, form, light, edges all play a factor in painting but when you don't know how to use the tools some times it's not always easy to put these into play. Brushes in painter work different. This is no excuse though, I just need to paint more. I know this is "digital painting In ps", but it's still painting on a digital canvas so why not post here, right? In painter I used one simple round brush! painted the texture by hand. Theres not much reflected light because of the way I had my light source set up! and the material it was sitting on did not reflect as much as say wood, or plastic. I had the key light coming from almost straight on, but offset to the left a bit. The fill light was behind the orange. With this I had a bit more form to play with but there is not much value range to play, this becomes hard to define the planes with the values not being as separated. In the shadow there is bounce light but hardly noticeable. I should of pushed the bounce light a little more. I wanted the orange to get lost in the back and the main focus on the front of the orange, so your eye is almost lead in a zig zag. With the rim light I don't think it was necessary in a situation like this. Ie there is no loss of edges due to value being separated. If the values, and hue where in the same range I might of used one, but this all depends on what you are looking for.

Thanks
    Hey sorry man. I was just trying to give some constructive criticism.
    sketchbook
    blog

support your local library!

Thanks
    Sharkcellar: Sorry if i came off as rude. I didn't mean it. I whole heartly thank you. It helped me look at the orange more, and focus. You helped me out man. I am sorry again. keeep painting.. I want to see some more

Thanks
    well well well! it's been AGES since I tried the apple challenge... and I've gotta say, I've come a LONG LONG LONG way.

I dredged up my original "horned apple" and the apple I did tonight (it still takes me longer than I wish that it would though )

also posting the steps for the one I did tonight; I pretty much step by step followed min's walkthrough on page 1. As an added challenge I only used hard edged square brushes until the final step!
    Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

Page 29 of 102 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 79 ... LastLast