Digital Painting In PS #2 - Page 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    still in progress, so far I have only blocked in and begun blending with 100% opac, pressure sensitive round hard brush. Will edit this later on with the steps when I'm not so tired.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Chance.; October 6th, 2007 at 06:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was a lot harder that it looks. Stop making it look so easy!

I dunno what I did wrong, but it was defanitly something XD

EDIT: Also, how do you make it pressure sensitive ?( press harder, the colour is higher opacity etc )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

rawr

Been very off and on with photoshop and my tablet. I've not practiced much, and the times I have it hasnt been as easy as traditional media is for me >.<

but its time to start trying to achieve a little more with PS, and what better way is there to do that than post in a bumskee PS tut thread

Sketch: just roughing out the shapes with a size 5 hard round, flow to pressure

Digital Painting In PS #2

Blocking in: looking for the colors and filling them in, 100% opacity, 10% flow, flow on pressure

Rendering: Trying to keep the gritty gradient on the top of the mouse from being too smooth, added some details and wood grain (damn do I suck at wood, lol)

Details: Reddened up the wood which was too yellow by going over it with a low opacity brush, added more saturated red on the top of the mouse, sharpened some edges and quickly threw on the logos

took about 30ish minutes to put together, and felt awkward the whole time painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NEW digi painting in PS thread! happy glory day!

I'll post some stuff in here after I finish my hw.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks to mr bumskee for making this thread.
    i recently got a new wacom/monitor and im trying to learn how to actually paint with it.

funny thing on the side:
    i never buy vegetables (i mostly live on pasta), but it bought onions and an apple for this thread.
    WOW!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fraz I included the options for pressure sensitive in my image cause I'm horrible at using words to explain stuff...

Did more digi painting, was looking at my blanky.
    Kinda noticed it was more gray than brown after a while..
    Didn't like my first one, so I started over.
    Then remembered about saving my steps too late. 3rd one is supposed to come before the 2nd.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi bumskee, luv the thread u got set up here,

i'm pretty new at the whole digital paintage, always looking for tips and hints. please feel free to crit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok... this is my 4th attempt at Digiart using my graphics tab.

As you can see, I am really struggling with what you arty types call 'blending'

Help?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first of all, interesting topic bumskee!
    but so far i think you should post some -new- shape !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all,

I've really benefitted from this thread, so thanks for all of your contributions! And of course, thanks so much Bumskee for creating/managing this thread. I just got a graphics tablet recently and have been struggling to become comfortable with it. I guess I have the benefit of having lots of photoshop experience, but I've never used it as a painting tool until now...

Anyhow, here's my apple...
    Name:  Apple1.jpg
Views: 16431
Size:  63.8 KB
    took about an hour to do, and sadly I got too frustrated to really finish it and add the details and colors it deserves...

However, I think by the end of my attempt I started getting the blending thing down! I used a huge brush, lowered my flow and opacity settings down to about 10-20&#37;, used softest brush possible, and applied little to no pressure. Kind of like painting very thin oil layers I guess (at least thats what it reminded me of). Making a custom brush also really helped- made me feel like I was actually painting, which I guess is the goal. Definitely going to experiment more with those.

Quick question: I was wondering if most of you sketch with a tablet or sketch with a pencil and then scan it in... I have lost a lot of patience trying to sketch with my tablet and am wondering if maybe this is simply a skill which comes with time?

Last edited by ender62; October 9th, 2007 at 01:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mine was an attempt with my newly aquired tablet (thanks to my fiance buying it for me, he really spoils me). But blending still eludes me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Riala, you may want to go back and read/look through the stuff in the first version of this thread found here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47859

As far as blending goes, though I am also a novice at digital painting, in my experience I blend by using different colors at varying opacities. From your example it sort of looks like you just used two colors and then tried the smear them together a bit. I've found that it's much easier to achieve the desired look if you "blend" by overlaying colors. Another thing I noticed is that I think you're looking at the whole apple and determining what you THINK the colors are, just look at each little section of the apple as it actually is, not what you think it is. Hope this helps some.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Min, great thread! Some lovely onions there - quick question ...

With your setup for painting - what do you normally do for colour - some people go into the colour picker - some setup swatches, and some use the awkward little "colour" tab thingy to pick and choose - just wondering your preferred method?

hope to join in one of these....i'm feeling for pears...but you never know when a satsuma might creep in!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot evil bunny. I wil try that out when I get home tonight

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Stout, I will keep practicing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Painted my onion! made up the one in the background and did Mins cool out of focus trick on it,hehe.

Last edited by D@niel; October 11th, 2007 at 09:03 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to D@niel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Riala View Post
    Thank you Stout, I will keep practicing
    You should start any painting by defining the largest areas first, then working on the details. The first step you posted was putting thin red lines running from top o bottom on the line art.

You should really have started by filling the entire shape with the red colour, then put yellow details on toip of it. Once that is done, you can then start to blend. When using the brush tool, hold shift to turn the cursor into a colour picker. set the opacity to 50% and paint one colour on top of the other. this will blend the two colours together.

ART BLOG

"Admitting that free man may err, in no way invalidates the importance of his ability to decide for himself."
    Robert LeFevre

"laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Cesare Beccaria

Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    manaburn, nice to see you tackle other stuff, patience and you are definitely heading the right direction.

Evil, spoon is really hard.. nice take on it dude.

chance, the sphere shape seems a little squashed in the middle otherwise, very nice.. I think u could use some darker colours at the bottom.. apple(?) is heading in the right direction!

fraz, I think the apple wasn't drawn right from start, it's very warped shaped, you need to observe more and watch out for the value/colour shift. and the colours don't seem right at all. take ur time and don't rush into calling it done! pressure sensitive? it's in other dynamics.

pizz, nice take on the mouse, I think the colours looking alright, but maybe the wood grain is too bright? for doing details, like the last step just zoom right in and start defining the edges and details.

andreas, nice onion! just curious it's very monochromatic tho.. and I think u could have easily spent another 10~20 minutes in defining too. zoom right in to get tho little edges happening. Also the overall shpere form is a little flat too.

fraz, keep going dude..

wilko, nice apple, the top part is very convincing, it only lacks in overall form! ur brush techniques also getting there, u just need some more practice under ur belt. check out tom's link on the first post.. should help u out heaps with colours and other essential stuff.

Riala, blending isn't all that important... firstly, your sketch.. did u feel that the sketch was accurate??? to me it seems slightly slanted.. well if u feel that it's not right at any point, u have to fix it.. u will have to eventually might as well from start.. to me ur last step is more of a blocking stage.. and that's where u left it..... my first suggestion is to leave out soft edge, u are using it's feathered edges to blend.. that's not quite the point of this thread, try and analyse the colours.. the apple is very flat, becase the values don't actually shift anywhere on the apple meaning u aren't taking time to observe ur apple. please, it's important that u take ur time and be patient about this. The thing is, once u start getting one bits right it will come together more easily. Again avoid soft edge and take ur time.

near, u should jump right in! and for the shapes.. well.. round objects are really common and it's not all that important what we paint I guess so long as it's in a simple form and readily available. By no means this thread should be advanced but easy for those starting off.

ender, I thinku missed the shadow on the top of the apple.. and also maybe a little flat on the front. I sketch with my tablet.. it's whatever is easy for u..

TOM! yeah dude, feel free to jump in.. and I just click the colour window and pick it manually.. I do it on blocking stage and then use ALT from then on mostly.. but I hate the little colour bar and don't use swatches either.

Daniel!, nice onion.. U did very nicely except the last one.. hahaha. despite it being a cool trick I think it doesn't work in this case since it doesn't seem very convincing.. I actually think it worked better just before the last step. Also the shadow might need to be a little bolder, but otherwise very nice details and colours!.. keep going dude!

Pheeeeewww!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoo, awesome. This place is great- sharing painting techniques and learning from each other's talents and mistakes is a great idea bumskee.

Here's my god awful antique gold pear.

(I meant background was in the background, sorry my English stinks. ._.)

Last edited by noxartemus; October 10th, 2007 at 10:41 AM.
    My Homely Sketchbook

Looking for a mentor in Anatomy or Painting.

"The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with." -Marty Fieldman

22. The Following User Says Thank You to noxartemus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Holy cow, that was hard! I haven't done an exercise like that in thirty years. And I'm only just beginning to paint with Photoshop (I've Photoshopped with Photoshop since it came out...why did it never occur to me to paint with it?).

I picked a bad angle. Looking down from above, you don't get that "apple" shape; it's too round. So that made me work harder from the start. Plus, red with little green streakies? What was I thinking? Okay, I was thinking about the kind of apple I'd like to eat after I finish painting it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Min, you have so much impact on this online community. Your work is respected and appreciated. Thanks for always sharing with us your techniques. I especially enjoy your step by step examples both here and in your sb. CA.org needs 20 bumskees, but like highlander, there can only be one.

Thanks Min.

The Day-glo Pterodactyls
    Dierat ~ Leo Ki ~ Volchiha ~ Zweit ~ wilkerson

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

pumpkin still life

Here's a pumpkin I painted last night, I'll upload the process when I get back from class. Digital Painting In PS #2

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Kosher Commander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

I followed the original thread and I thought I'd finally have a go!

I didn't have space to save all the steps, but here is the finished result.

I would love some critique please!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BeckyHew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    decided i would give this a go while i am in between jobs at work, so i did it rather quickly. (def gonna do some other ones once i get off to practice more)
    this is my first attempt at digital painting and im using a mouse. (will be getting a wacom soon yay)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up details scary

Bumskee your really good! especially the detail, they make them look like pictures. one thing though, you always skip really quickly through the details. i am a little intimidated by how you go from a roughly painted image to a highly detailed pic.

just would like if maybe you could include more steps between blend and detail.

oh and this image i did does not really follow the stuff your doing i will try to make some that follows the category, but still would like some feedback. sorry no steps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's mine.

I SWEAR the colors kept changing BEFORE MY EYES O_O

C&C plz!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok here's my cut at an apple. not all that good. looks really flat not much detail.
    using a mouse (dang!) what's a good tablet to get? I was looking at wacom and there are a lot. what ones does everybody else have? (oh and i am looking in the price range of cheap)

Last edited by private_walter; October 14th, 2007 at 06:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...And here are the steps (terribly done)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guys, i'm very interested in trying out digital painting, but should i first try it using a mouse? coz i really have a hard time controlling the brush, or do i have to invest in a tablet??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you dont HAVE to
    but by god it makes it sooooo much easier. its highly recommended

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 211