Page 2 of 118 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Painting In PS #2

Thanks
    I got photoshop a couple of months back, never actualy painted any thing from life digitaly, thaught i would have a go at the old apple.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D@niel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's my apple. I didn't have a real one to hand (I ate the last one before seeing this thread ) so I used a photo for reference. It had a lot more white and grey on it than I'd expected, which was hard to paint. Might've gone overboard.

Digital Painting In PS #2

Thanks

Talking

i'm new, and i've been following the apple thread for quite a while. really nice apples!
    this is my first try (so sorry forgot to save the steps!)
    trying to get the blending right.
    i just got my wacom *hugs wacom* but i need a new computer at home. @.@
    right now the only practise i get is in my internship. (i need to make time because i'm supposed to be doing motion graphics.)
    i wanna improve!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shamandalie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    so i really need to learn photoshop so i got and apple and gave it a try. my eyes had alot of trouble at first moveing from bright lcd to the apple. they have now and now i see alot of varition and detail im missing so im probley go go back at it. but heres me apple so far. i think this is the longest ive spent on a single thing in photoshop and thats good. been about and hour and a half so far.
    never updated sketchbook

hopefully weekly updated blog

8. The Following User Says Thank You to joelhinxman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Apple

Well, decided to give the apple a try...
    Not too happy with it. Forgot to save the steps too.

It's from photo, but I'll be moving on to stuff from life, drawing a spoon atm...
    Having some probs with image uploading...It'll only show up if I take a screenshot and take it from paint. O well.

Thanks
    I found this thread to be very informative and inspiring. I hadn't been adjusting my opacity as much as I should have and my forms were muddy. This really helped unlock my thought process, so thank you. Here's my effort from last night.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ManaBurn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    D@niel, good start, nice to see the fact that u are trying to block things out, it's the best approach I think. Try and use less of the soft edge tool, tends to give that smudged out uneven plastic feel. the colours a little too muted out especially at the top, it wouldn't be just add "white" but more so shift of hue and values.. but heading in the right direction!

Ampersand, looking good, photo only if u can't find the real thing, but doesn't have to be an apple.. ur phone? mouse? anything really.. And there's too much white, washed out look with the apple.

shamandalie, congrats on the new wacom! ok.. the apple.. well I think it needs a little bit more careful strokes.. more time in another word. for example, the shadow is almost completely random.. also use less soft edge, while it has its uses, you are using it to blend strokes, you should try and see the colours as they are.. keep going dude

joel, nice! maybe a little too dark on the bottom but that could actually be true so.. try to work in a lighter value tho. abusing black and white can be worst in terms of rendering unless it was stylised of course..

evil bunny, great! maybe just a tad bit of contrast, I think it was in loomis books, he said something about exaggerating the dark and light.. well something along those lines. look forward to the one from life!

manaburn, heh wicked stuff. The apple is a little weak on the form, maybe the shadows needs to be a little more certain and darker? keep it going dude.

going to try and give crit as much as I can..
    here's my effort from tonight.. I scammed it a little with blur tool at the end, kinda gives a sense of depth like the photographs do.. neat trick so long as u don't abuse it! if u abuse anything it's bad.. so don't!

Sketch, I had two onions.. errm.. as I said it doesn't have to be an apple!

blocking in the colours.. onions are harder than apples I reckon.. it's more delicate? so u have to spend longer and observe harder! Was really trying hard to get the colours right.. it's a little hard coz ur mind plays tricks.

blocking in.. and also blending.. adjusting colours and working towards the final shape.. the process is quite simple.. just look harder if u are not sure.. If it doesn't look right fix it! it's this vicious cycle that u keep pushing urself I think.. if u ever say "that will do" without even really giving ur best shot everytime.. this will get the better of you..

added details and yeah.. a little flat and the colours aren't as vibrant as I hoped.. especially in the bottom region..

keep them little still lifes coming!

13. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to bumskee For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    wow that onion looks awsome. my apple was pritty dark but now that im hear at work looking at it on a new computer its really really dark. ill have to figure out what the differance is.
    never updated sketchbook

Thanks
    i'm new to digital painting in ps.. i've been reading a lot of tutorial threads. I read about "the blender tool," but i still don't have a clear idea of what it is.. is it an addon? or a technique using a low opacity brush? can someone explain it to me?

much appreciated!

Thanks
    oh i fergot to ask. when blending what hardness do you use. i started trying to blend with a hard brush and didnt like it much. i just kept going back and forth from full hard to full soft. also in blocking do ya use a full hard brush or do ha soften it a little. or is it just all what works best for the person.
    never updated sketchbook

Thanks
    The soft brushes, as stated earlier, tend to give the painting a very smudged appearance. I suspect that bumskee is using only a hard brush for all of his demo's.

The trick to blending with a hard brush is to be patient. Start blending with high opacity, then work your way down to lower and lower opacities (depending on how much blending you need) You really don't need to use the soft edge brushes at all.

Blending is something that you want to do as little of as you can get away with. The more you blend the flatter your image looks, as Bumskee as already mentioned. Notice how his first block in, even with the large areas of flat color, and no blending at all, still seems to have a sparkle of reality. Limited blending will give your work more vibrancy as your colors stay closer to your original choices. The more you blend, the muddier they get.

Hope this is helpful and that what I am saying is accurate. Shoot me down if I am wrong, Bumskee.

Oh,and Bumskee, by the way, did you achieve your amazing imaginative painting skills from practicing with life painting like this? I am getting better with my digital painting in my life and photo studies (when I can motivate myself to do them) but I hate my imaginative rendering skills (see chow 90) Part of this is from having severe color limitations, because I haven't studied it much yet, but I want to find a way to improve the stuff I do from my head. I suspect that it is an issue of working from life as much as possible and I my "inner eye" will naturally improve, but I'd like to here you tell me so that I know I'm not just guessing.

Thanks

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chance. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    joel, yeah it is dark, check ur monitor, may need calibration. Also for blending.. as chance stated most of it, stay away from soft edge, only and ONLY because you will want to smoothen everything. And I've actually done most with the oval shaped brush in the brush set posted in my first post but also have used soft edge, only to cover a large area. I will get into explaining a lot of the other varies techniques. In blocking, it's actually doesn't really matter what brush u use.. next few still life from me, I am planning on using 4 different brushes to show that brush doesn't really make much of a diff.

jinny, I am not sure what about this blender tool, and unfortunately NO it's all technical and manual. if there was a filter that blended..*sigh* that would be disatrous..hehe.

chance, I think u've got most of the bits right.. And while it is good to see things in blocks and work towards the detail as you've stated, the soft edge do come in handy from time to time.. I did use soft edge here and there but mostly to darken/lighten a large portion of the area. But definitely stick to hard edge coz we should all paint the little things infront of us and not just blindly blend away. You are right I think, u need to train the eye.. I mean I am not all that trained either so.. but I have probably a little more experience and some tricks up my sleeve to pull it off.. and unfortunately my studies so far has only included a small portion of still life paintings.. While it does help in many ways it's kinda very basic I guess.. Being able to observe and paint/draw is a must to carry on studies that will be required down the track..

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bumskee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I was having trouble with the shading on the apple. I think I needed to just go ahead and slap some dark shadow on there. I love that onion, I'm going to go out and buy some onions just to try that.. I went ahead and tried a bottle today after seeing that awesome painting you did of one. Here's the results.

Page 2 of 118 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 102 ... LastLast