Page 1 of 118 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Painting In PS #2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts

Digital Painting In PS #2

HI again!

I will cut the crap and boring stuff out, this thread is an update of the previous "beginners" digital painting thread. Number of things have changed since that thread first kicked off at least for me, and been meaning to update it so here we go..

The focus on this thread is first to familiarise people with digital painting in PS and also learn to observe since we are going to mainly focus on still life (simple things) and won't make you an awsome painter but BABY STEPS!
    Also again, I regard myself as an average painter and don't pretend to know everything or even much about painting. Just enough to help those just getting started. For this reason I've asked few people from the board, who's much better painter than I am to drop in and do a still life to share. As this method is how I approach it and is one of many methods as you will see from other demos.

From the last thread, I've noticed few things from varies people.

Careless paintings, let's face it, if you are not willing to put the time in, it's not going to work for you. Concentrate on getting it right.. invest the time, if you know something is wrong fix it!!!
    and keep getting it right and you will eventually become more efficient.

Guessing, another huge issue, lots of people seem to be unsure of colours and details on the object they are painting. The answer is right in front of you most people are too quick to jump at it and guessing too much. Well it is guessing but it's more educated guess?, again take time to observe and train ur eyes to see the colours and so on.

Brushes, let's keep it simple.. There is NOTHING wrong with using all the brushes in the world and everything PS has to offer. But we should focus learning the basics before proceeding to much more advanced and trade secrets I've uploaded most used brushes from my set here, a drawing, an oval and a soft edge. Feel free to use your own and default sets, so long as it's simple. www.minart.net/temp/basic.abr

Also please try and stick to simple objects that you can have in front of you. photos and all are good but nothing beats the real thing. If you are trying to get help for your personal painting you may have more luck at critique section.

Posting steps is optional! But it helps to see how u are approaching things.

Few general things about PS.

Canvas size, since bigger is better in digital medium and NO u should avoid blowing up ur image for the sake of printing! try and work zoomed out. open another window by going to Window > Arrange > New window, this will bring up another window so you can see the smaller size while u work on details on the other window. 600px 800px is a good size for online viewing.
    I tend to paint at 50% zoomed out. So I have some room to add details at 100% if required, but even this isn't all that big. Remember, to print an a4 you will need approx. 2500px 3500px canvas size.

Oh Tablet, if you don't have one, you should invest in one, preferrably wacom. If you paint with a mouse it can seriously have health issues, well from my experience at least. A tablet will give you so much more freedom and same you time! This is a no brainer!

BLENDING, now last thread did focus a bit on blending in PS, while this is important, I think it's more beneficial for us to see the blocks and planes. To figure out where soft blending happens and where it's a hard edge of two colours meeting up. If we sort of see this first the blending becomes a part of process and certainly give u a better result. having said that it's too much to discuss here I guess, and for the sake of this thread, try and not to be too attached to blending but rather observe and apply similar effect to your paintings. Remember NOT everything just blends together! it's a mix & match and it's just matter of figuring out where.

For recommended reading, ANDREW LOOMIS books, he has so much to offer!
    For colour stuff! Can't beat this! "The Peer Project V2" by Idiot Apathy, lots of resources and yes! spend the time to check it out!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76955

(will edit this first post to add more infos down the track!)
    Last edited by bumskee; September 28th, 2007 at 09:35 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 146 Users Say Thank You to bumskee For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Φ, 311002965, 4tonmantis, Aaron Death, AliceA, ancientdrake, Anid Maro, Antonella, Armonah, artista_solitario, ArtsySiridean, Artush, AshRockism, avmko, Bagg, Bahamuth, Benjaminba, biglu, Cristina Zabava, Blender914, BluezAce, CastorFiber, Charmer, Chevaleres, Choob, chris_kaw, cocoyn, comicbookfreak, crdf, Cwn Annwn, Danny_K, digismash, Diphallia, drd, Duckmeow, Duq, enrigo, Euphrosyne, Eviloft, f1guremeout, fabiano, Falling Up, FalyneVarger, Flipnastywebby, Freddy Scribbles, FutureIsStupid, Gundammit, Hayato-s, Heliux, HolsterDraw, hunchback, hzamoragrotesque, ilamesayz, Imaginary, ItsChoco, Jamie Romoser, Jason Ross, jeremygordon89, jinny, judyrd47, Keeviin, Kerah, Kuidf^!, Lake, Levian, Leysan, limaCAT, linhnv01836, lostSHADE, lovecastle, Lulie, lumar, luverly_marie, manlybrian, Marsch, MattGamer, mattj324, mawilson, Meaisín, Metrini, miahtoots, MiladThaha, MilanDM, MIsaacsArt, Miss_Elizabeth, monsi, Myrddin, NecroPhone, Niels23, Noë, nonsane, Ohaeri, pablozRamone, panic_attack, pekak, PerinGalitte, Peter Berkovski, Pezz, Pfefferminzia, Phylazian, PieMonster, Pierce9, Pinecallada, PixelFish, Pluscandy, raqmo, Rebelthunder, Rewi, Riala, Rosea, ryan mcshane, SamC, sanakris, ScathRaven, sevill_yank, shamandalie, SHAP00PI, Share, Shayn Li, sjuskadur, Skriblinmatt, Spirall, stinkypanda, Sumisoul, Sweron, tallken, ThomasM, timo., tommyt, ToXicGreen, Trefle, Turbosnail, TyJak, vardoburrito, Vritra, WallaceGrover, wbayderda, White Camel, WildGingerMan, willc, witcrack, XanaChama, Xeon_OND, Zaphid, zou, _Forrest

Thanks
    (short cuts and blending modes)
    just going to write this up.. :9

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bumskee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    from tonight, it's pretty straight forward.
    but for the first one..

Sketch, I had one sitting on my desk.. Not too concerned about details or anything but just the overall shape, proportion? placement of the shadows and stuff.

blocking in the colours, just as I see them. Larger brush size and 80~100 opacity. take time to observe and try and pick the colours right

Blending, now I've noticed if u blend too much you will end up muting up ur apple. and do all sort of things to bring it back from death! What I sort of do is just reduce the stroke sizes and just add more colours in between. Like previous step but in smaller blocks.

Blending continues, Should probably say rendering.. checking to see the colours are right, actually always check.. and where it blends and stuff.. I try to leave out really fine details, overall form is more important and can easily add details later.

Refining and adding details! simple huh?

will add more soon..
    Last edited by bumskee; September 28th, 2007 at 09:26 AM.

7. The Following 131 Users Say Thank You to bumskee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    more apples

Quote Originally Posted by nethus View Post
    Here's another apple. forgot to save sketch. Did this one quicker than the other one. around 1.5 hours I think. Could go much further with it but I'm out of time for now. Definitely need practice with the physical act of blending two tones/colours.. I should just do some simple blending exercises.

Again trying to get the tones and colours close. Exaggerated strength and saturation in some colours a bit to make it a bit more vibrant.

Really enjoy this excercise.

Last edited by bumskee; January 20th, 2008 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks
    This already looks to be even better than the last thread Bummy, I'll give this a go soon.

Thanks
    yay!
    Uhm... I think I will post my apple. again. xD I didn't save the steps, much to my shame, but here it is:

I have a feeling I'll be living in this thread from now on.

Also, refining and adding detail is where I have most trouble... I think.. ;O; ...here's what I have:

Once I get there, however, I don't know what else to do and the temptation of using other brushes apart from just the basic ones is huge, but I really want to be able to do it with the basic brushes. I also have the feeling that I either blend too much, or I never am able to pick vibrant colors...they seem so opaque.
    Last edited by Cardinal Sins; September 29th, 2007 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks
    Min said if I didn't do a still life this weekend he's start sending me pictures of him in cosplay. Drag cosplay.

So instead of suffer those dire consequences I sat down this afternoon and scribbled this out:

Quick sketch, I need to spend more time here

Sketch refining, I need to spend more time here again!
    Quick multiply layer to get the background color where I want it.

Color block in, big shapes and colors' general placement.

Working big to small, now on medium sized shapes

Refining

more refining

finishing touches. color balance, selective color. Some glazing... fixed an ellipse or two (oops!).

Bonus points if you know the brand and what it's resting on

12. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Idiot Apathy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Apathy View Post
    Min said if I didn't do a still life this weekend he's start sending me pictures of him in cosplay. Drag cosplay.

So instead of suffer those dire consequences I sat down this afternoon and scribbled this out:

Bonus points if you know the brand and what it's resting on
    Are the cosplays really that bad? xD!!!

And it's a Corona resting on a NetFlix case. >___>

Thanks
    Forgot to save steps

Anyway, hungry?

Thanks

nubeslocas apple exercice

Very happy to be here with you practicing digital painting. I'm a big fan of your works bumskee! Keep it rocking!!

Additional info: Most of time it is painful for me to paint, very difficult to find the right colors But is very relaxing to paint from real life!! I enjoyed a lot the exercice and everytime i do i learn something new.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to navarrot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    smokey, Just looking at your apple, i think you are still too attached to the "green" in your memory. the reason the apple seems a little flat is because you aren't looking at the form, values.. it's what holds a pic together. Also notice how the red on the top and bottom is similar? highly unlikely! Trust your eyes!

Cardinal, are these from life? they seem awfully familiar it's important you try it out for urself with a real thing. and as for the bright colours, they actually need darker muted colours to be "bright", contrast.. but again, that's not really important now, try and paint one from life and you will pick up on it no time, also give those links on the first post a try. idiot Apathy's thread is very very good.

Tom! it's a corona! and I am only sending my pics coz you sent me yours..

Navarrot, agreed, it's relaxing in a way, just to take things easy. Nice apple btw, I think you could easily be a little bit more boldwith the values and the green maybe too consistent through out? I think I read somewhere or someone told me Not to be afraid of Grey in nature.. keep it going dude!

Thanks
    yes yes! lot of times i don't find a color that in fact is almost grey. I'll try in the next one

Thanks
    That's your apple =P I didn't have apples at the moment in my room >__< so I used your sketch =P *going to have to sneak an apple out of the cafeteria*

Page 1 of 118 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast