Thanks

Where to get supplies?

I want to start to sculpt but I live in a smaller town and don't have an art store. What should I use or what can I get to start sculpting? Like clay, plaster of paris, I just dont know what to use. What are your suggestions?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    sask canada wat are some things to use as sculpting materials like plaster of paris or wat?

Thanks
    I want to start to sculpt but I live in a smaller town and don't have an art store.
    Well, there are many materials you can sculpt in. Since you're just starting, I'm going to assume you don't have access to a kiln and don't want to make a mold, so if those assumptions are correct, your best place to start is with polymer clay.

Do you have a hobby or craft store, like Michael's, AC Moore, or Hobby Lobby? Any of those will carry polymer clay (Sculpey, Fimo), and may also carry armature wire. They'll have a small selection of tools, but probably not much good, but you can probably pick up a small set to get yourself started. You can get turpenoid there, which some people use for smoothing and get a few cheap paint brushes while you're there. You can pick up isopropyl alcohol (90% or better) from a drug store instead of the turpenoid - it's less aggressive but kinder to your brain and evaporates more quickly. If you're serious, a good investment is a pasta machine for mixing up the polymer clay, but don't ever use it for food after using it for mixing clay.

Then read the SmellyBug tutorials right here in the stickies, and the thread on tool making also up in the stickies, then just grab some wire, aluminum foil, some Super Sculpey, and some pictures of something you want to sculpt. Do not try to work from memory at first, or you will get frustrated and/or ingrain some really bad habits. You need to learn to see in a different way, and the only way to do that is to observe, and then to sculpt.

Then, post pictures of your work here, and people will give you advice and tell you where you can improve and how.

Thanks
    Just one more thing - if you don't have a hobby or craft shop, there's this great thing called the "Internet", where you can order stuff, pay with a credit card, and a few days later, a brown truck shows up at your house and gives you your stuff. It is SO cool. Dick Blick, The Compleat Sculptor, and Pearl Paint should all have everything you need on their web sites, and I'm sure there are other good places online as well.