Sketchbook: I've gotten much better! (latest stuff on latest pages, please look!)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I've gotten much better! (latest stuff on latest pages, please look!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I've gotten much better! (latest stuff on latest pages, please look!)

Just here to show you my work since I can't put it in my gallery. I recently graduated as a Sequential/Conceptual Illustrator and I have only gotten to show my work to a few people and I was hoping to hear what any of you had to say about it.

Later I'll be able to upload my current professional work that I've done for my company but as of now there is an NDA on it and I can't. Most of this is just for a personal story I'm trying to develop. I have a lot more for it than I'm showing here but I hear it's alright to be brief for starters.

THE POINT OF THIS THREAD IS THAT IT'LL GET BETTER AS IT GOES. The only problem is that there will be a great big awkward phase between a lot of my better stuff I've done in the past vs. the not so impressive company oriented stuff all the way back up to a consistently steady increase in quality due to the fact that I'm inspired to continue again.

Chat with me whenever as I'm always on AIM with "NotFrom3rdRock" and hopefully that will be nice. I really enjoy talking to people that are genuinely interested in talking about the industry of sell-out illustration.

Glad to see so many art enthusiasts out here, I hope I get to talk more with you soon.

Portraits, mostly in natural media

Dry Pastel (two master copies in there)

stuff

This is just a closeup on the facial style I prefer to draw in. Although he's a samurai I'm trying not to be too obviously manga-esque with certain choices but others I've come to be rather comfortable with.

Concept phase of Appelo Promontorium or Promont

Skeletal construction (derp)

Musculature development (with cutaway and multiple views) and Head integument

Finalizing development- action poses, full integument and growth views, views without obstructions

incomplete cover or poster

Misc armor designs and characters (things to develop later)

redoing a character I designed in the 2nd grade

I may post more later, I eagerly wish to hear from you all and thank you for clicking my thread.

-Hironori

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Azuma, Hironori; July 15th, 2008 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Thread sucked.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh quite fancy stuff here, me likes. Especially those dry pastel portraits.

I dont have any crits because im not capable of criticizing.

So...Welcome to CA!
    I hope you stay and update

~B. Klarić
    ---SSG#46---
    Blaz ł MarkWinters ł petitemistressł sfa ł Shmaba
    -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey... I want cool sigs and an avatar... I gotta go learn how to do that.

Thank you very much for your kind response, I'd look at your sketchbook so that I may comment on it but my browser is dumb and doesn't load things very well.

I'll definitely continue updating when I have stuff

p.s. how do I get my avatar to show up when I post?

Last edited by Azuma, Hironori; September 27th, 2007 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *cough*

a rather stylized self portrait i just did for muh thread.

Last edited by Azuma, Hironori; September 27th, 2007 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, no need to defend your artwork with watermarks, we all show our stuff here. Anyway I REALLY wanna see the incomplete poster one. That looks absolutely insane.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome start here, think you did well(those studies were great!). My only crit are those insane watermarks D: I can't see the nice works with that stuff slapped on!

TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha, my friends were telling me it was a bad idea too. I have some awful nightmares about seeing some things I've done on television but with someone else's name on it but I suppose I'm thinking a bit too big to be worried about that. I'll see if I can repost without the watermarks.

Thank you so much for your input, your time means a great deal to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

whew...

There's some of it reposted without watermark.. I'll see if I can get more up tomorrow. Again, thanks for letting me know how you felt about that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

couple more of my girlfriend jenn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bump for prosperity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Five Bones

Great work here.
    Five Bones From Me.

By The Way
    Bumping Yourself is
    considered bad form here.

FEED THIS THREAD SOME STARS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aha...very sorry. My thread was at the bottom of the page and I figure it'd be an even bigger waste to make a new one. It won't happen again.

Thank you very much for your kind words also, coming from someone as skilled as yourself it makes me feel like signing up here was very worthwhile.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Skeletal stuff without watershit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The dry pastel ones with the master copies make me stare o.o....Good job! such an inspiration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so very much. Anton Raphael Mengs is a great man to base early pastel studies off of. He has such command of color and value placement as well as a very "desegnio" feel to his style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

tried to make a sprite version of my character. I used FFVI porportions because... well I love how FFVI looks.

^ probably my best inking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like your skeletons and creatures.
    i think some of the more illustration stuff is a little less inspired
    but you are young and have a lot of time to refine ur stuff
    congrats on graduating

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No one has ever called my work uninspired before. I'll take it to heart and try even harder to understand what it means to be TRUE artists like all of you. I'll have more updates soon.

For you future critiquers, please tell me something in specific that caught your eyes as a "do or don't" kind of thing, not just a general wash. I'd like to know whats really bugging you or what you really enjoy if anything.

Thanks again for your time even those of you who look but don't speak.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent display here, and 5 stars from me. I personally find your illustrations quite inspired though if I could offer a critique, I would say please FINISH something (and of course post it in the appropriate forum) It's hardly fair to look at these incredible "sketches" and see no pay-off!

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." -Scott Adams

Ian Miles is offline Leave you message after press enter key. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have my respects. oh:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you sir... but oh:?

Hopefully I'll have more up in a few days.

AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH HOT GIRL you honor my humble thread with words of great generosity.

See you after class...

Last edited by Azuma, Hironori; April 7th, 2008 at 12:25 PM.
    Here's my awesome, pro website.
    http://www.aoyamacraig.com

Character designer/Illustrator looking for studio work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty damn awesome, I'd say you did very well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man its actually very empowering to receive such good feedback from all of you. I feel like I'm improving by just having done this. I really thank all of you for making this a notable occasion. Everything I do from now on will definitely be even better. I can't wait to show you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following

crit

it seemed for a while that you wanted some critiques. i'll give you 5*s for the good stuff.

the rest of this is going to be dispassionate though...
    http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...ural-Media.jpg
    --rendering on the left one is nice, but there's something about the way you've drawn the pose that doesn't capture the weight distribution of a seated model.
    --second from the left...the inked one is alright, but i don't like the other two heads. inconsistent quality.
    --third one is very good. nice use of a limited monochromatic palette, etc.
    --the picture of your grandmother is very flat... even faces have long gestural and rhythmic lines. this one feels like it was rendered piece by piece. The hair highlights or rendering seems a little unnatural. The kanji need a little work too--simply zigzagging down the right hand side of "so" doesn't cut it. (sorry i'm coming off like a dick about this picture, but i spent a lot of time studying o-shuuji, and it's a pet peeve of mine. i can tell that this is a personal picture, possibly done as a school assignment, and probably a bit earlier than the stuff farther down the page.)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...ral-Media2.jpg
    --the two master copies are on both ends, right? they're both very nicely done. good job.
    --the middle one has some weird choices in it...the fringe of green at the bottom that matches the hat color, the red, blue and yellow shapes blocked in for the background... they all kind of lessen the placement of the figure and are distracting. compare that with the master studies...
    -- the shadow on the chest is too dark. white fabric is almost always translucent to some extent, and even if it wasn't there should be some warm light bouncing around there.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m.../Misc-Dump.jpg
    --the tonal stuff at the bottom of the page is very good. you should do more like these to develop tonal control.
    --the two heads or portraits are pretty manga-ish. i think one of them might have been drawn from life. if so, you need to spend more time life drawing. (no one can ever spend enough time life drawing, it has to be a constant life-long pursuit to keep your skills sharp)
    --can't tell about the rest. too small.

--i like the graphic shapes of the samurai head's hair. i think you should continue to explore that motif. this is nitpicking, but it will help develop your eye--look at the negative "v" shapes in the hair. about 5-6 of them all have the exact same negative-"v"-shape angle. it is good to repeat some things, but it is important to vary others. this is a great start for the hair shape, and i think you can really take it places, but i think you need to push some design considerations a little further. (obviously anyone with a trained eye can look into someone's picture and analyze every design choice to death. but, if i can notice it in 30 seconds, somebody else can too.)

anyway, people vary greatly about how much criticism they want and how much detail they can absorb. i don't know you, so i'm going to stop here. for the record, i like the orthographic anatomical studies and the inking job you've done on them. very cool stuff. 5*'s from me for the good stuff, but keep your nose to the grindstone. definitely keep on drawing from life, using bigger drawing motions for rhythm and gesture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, what to say... I'm absolutely blown away that someone of your skills would take the time to articulate such a thoughtful crit. Many things I really felt you nailed on the head. One can never do life studying too much and I admit that I've been lacking in doing so recently. I'm glad you can appreciate all the things you feel I've done well. The samurai character in particular is one very close to me and I intend on refining him even further before I produce anything that involves him professionally.

One thing I wasn't clear on was:
    -the two heads or portraits are pretty manga-ish. i think one of them might have been drawn from life. if so, you need to spend more time life drawing.

You're right in them not being exact portraits and you are also right that one was drawn from life... until recently I have tried to stylize her somewhat but is "manga-ish" a fault or were you saying that if I were to be trying to create a verbatum portraiture then my inaccuracies tilted that way? In any case it does make sense to step away from the stylization and just get back to reality. I just feel so out of touch from my own country (Japan) that I should owe it to myself to be able to fit in there a bit better. I don't intend on selling myself out to a cookie cutter manga style though. I want to make sure I have an understanding for many things good and bad about drawing for comics or illustrations.

I very much enjoy that you could critique the handwriting for my grandmother's portrait. I'm still working on writing and speaking and I don't quite grasp it as well as I should yet but I think writing will help me articulate better with a brush.

I look forward to hearing from you again when I post more of my recent work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    First thread I've subscribed to. 'Nuff said!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GOOD IDEA

(thanks!)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    it's been a few years since i've done any really intense japanese, but back in the day i was decent at it. passed the kanji kentei examination at a pretty high level for a foreigner. i started learning japanese 16 years ago because my high school didn't have shit for art classes. i stuck with it, studied abroad twice, had scholarships, etc. now, after working for the gov't in the desert for 6 years... i'm pretty rusty.

Name:  kanji rhythm copy.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  87.5 KB

there are a few things to keep in mind when studying japanese caligraphy. one, architecture--kanji are "constructed" like buildings. elements need to be placed solidly. spacing needs to make sense. things need to line up. two, negative space. three, rhythm.

when i was first beginning, i fell in love with the rhythm of writing japanese. the way you can connect strokes and make that spidery zigzagging rhythm. i was also pretty aware, at times, of the importance of leaving that negative space--especially in characters like the hiragana "i" on the left.

after studying for a while, the big eye opener became "construction" and overall shapes and relationships. on a higher level, writing kanji is much like drawing a face--the right eye has to relate to the left eye, both eyes have to relate to the brow and nose, etc. there are invisible construction lines that good japanese calligraphers learn after repeated practice much like we learn to draw a horizontal construction line for the brow, eyes, nose and mouth. of course, nobody makes pencil marks to figure out where the ink is going to go in Japan. that's why they spend so much time practicing. the "??" (sobou) I was sketching out shows some of the construction lines i was trying to think about. And it only gets more difficult when you have strings of characters to write. Achieving a harmony between variety and unity with very differently shaped characters teaches all kinds of compositional lessons.

anyway, i'm glad you're going after some of these things and pursuing them. japanese is a very beautiful language, and chinese/korean/japanese caligraphy has some very profound lessons for all artists. i haven't learned even a tiny fraction of them yet, but i can see the value in studying it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would have replied sooner but I was busy bookmarking and archiving work from some of the artists you have posted on your thread. I could go on for hours about any of them so i can't thank you enough for pointing them out to me. Many of them I had already seen before but simply didn't know the names of so I'm very fortunate for joining this place.

You're right about the calligraphy you learn paralleling drawing in every way, that's why I want to get better at it. The sketch you did of the proper letters in "grandmother" was very educational. I will indeed work harder on learning everything. thanks again for taking the time to explain those things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Thanks for popping my by SB thread my man.

I'll try to chime in with some input here for you.

One of the first things that you commented on was that you were "trying not to be overtly managa". Upon consideration, I think that you have acheived that goal. The work (to me) resembles Speed Racer or Space Ghost in your line work and "rounder" lines for the mouth and cheeks.

The master copies are very well done. Got any more?

You are right that the best inking on Sept 28th post is the bottom one. It is a very strong piece and I'd like to see more finished to that level. Very nice! The same also goes for the Skeletal structure of the creature you designed.

One thing that puzzles me is that I have a feeling that you have an affinity for color yet in the monotone illustrations of the Dragon& knight, the color ( on my monitor) comes off as flat and muddy. Perhaps add some more lighter lights and some darker darks to acentuate the tonal range and make the image(s) pop.

That's my 2 cents for now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5