Acrylic on canvas. Recent Paintings

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I recently took up painting. These are my first four pieces. Apologies for the poor photo quality on the boxer and the running game, they wouldn't show up right no matter how I took the pictures.
    Most recent, regressing.

"handrail, sky- the better parts of me"

"the boxer"

-detail

"the running game"

-detail

"untitled"

-detail

fasjd;...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the last one of the red-and-white boy is my favorite, although i think it could benefit from some sort of sketchy background.

i love your textural brushstrokes and how certain parts are just roughed in whereas some are more defined. it's a technique i've been experimenting a lot with lately.

looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With pieces like these it's usually good to post the concepts with them.

From what I'm seeing, you should begin studying with drawing, learning anatomy, perspective, form, composition, light, and color theory. It's hard to critique these paintings because none of them have a background, none indicate perspective, none have a discernable lighting setup.

My suggestion; Begin painting still lives and landscapes and figures, first in black and white, then in color. When painting in Black and white, you learn to control values and see values in color, how to seperate objects using contrast, and how to lead the eye using value. Spend a while on the paintings too, don't give up on one.

I would also suggest investing in oils. Acrylics are very plasticky- or well, there was this quote from William Whitaker.
    Acrylics are to Ketchup, as Oils are to Butter.

Also, oils stay wet longer if you want them to, so it's way easier to paint.

Also, please read the rules... 1 piece at a time!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would continue work like your "untitled" piece. It's not groundbreaking in it's conception, however, it's a very good direction. I like the composition, the brushwork and the colours used. All and all the best of what you showed.

Work on your basics and follow the previous advice. Continue in that last artwork's style, explore more, experiment more with it. That gestural like tendency you have could turn out to be impressive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i've been meaning to get into to oils. these were my first paintings ever, so i chose an easier medium and simpler subject matter.

i'm going to try doing some monochromatic and black and white pieces next since i do have a lot of trouble with color. all i ever really work with is pen and ink. i am also having a lot of trouble really defining shapes and lines like i can do with drawing. i can't tell if it's from the lines not being harsh enough of the colors not being very distinct.

...how do you make brown? i always get a greenish grey.

all the light sources are in the top right of the picture facing towards the center, except the last one which has no light source at all. it's just a graphic design.

why does the last one get more recognition than the better two in the middle?

fasjd;...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    why does the last one get more recognition than the better two in the middle?
    Being the artist you are deeply fimiliar with your work and skill. What you think to be your best work may not appear that way to us.

The reason why I myself prefer the last one is because it falls into one of my niches. People migrate to what they favour or what they do themselves. I fall under that broad aspect. Another reason is because it's the most clear and detailed of all the photos you've taken. Not to mention even a great photographic capture may not properly represent the colours the actual painting has.

So, It's all down to taste and the quality of the photo.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.