Thanks

Smile Odin's Runesong sculpture

I know I'm a terrible poster, I have a tendency to lurk here. Please forgive me and give this a look and some feedback.

This sculpture has been my baby (it took 9 months so I think that's a good description) it's my interpretation of Odin's sacrifice on Yggdrasil in order to learn the seret of the runes. It's roughly 26 inches tall, sculpted mainly from super sculpey and painted in acrylics. Even though I like the finished product I'm never again making that many leaves.

Odin's Runesong sculpture

And on my site http://noadi.cywh.com/image/WIPs/odin.htm

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I am new to this and far from having enough skill and knowledge to try crit your stuff. All I wanted to say is that I dig the idea. At this stage I look at a sculpture and wonder if I would want it in my living room; in this instance it's a definite yes.

Thanks

Thanks
    Yes, but those are also bead leaves. Wiring the leaves on wasn't bad, it was sculpting each individual little leaf that was a pain.

Thanks
    mmh, that`s right. but wiring them was quite a pain for me too. i kept glueing my fingers together..
    So you sculpted the leaves separately and then attached them afterwards, right? Uh, and that`s really huge, isnt`t it? about 60cm?
    anyway, really cool work!
    greets, matthias

Thanks
    Yeah, I made each leaf separately on a wire from cold porcelain which is an air dry clay, then when they were dry I wired them all on and secured it with glue and a little more air dry clay over the wires.

It's the biggest sculpture I've ever done, getting it into my oven to cure the super sculpey parts was tricky, it just barely fit when lying on it's side. If I've done my math right it's about 66cm tall.

Thanks
    Oh, that sounds tricky, indeed. how did you suport it without damaging the surface and prevent it from braking? i once happend to destroy something because it softend up, bent over, broke and was immediately burnt were it touched the oven ground. due to some armature-weakness and perhaps i was heating it too fast..quite a mess..
    i`ve just peered at your homepage, that`s cool! I like your style, quite fantastic and dreamy. and i love that squid of yours and your avatar-face :-)

Thanks
    Sorry I haven't answered your question earlier, I for some reason missed that the thread had been replied to again. I have a heat gun that I use to firm up the surface of the clay, then it's safe enough to prop it up with pieces of wood. With your problem I'm going to guess it was weakness in the armature, that's usually the cause of major breakage while baking.

I put together a little video of the process behind creating Odin, so check it out http://youtube.com/watch?v=O5191oM5xCw

Thanks