Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IDW #46: Sailbarge

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #46: Sailbarge

Topic: Sailbarge

Background: A pretty simple topic this time. It should actually be "sailing ship" but that just wouldn't work I guess The idea is to design a ship that uses sails - in whatever fashion you can come up with.

The ship can be anything from a warship, merchant vessel or yacht, as long as it uses sail as it's main propulsion. However, this doesn't mean you're restricted to traditional ships, I think everyone remembers Jabba the Hutt's Sailbarge from Star Wars, or flying ships like the Weatherlight from Magic the Gathering. Normal ships are fine as well though.

Brief:
    1. Design a ship that uses sails as it's main propulsion.
    2. That's it

Deadline: Wednesday October 3 2007

Last edited by yoitisi; October 2nd, 2007 at 02:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a great deal of possiblities, I will be really interested to see what people come up with for this topic.

There are plenty of new-designs for modern sail powered vessels if people google for them.

yoitisi - out of interest how strick do we need be for sails do the 'power-kite' style designs fall within this topic too?

MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    D-Holme: If I remember well these 'power-kites' only help to reduce the fuel needed to propel large ships, so it isn't exactly sail-only. If you can come up with an all-wind-powered concept with this power-kite stuff I'm happy Any other ways of propulsion should only be to get into the harbor or whatever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

So, even after an extra day, I still haven't managed to get this thing done, for shame! I apologize for not completing this guys!

Earth has flooded, and cities and towns needed to build ships to survive. They gathered everything they could in the hope that one day habitable land would appear again. It never did, so generation after generation was born on these ships, hearing tales of endless fields of wheat and trees full of wild animals....

Last edited by ScaryPotato; October 5th, 2007 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

kind of Audi style of the yacht ...

really, really speedjob ... in terms of illustration and design.
    total time is about 30 minutes - mainly custom texture brushes were used.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ScaryPotato, Mikedee: I like what's going on here Working on my own here, hope I'll have time to finish something at long last.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Final

Final update 05.10.07

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Going with a fantasical style Man of War or frigate - not that happy with how it is going together, I like some of the form but the rendition is shot. Want to build up some structure on deck to make it a little different from current (or past designs).

scarypatato - like the sketch, are you going for a SWATH style hull, the steamline hull blend the futuristic look in well.

mikedee - very smooth modern design - almost like the next generation of racing yatchs, interested to see how it floats with the water, do you see it as a planing craft?

Last edited by D-Holme; October 5th, 2007 at 07:45 AM. Reason: WIP Updated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it too much, have to try something with this.
    Scarypotato thats a great idea, keep workin' on that!

Last edited by Zutaiola; September 30th, 2007 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP - hopefully I'll have time to do something with it before Wednesday's deadline

UPDATE-

Yea... it's nearly 5am, and I'm only now coming close to finishing my Feedback Control lab report due tommorow; I'm going to have to bow out from this week's contest since I had no time to work on my sailboat more :/

Hope to see some awesome stuff tommorow! (er, later today!)

Last edited by KuJo; October 3rd, 2007 at 04:45 AM. Reason: updating status

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not really sure what I'm doing with my ship...the hull started off as like a catamaran, but thought it seemed too normal, so I closed the bottom in and flattened it a bit so it might give something that size a little more stability. I have started slapping some colours on it, but am having a tough time making it seem big! October 2nd is coming up too fast for me, noooooo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ScaryPotato: I think it looks smaller than it should because it doesn't have a lot of perspective going on Instead of making a vanishing point so far on the left as it is now, try shifting it more to the right until it is almost behind the ship's hull. I'd suggest you check some photo's of large sailing ships for reference, it might help getting the hull to look larger. Showing the lower part of the ship while it's under water seems a bit weird maybe. Also, the horizon seems to be at an angle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    after last week's crapshoot im going to try and pull up on the reigns of life here a bit... without the novelty of team fortress 2 and halo 3 riding me, i'll have a bit more focus :/

basically, as most of you can tell from my past submissions im colorphobic and retarded... from my initial thumbs i was going for a solar sail type ship and the sail kept evolving into a leaf-type shape... so than i decided to make a plant based boat!... doesn't that seem like a natural progression to you?!

Thumbs

i've never rendered water before... so i really have no clue as to how i feel about it... other than its flat and bland atm... i'll keep trying to pour layer upon layer onto it in order to solve my problems :/

EDIT, the "i want to cut myself" water version is here... really im completing this one out of principal... i need to break myself from the mentality that i have a choice to do these/things that don't immediately interest me, and just do it

THE GOGGLES, THEY DO NOTHING!!!

Last edited by Legato; October 4th, 2007 at 05:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yoitisi, Scarypotato excuse me!, I think there could be a mistake, I've got a calendar in front of me, I see Wednesday is October 3, that would give us the week for this thread, isn't it?

Could it be a lapse yoitisi?

Anyways i'm late for Tuesday actually is today for me right now!pld:

Last edited by Zutaiola; October 1st, 2007 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zutaiola: My mistake Don't panic, I'll change it to October 3rd.

Legato: I like the idea, but there are a few things that could make it stand out more. First, the most detail is at the rear of the ship, which works against the perspective of the whole. Bring out the front part more by adding a few details (like a mast, some details on the sail and on the bow etc). The same applies to your use of color and highlights, they're as strong up front as they are at the rear. It would create a better sense of depth if you toned it down the more it's away from the viewer. The bowwave coming out after the ship start a bit too far away from the hull on the back. At the front of the picture it starts at the corner where the hull touches the water, but if you'd construct that on the side the viewer can't see the wave would start a little further away. It makes the ship seem to be on the verge of sinking As for the water, the best solution I think is checking some references.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doubts, doubts. Could it be rigid sails?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zutaiola View Post
    Doubts, doubts. Could it be rigid sails?
    if your referring to mine than yeah, they are supposed to be ridged

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not really! I wasn't sure about the kind of yours . I was thinking about my sketches and some references. I think rigid sails have many possibilities for futuristic/SCFI design!.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    minor update... i bit off more than i can chew

i'll do a de-saturate pass when it's 'done' in photoshop... but in the mean time i bs'd some details in the front which i hadn't planned on...

meh - pity party!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scary Potato - that's looking really good, loving the crazy scale to it.

Legato - the shadow of the ship suggests rather shallow water some view of the seabed might help bring the background in with the rest of the image.

WIP added above, have managed to get some work done during my lunch hour - trying to work on a quicker and looser style, mainly to avoid getting caught up on small details and not making any deadlines. Concentrating on blocks of form but not doing too well. Not that it is great or that there is much time to go but comments are appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was thinking of closing the thread tonight, but seeing that most of you are still working on your entry I'll give it another 24h.

RadioactivePJ is offline largely underwhelming talent Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, um you'll all probably think that I'm retarded, but I'm one of the few people uder thirty who's never done this message board thing and I have no idea how to post my illustration, can someone give me a hand?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RadioactivePJ, I like to use a site called www.photobucket.com for my images. You open an account there (it's free) and upload images from your computer to there. It'll give you a link for that image, copy and paste that into your message here, and ba-da bing, you're done!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yoitisi - thanks for that it is appreciated - must be able to meet a deadline at some point.

Scary Potato - if your having problems with the sails and masts you might want to look like making them some more like modern racing sails with the more advanced looking carbon-fibre masts (in nature rather than shape), might fit in better with the advanced look of the rest of the design.

Edit - another thought would be to have horizontal spars off horizontal masts, which would likely work better if one wanted to be practical.

Last edited by D-Holme; October 4th, 2007 at 12:08 PM.

RadioactivePJ is offline largely underwhelming talent Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Scary Potato, much obliged, lets see if I can make this work.
    http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...lairshiplo.jpg

Right, cool, well here's my thing.

www.radioactivepencil.com

Last edited by RadioactivePJ; October 4th, 2007 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    D-Holme, thanks for the good advice. I think I will redo the sails to something more fitting with the style of the ship because right now it looks extremely cheesy! Got something in mind right now, but just for future reference, are spars the vertical support things on my masts?

yoitisi, with the extra day extension on this theme, will we by any chance see an entry from you?

RadioactivePJ, cool concept you've got there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ScaryPotato: As deadlines came crushing down on me I didn't think I'd have time to finish anything, but this evening I couldn't get myself to do any work so I started scribbling to see if I could get one of my thumbs to work. I actually managed to get something going I'll be posting it later on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scary Potato - yep I was thinking of the parts that you curently have vertically as spars, though I suppose yard is a more accurate term as spar could be a lot of thing amongst rigging and masts. If you have it vertically sails would hang against gravity so they'd hang lopsided + a horizontally mounted sail can be angled to favour the wind - boo, overly technical.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There you go:

Took me about 3 to 4 hours on a straight stretch this evening, so I might get back to it if I do not close the thread before that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yoitisi could you please tell me which are the type of liners you use to work with? I'm trying to find that kind of fine/thin line on my sketches.

I'm not sure about any of my ideas this time . I'm trying to do something acceptable but I know I'm two days late!.

Last edited by Zutaiola; October 5th, 2007 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't posted anything in a couple years, haha... wish I had more time to paint this up, but here's a couple hours work... wings are obviously just some alphas.

yoitisi - What a warship! Impressive, u do not have peace in mind with this guy.

RadioactivePJ - we have similar ideas, I like the bags lining yours. Great sunset setting also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.