Sketchbook: Face in the crowd~Magami
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Face in the crowd~Magami

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Face in the crowd~Magami

This is my first CA sketchbook, though I'm certainly not new to the idea of posting art online.

I only have one decent product currently online (thereby being easily accessible at this time) that I feel is worthy of this site, and that is the following dinosaur:

In my line of thinking right now(subject to change, I'm still young^^; ), this could become a portfolio piece along with my observation sketches/paintings. I supposed the background could be more detailed. What do you think?

EDIT-I've put my two.....sorta animeish (OHGODNO!) inspired pieces of various (OC) characters here because I think the color will make my thread mroe attractive as opposed to a monochromatic thumbnail. Yes, these are slightly exaggerated in detail, but i think they highlight the "artist bitch", the hand, quite nicely. I'm especially proud of the pink haired girl, because she was drawn all in pen (why do I do this to myself? XD)

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Magami; December 1st, 2007 at 12:14 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whowaweewa as Borat could say. Thats nice. What tool you used to draw like that? Oh and welcome to CA

sujak nx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. Merely a regular ball point pen, a thin one. A source was used, but like a lot of dinosaur renderings, much of it is conceptional. Same goes for Deinonychus, the real little star of Jurassic Park, not those misnamed "raptors". As for the the cigarette and the blank spaces were done various reasons, mostly because I was both watching "Thank You For Smoking" and also wanted to render the picture in CG. But I'm new to layers. I'm taking a CS class in a few months.
    2. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by Magami; September 24th, 2007 at 11:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the background would be distracting if you added much more detail to it. The textures and hatching are pretty cool, although they tend to flatten out the full-bodied dinosaur on the left. You might want to darken the shadows so that the form stands out more. Also, the pose is kind of stiff. Even a little turn to the neck or hips, to give it a shift in weight, would make it more interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! The proportions look right on! Nice work!!! MORE, MORE!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More portfolio candidates;

1.Geisha (Geiko) doll with incense;

2.Lovely face; (This is not going in the portfolio)

3. semi-realism- Motorcycle;

2 out of three direct observation...not bad I'd say.

Last edited by Magami; December 1st, 2007 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Theres a good start here. To me, though, it looks like you're not spending enough time on the underdrawing and structure of something before you go ahead and paint/detail it. The dinosaur drawing is well detailed and looks fine above the waist, but its almost like he gets human proportions from the waist down. Similar with the bike, rendering and painting skills look great, but structure is a bit off. Keep going, keep drawing, keep painting and you'll definitely get there. Just focus a bit more at the beginning stages.
    Tips: look at the drawing flipped, hold it up to a light to see it from behind, look at it upside down, etc.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No excuse for the dino's poor leg shape, that was just for fun, but the motorcycle was intended to be abstract(teacher mandated), but midway, I decided that would look awful. So...yea. "semi-realism" XP

Edit: Wow, viewing these images on Windows XP, they don't look very coordinated. And the Motorcycle's blurry camera resolution looks worse as well...I don't know if this is just me or what (I use Vista on my notebook...since I'm not going to bother attempting a downgrade. It serves me well I suppose.)

Edit #2: Here's another old piece, the still life artist's staple, FRUIT: up close & personal, in oil pastels. (with a harsh shadow...I know I know. XD)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Self portrait, done last year and updated last week.

It's going in the Ringling portfolio for review.

Sketchbook~Any comments much appreciated

Also known as Magamish, not to mention countless other "Maga" variants. It's an addiction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Broken woman: Revamped

Last edited by Magami; December 1st, 2007 at 11:51 AM.

Also known as Magamish, not to mention countless other "Maga" variants. It's an addiction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Magami, thanks for commenting on my SB.

I love your work. That last one is trippy but one thing... lose the lens glare.

Hopefully we'll both be at ringling come next year

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work! I like the motorcycle and the cubistic one the most. I have to agree with Jodo: lose the glare. It looks like you're painting pretty fast and you're not taking enough time to really analyze your objects. It really helps if you just slow down your penstrokes, maybe step back and look at your picture. Also with symmetrical things (eg. faces) lightly drawing in the axis helps noticing if something looks off a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YAY.
    I'll retake the picture of the woman, I don;t know why I thought the glare was cool 5 months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by breistift View Post
    It looks like you're painting pretty fast and you're not taking enough time to really analyze your objects. It really helps if you just slow down your penstrokes; maybe step back and look at your picture. Also with symmetrical things
    I actually love doing that.
    I had to rush that piece because I only get 35 minute segments to paint certain parts of the picture, and I kept reworking the piece from a monochromatic photo. The art teacher also wanted it to be more abstract, adding to the issues. But hey, she's planning on buying it from me, I can't complain. However, I'm willing to touch it up one more time. If there was ONE part that could stand to be reworked (I have until the 17th to finish up everything), what part should it be?

lightly drawing in the axis helps noticing if something looks off a lot.
    I was merely copying a photo, the guy had his head tilted. I'm aware that his eyes aren't even enough though. I must be more pro-axis.
    Thank you very much, guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I revamped the motorcycle ever so slightly, hopefully the image isn't as blurry either. That's what I must put on CD.

Also modified the first image, but it may be a tad different from the final product in the portfolio.

Last edited by Magami; October 17th, 2007 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Magami View Post
    Broken woman:

I don't know if I should include this or not.
    Include it. That is the kind of creative stuff Ringling likes to see. Your Portfolio's coming along nicely. Good luck to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really now. Well, in another thread I was told appeared although it lacked direction, but maybe that was a moot point after all, since I didn't indicate that until just a few minutes ago that this was for Ringling (so the person didn't see the breadth of it, I guess). I'm sorting it all out right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the messiah. That's a really neat piece... it makes you stop and check out the image corner to corner... which is something you want the Ringling guys to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All right, I've got the whole thing finished now, after a full day of touchups, revisions, and the spouting of various questions.
    Let's see...
    1. I dropped Adam Scott Miller, an artist I derive inspiration from the final 10, he wasn't a life study so much as facial practice and really fun to draw as a tribute.^^

2. Touched up that infernal Motorcycle once again, changing the taillights to their proper colors.

3. Anything else I've posted here (besides aforementioned ASM, fruit, and the old, fuzzy portrait version) has been used. That includes this last batch of stuff:

Last edited by Magami; December 1st, 2007 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Though I have little time, my portfolio's been in the process of a slight revamp, expanded to 20 pieces, as this is one of the new ones I've just completed for this purpose:

Last edited by Magami; December 1st, 2007 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, your pictures looks very realistic. In this picture:

Quote Originally Posted by Magami View Post
    More final products...

Everyone does shoes ...hence, this came into being; The other is a rough charcoal sketch of my brother working out (hasn't been doing it for very long XD)
    the one in the red tint, was that drawn from a photo or did she really lie there for however long? I love drawings like that, but I never knew how they came to draw that.

And while i'm on the topic, are the rest of the drawings (still life/life drawing) from photos or real life?

Overall though, I'm really interested in your drawings. (not boring, like some of mine are, lol) Especially the muscle drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey magami, good luck, tings are looking very good!
    How about you share with us your full portfolio?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm embarrassed, i never even saw these two new comments. T.T

Quote Originally Posted by Crimm View Post
    Wow, your pictures looks very realistic. In this picture:

the one in the red tint, was that drawn from a photo or did she really lie there for however long? I love drawings like that, but I never knew how they came to draw that.
    My mom did agree to lie there for that long, but she wishes that I took some liberties regarding her....neck. XD (that would defeat the purpose of drawing from life, eh? )
    Fortunately though, she's not actually overweight, though that forehead is definitely how I saw it. She's since gotten bangs/fringes. XD
    Also, the red tint was a filter on PS, for the sake of looking different.

Overall though, I'm really interested in your drawings. (not boring, like some of mine are, lol) Especially the muscle drawing!
    Thanks. Check out my DA in my sig as well, for more diversity. And I'll see how "boring" your sketches are. I doubt it.

And^, and I will share the rest of my portfolio pieces, I have 19 in all (I jope that's not considered overkill, and if anyone feels as though I shouldn't have included any particular piece....too late. Everything, including the app, CD, and transcript's has been sent. XD;;;;;;;;;;

Also, I've since included the oil pastel fruit still life in the portfolio, as well as fixed two of my pieces already submitted The changes are visible to the Muscular model, and the Broken woman piece. (Note the EDIT in the first post as well) So, as for pieces not shown....

Last edited by Magami; December 1st, 2007 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey looks very good.. A bit hard to tell if it' an overkill since you didn't show which ones you put on the portfolio.. but I am a big believer of the -less is more- approach.

good job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that motorcycle looks awesome man....nice job with that one...keep it up!

"dear diary:..jackpot" my sketchbook

team chow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by UriL View Post
    Hey looks very good.. A bit hard to tell if it' an overkill since you didn't show which ones you put on the portfolio.. but I am a big believer of the -less is more- approach.

good job!
    All of them are portfolio pieces with the exception the smiling guy sketch (actually an artist I'm a fan of, Adam Scott Miller)
    I had ten pieces orginally, but Amy Fischer said she wanted to see more, when she viewed them. *shrug*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let's say I was to submit this portfolio to SCAD. What would I need to change, do you think? (asking anyone)
    I'm aware they don't require a portfolio for admission ( it is a mere backup school) but I'm just curious, since their sequential art course intrigues me, as do scholarships, of course. XD <EDIT-might not consider submitting it after all...)
    This portfolio, I should mention, has also been sent to Pratt MWP (not in Brooklyn, goodness no)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, I love the one of the bunnies. Reminds me of Tenchi Muyo, lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figured I'd revive this after eons of disuse, the excitement of school, the mass posting on DeviantArt, and now this more focused blog: http://bloggyblogrcad.blogspot.com/

But I could post a few pieces from each here and see what actual critiques people might have...if any. =D

From a project on a Facebook group, with weekly themes. This one would happen to be that of Micheal Jackson (his public mask on display, ect)

A W.I.P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahh, please revive! I love your stufs

Members who have read this thread: 7