Sketchbook: ND's Sketchbook - (Update 9/30: Pencils Tutorial)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ND's Sketchbook - (Update 9/30: Pencils Tutorial)

Here are a few of my recent pencil drawings and CG things. I'm very open to critique. I would love to be able to improve, and while I realize that practice is what's going to be 80% of what does that, critiques from people who've been at this a while now I'm sure will help tons!

The top right and lower dragons are me tossing around the dragon idea above.

I do like the Warcraft. My bipolar gnome warlock and her felpuppy. Sadly, not a dragon.

A casualty of the hard drive meltdown.

Pretty Princess Pony. It's got dragon wings. That makes it a dragon, right?

It's a fairy... who's thinking about dragons. And therefore is relevent. lol anime.

Meso-American Dagrum.

Baby Dagrum with a wing coming out of its neck. Sadly, not as cool as a notorious dragon who has an arm coming out of his neck.

A hydra that decided it didn't just want to stick to multiple heads alone.

I'm hoping to combine this dragon with the pretty princess pony in hopes of having that foreground-middleground-background thing I seem to overlook at every turn.

And I attached an image to serve as a thumbnail. I will use the attachment feature in the future. I'm still somewhat new here. Apologies.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by J-NeonDragon-Peffer; September 30th, 2007 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Edited to have a thumbnail by attaching an image.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very good art man!!! i love dragons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A drawing I drew for the DSG "robots with synthetic muscles" theme. I don't draw robots, so this was a challenge for me. I need a lot of work, and perhaps some lensflare

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by J-NeonDragon-Peffer; September 27th, 2007 at 04:44 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude nice stuff, love the dragons!

pld: NEED CRITIQUE! But BEWARE your Eyes might BLEED OUT of YOUR eye SOCKETS <---cause I really suck and haven't done shit pld:
    My Sketch Book!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi dude! Your dragons are awesome, this sketchbook is a great promise!
    I will be back ciao

Last edited by Dreamworker; September 27th, 2007 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wish to speak to the head man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i will be back

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurant View Post
    i wish to speak to the head man
    If you're talking about me, feel free to reply in this thread or via PM and I'll respond ;-) If you mean CA.org in general, you may want to try talking to a mod.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, that is some incredible linework.

If I can crit one aspect, I feel that morphologically, we've seen all these types of dragons before. That robot though, that's pretty darn unique.
    Anyway it's great stuff, look forward to seeing more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did like my strange little antennae I had going on, but other then that, there's nothing new happening here. One of the reasons why is that I'm a sucker for the archetype of a dragon. I think it's a cool creature, and thus I enjoy emulating a lot of what's been done before. But you're right, and I could definately benefit from stepping outside the box a little bit. If I don't like it out there, I'll at least have learned something before crawling back in!

I'll try and get some more original dragon-creatures posted in the coming weeks. I'm afraid most of my WIP still stick to the archetypal shape, but once I'm finished with those I will make efforts to branch out. Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mini Tut

I get a lot of questions on how I do my pencil work, so for now, here's a mini tutorial on how I do it. Much of this information is probably known by many of the members here, but hey, if I help even one person, then it wasn't a waste posting it! I am making this mini tutorial largely for my livejournal. More images coming soon. I'm scanning as I'm drawing.

Materials :
    0.5 Mechanical Pencil
    4H Lead
    White Rubber Eraser
    Sketchbook Paper

Construction :
    Using my mechanical Pencil, I VERY VERY lightly sketch out what I want my drawing to look like. I use shapes and build off of them. Because I'm drawing super lightly, it's easy to erase mistakes. In fact, I don't even NEED to erase mistakes, because my final drawing will be much darker and sharper, so these extremely light lines will not really be notacible. I darkened this slightly so it can be viewed online, but IRL, you need a pretty good light to be able to see the drawing. The light underdrawing is VERY important. You want to have the entire drawing figured out before you begin pluggin in massive amounts of detail.

Tightening Drawing 1:
    I remove a few stray construction lines that I no longer need, such as the lines of the body, which are completely obscured by the wing. Light lines that cross huge areas of white WILL be noticible in the final product. I begin slowly giving my loose construction some specifics. The googles now have a more recognizable shape. The arm gained definition, as did some of the feathers in the wing. I don't go drawing in individual wing rips yet, but I do begin to make this drawing feel more like a character. These lines are just a touch darker then the construction lines. They really do not dig into the paper in any way, and are easy to erase.

Tightening Drawing 2:
    I go over the entire drawing and give it all the different elements that I will want in the finished piece, including costuming and anatomy specifics.

The goal with this "tightening" phase is to get all my thinking completely done, and thus any reason to erase done with as well. I DO NOT want to erase a dark line. It doesn't work well, and it will leave a dent in the paper that will be hard to shade evenly later. These lines are still VERY light. I darkened them in Photoshop using the contrast option so you can see them better.

Note that this pencilwork is complete enough that if I wanted to, I could use them as guide for inking at this point! Right now my time spent on this drawing is around 15 minutes. Getting light linework that shows the general way a drawing will look is really all you need before you go to inks.

Begin "Final" Pencil Work:
    Now, I said I could ink this. The thing is, I like the look of really nice, tight pencils, and it is in fact possible to color under nice pencilwork for a softer look that still retains line value. (or it can be used as is: Simply a nice line drawing)

At this point I begin going over my drawing with my mechnical pencil, actually pressing into the paper and giving the lines some line value. These lines ARE NOT easy to erase, but since I have a good set of construction lines to work off of, I do not make many mistakes.

Because you're now using a lot of lead at this point, you want to consider how you're working. I am right handed, so for me, left to right, top to bottom means that I will be rubbing over my drawing with the back of my hand least. I use a very hard lead, 4H, but even this will start to smear if I drag my hand over it a couple hundred times. I plan how I'm going to work so that my drawing stays as clean as possible.

At this point, all the detail gets packed in here. I do my line value, clean-up, and light shading all at once and leave it be. This is once again, to keep the drawing as clean as possible.

What happens:
    As stated above, a lot happens as I begin to cover the drawing with detail, left to right, top to bottom. I work in small areas at a time, and "complete" them. Here's basically what happens.

1. I begin going over my drawing using thin and thick lines, pressing quite hard with my pencil. I use thick lines on things that are in the foreground. This is a great way to break out shapes. The lines taper.

2. I use thick lines on things that are in the foreground. This is a great way to break out shapes. The lines taper. Finish the lines.

3. Using my pencil, I do a series of light strokes to add just a tiny bit of shading to my drawing. Even a tiny bit of shading can make the linework pop! I add shadows to the folds making them seem more like a 3 dimensional object. Note that I do not smudge to shade. Smudging in this case is very bad. You should use your pencil only. A blending stub MAY be used, but if you want "Neon Lines" that's not how I work. I drag my pencil in the same direction using a series of thin hatching and crosshatching lines to fill in areas of shadow.

4. I finish up my light shading. Note that while I do shade, my pencil style is mostly about line and the quality of the line. I use the shading to support the linework. You can render a piece more fully then this. This is NOT a good example of light source and dynamic value. This is simply my technique. There's nothing wrong with shading more or less then you see here. This is just how I work personally.

Final Lines - Detail:
    I'm still working left to right, top to bottom. as I work, I put all the little details I want in my drawing in. Rips in feathers, indivisual scales, shadows, wrinkles, a shine in the glasses. What happens as far as details go is up to the artist. It should be noted that I try and put the majority of the emphasis on the shapes I created using construction lines. While I have detailed in individual feathers, they are put in very lightly so the detail does not overwhelm the drawing itself. The major shapes of the large feathers, the arm and the wing itself are given much darker, thicker lines.

More coming soon! Any questions or suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very solid very solid! I hope for the best in your future cause I can't get enough of dragons have a few in my sketchbook too. There something you can really fall in love with.

Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your line work is damn good! thanks for the clothing tip!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really great line drawings and some interesting creatures!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.