C.O.W. - #099: 99 years! - Voting!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your fav entry regarding the topic!

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ostrander

23 34.33%
  • fughi from yuggoth

1 1.49%
  • walnut

6 8.96%
  • Lander

3 4.48%
  • woo4

1 1.49%
  • Lord Edwin

4 5.97%
  • nrek

10 14.93%
  • Expose

1 1.49%
  • Thalion

8 11.94%
  • rubberman

0 0%
  • Mj0lnir

10 14.93%
  • Xol

0 0%
    Thanks

Cow C.O.W. - #099: 99 years! - Voting!

ROUND #099 VOTING

Topic: 99 years!

Deadline for the voting: Monday, 01st October 2007

Posting thread (closed):
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=106412

------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK - before voting/posting read this!!!

1. Please give c&c or a reason why you voted for the image!

2. Feel free to comment on any or all entries, the artists will appreciate it!

3. No voting for your own entry!!! If a participants votes for his own entry, every member has the right to call him a stupid lame moron in this thread! And i will delete his/her vote anyway...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    artist: Ostrander
    concept:
    Balinese Aracne pupae
    The Balinese Aracne pupae burrows into the ground after gorging itself on a high abundance of food before entering it's metamorphosis cycle of 99 years. Over the course of this time the creature develops and then emerges as a beautiful hunter which is ready to feed and attract a mate to begin the cycle all over again.
    Name:  ostrander_cow_99.jpg
Views: 3287
Size:  343.5 KB

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

artist: fughi from yuggoth
    concept:
    Methusalem Ape (Pongo Dumbledorus)
    Yo,this is the Methusalem Ape from the Highlands of Nepal.Known to public as the Mi-Go or the Yeti ,the Snow Human and Stuff.
    Actually nobody has made a real proof of the existence of the population,because they go public only every 99 years, when mating season takes place.Nature has got a sick sense of houmor (how to spell??),most of them do not even get this old and die before wedding time, so they become very few only.The second joke of Mother Nature is the strange behaviour in mating.The one with the longest beard will get all the girls.This was the reason for the scientists to name the girls and boys in relation to "Fresh Dumbledore", famous rapper from Harry Potter Universe, who has got a significant beard.They thought,that this was funny.Haha.

artist: walnut
    concept:
    Flysmith
    For ninety and nine years the wizard is granted the service of the flysmith, a lower demon of the Malebolge. It will perform every task demanded of it, no matter how debasing, dangerous or foul (the grosser the better in fact, but this as an aside) . But once midnight of the last day of the ninety and ninth year has passed, come hell or high water (pun intended) the flysmith will take the sorceror's soul down to the 8th circle to be its own minion. It is true that the pact can be broken until the very last minute, but most fall for the tricks and pretty promises the flysmith whispers in their ear.

artist: Lander
    concept:
    99:er
    The 99:ers are born in the trees hatched from eggs placed on the bark.
    They then grow for 99 years loosing one feather at each birthday. They reach adulthood as the last feather falls to the ground and they are from that point free to roam the land.

artist: woo4
    concept:
    Plopp
    This is the Plopp. During his 99 years of puberty the males of this species get a pimple in one year. They are very attractive for the females. Unfortunately some pimples dont stop growing and turn to tentacles. They are totaly useless and very unatractiv. So every year its a thrilling moment if its a pimple or turn it to a tentacle. Some of the creatures die by the mental pressure. This example is searching a place to die alone.

artist: Lord Edwin
    concept:
    Gnesaur
    The benign, gentle and long-lived Gnesaur begin life as larvae wurms in underground dens around the world of Meren. They thrive in all climates and conditions as symbiotes with the creatures around them, promoting bacterial growth on their skin on which many other insects and mammals depend for nutrient growth. In return, they deposit waste in the areas around the Gnesaur which fertilizes the flora eaten by the growing beast.
    For 99 years, a single Gnesaur grows slowly, always land-bound while it's body develops large airsacs at intervals along the length of it's body. During the ninety-ninth year, like clockwork, a Gnesaur's airsacs will seal and the great lungs of the beast will fill the sacs with enough air to raise the great wurm into the air. From that year on, for many hundreds of years, the Gnesaur floats about the world with birds and other avians in tow. They have even become accepting of humans as they hitch a ride for commercial leisure purposes, providing the Gnesaur with mobile plantations to feed on.

artist: nrek
    concept:
    Encephalopede
    The Encephalopede is a parasite that lives on the underside of the human brain for the first portion of its life. It will only reach maturity after 99 years within the host's body. As it grows the Encephalopede will feed on small amounts of brain matter for nourishment, this leads to memory loss and other neurological problems for the host. As the Encephalopede prepares to exit the host's body it begins to stretch and attach itself to the upper and lower portions of the brain, it comes to rest like a cap on the frontal lobe of the cerebral cortex. The host's brain has now become a part of the Encephalopede's body and will be its primary source of food for the duration of its life. Along the large stretches of the Encephalopede's body are small legs used for digging and general locomotion. It also has two large tnenticale like arms used to help pull itself from the ground once it emerges. If the host has not already died of natural causes by the time the Encephalopede has gotten into position, it will be killed by all of the brain trauma. Finally, using an internal acid in combination with its jaws the Encephalopede will eat away at the host’s skull so that it may exit the body and begin the second half of its life.

artist: Xpose
    concept:
    Jupiter's Walking Scoul
    This creature has life span of 100 years. On it's 99th year of being alive the female reproduces pushing the offspring out of it's reproduction sac. It feeds off of Mula the earths equivalent of Planctun.

artist: Thalion
    concept:
    Proavis Gigantis
    Proavis Gigantis, the last species of the legendary giant birds-predators, was a nightmare of the first human societies. These animals lived long time on the deserts of Australia but every 99 years they were migrating to the south areas of continent to lay eggs. Creature's diet were huge prehistoric mammals and sometimes plants but young birds where hunting for people, so the time when birds appeared near their settlements was kind of apocalypse for them. Finally our ancestors started to destroy the gigantic eggs and all population of Proavis Gigantis vanished.

artist: rubberman
    concept:

This creature lives under the ground for 99 years.
    And It comes out of the ground.
    The creature slips out of its skin.
    It flies free to the sky.

artist: Mj0lnir
    concept:

Creature lives in egg 99years. and it break out.
    It don't have sex. After 99years creature spit out egg.

artist: Xol
    concept:
    Trinian Karstvar
    After 99 long fire seasons as a plodding larval grazer, the Trinian Karstvar finally molts into its mature form for its first and only flight - fated to die shortly after mating.
    During its long larval phase, instinct drives it to consume significant amounts of the radioactive ores common on Trinius, which are refined (digested) and stored within its wildly complex lymphatic system. As the mature form emerges from the husk of its larval shell, the radioactive materials are flushed into the circulatory system and 'activated' by blood-borne enzymes to produce a hypnotic phosphorescent mating display - glowing from *under* the skin. It is this display which spells the creature's doom as its circulatory system does not have the same capacity to resist cell damage from radiation as its lymphatic, and it will die of massive radiation poisoning within a day of the molt.
    Sadly, due to their priceless ore-laden blood, the mature Karstvar is highly prized by poachers who will go to great lengths to draw the blood from a living specimen - usually by immobilising it first with a glue-net while still weak from the molt.

Last edited by Fozzybar; September 25th, 2007 at 04:44 AM.

Thanks
    not accepted entries:

All WIPs/sketches/not finished yet/placeholder/yaddayaddayadda images...AND (if not mentioned further) all entries which didn't pass the quality check

none

close to rejection:

none

special note:

none

Thanks
    my vote goes to Thalion
    Your creature is amazing!Imo it's the best one.Well done!

Thanks
    I am holding my vote until Ostrander's image appears. He tends to be quite good, you know.
    From the visible entries, my vote is probably going to Walnut.

Thanks
    I'm not sure why you can't see it Moai. I can see it. Is anyone else having this problem??
    Maybe Fozzy could attach it for me?

Thanks
    I can see it

.....and voted for you.

Thanks
    I don't know why I can't see it either. It's a blank spot in Firefox, and a red X in IE. I've reloaded this thread and the other thread several times, to no avail.
    Weird.

Thanks
    Oh man this sucks. I'm getting an image error too, not sure why.
    For those who can't see it, here is a link to it in my sketchbook.

Last edited by Ostrander; September 24th, 2007 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks
    Hi! I can see your image ostrander

nice creature!! love the colors

Thanks
    I also can see the image...any others who have problems to see Ostranders image?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Ostrander
    Your image is beautifully painted and is a very good concept but I don't think that the actual workings of the creature is very realistic. It's a quadruped yet it doesn't have front feet. I don't think that the hooks would give it enough support to hold it when not flying. That is unless it flaps it's wings constantly which I doubt. Also, the wings have no muscles working so they probably wouldn't be able to move... perhaps they are more decorative?

fughi from yuggoth
    I don't know how long you've been at this but you have a LOT of work. It doesn't seem like you understand the main properties of art at all really. The proportion and anatomy of the creature is way off and it doesn't have any sort of atmosphere. You really need to work on shading. Observe from life and draw how the light plays with things.

walnut

Cool concept and creature but the image looks unfinished. I like the lighting and composition.

Lander
    Kind of strange lighting and environment. Until I read your concept I thought they were underwater creatures like tadpoles.

woo4
    Cool concept but it looks unfinished and the lighting is wrong.

Lord Edwin
    Interesting concept...

nrek
    Friggin' awesome.

Xpose
    Interesting concept. Another one that needs more work with lighting and environment...

Thalion
    Amazing... I love the creature. What grabbed me the most is the environment. Beautiful...

rubberman
    Cool idea. Your image has sort of a comic book feel which is neat.

Mj0lnir
    Awesome shading. I thought it was a 3d image at first.

Xol
    Needs a lot of work. You should get some creature anatomy books to help.

So thats my .2 I liked the concepts by Ostrander, nrek, Thalion, and Mj0lnir the best. I don't know who to vote for...

Jake

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar View Post
    I also can see the image...any others who have problems to see Ostranders image?
    hey, Im on a MAC powerbook and I can not see that image, neither in firefox or in safari. but I caN See the link.voted mjolnir. cuz its nice.

Thanks
    i got longing separating inflammation (Sehnenscheidenentzündung)from drawing all the damned hairs on the fucking ape.
    I'm never gonna participate with any kind of creature having a fisting fur.

maybe never again,hate my results.

Thanks
    I can see it in the link, but still can't see it in your posts, Ostrander. Guess that goofy ol' internet is playing tricks on us again.

Thanks
    I cant see Ostanders image neither...
    Firefox is nothing, explorer is red x

Thanks
    Some comments. Busy as always so they won't be long.

Lander - Cute creatures and cute story. Love the way the sunrays make it's way throuh the leaves! Vote.
    nrek - Like your idea of the exhausted parasite. Great creature and colourization.
    Thalion - Beautiful.

Thanks
    ok, dunno what reason it was, but i attached Ostranders image and i hope everyone can see it now

Thanks
    okay. I voted for walnut because the pic is detailed and well enough executed plus a good concept for the creature is provided. Even thou it is more of a demon than a creature. Well, I guess it is just a demonic creature.

A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didn´t come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

Thanks
    I kind of fell for Ostrander's creature's design, so he got the vote

Thanks
    For me it was a hard decision between nrek and Ostrander. Both are looking great. At least i vote for Ostrander. Also i like the creature of rubberman very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    woo4
    Cool concept but it looks unfinished and the lighting is wrong.
    Jake
    I agree, next time i try to do it better.

Thanks
    Vote went for fughi from yuggoth.
    Definately best of the bunch!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin mayle View Post
    Vote went for fughi from yuggoth.
    Definately best of the bunch!
    asspat much?

My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpose View Post
    asspat much?
    missing sarcasm much?

Thanks
    shutting up much?

Thanks
    Jake kobrin: Thanks for the crit. I didn't like it much either, mo ha ha.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    My vote had to go to nrek for a really wonderful concept backed up by some excellent imagery. Also think ostrander's creature design is beautifully inventive, walnut and thalion have some great ideas going too. Very hard to choose... Great round!

Thanks
    Wow!! Thanks for all the comments and votes!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Congrats ostrander! Do you get to pick the next topic now? (COW 101?)
    Jake

Members who have read this thread: 1