View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

:// EddTQ's sketchLand!

Hello my name's Edd,
    I'm from Torquay (south west England)
    i've been searching around the forum for a while now, i just thought it's about time i set up my own sketchbook!
    I'm also looking to be mentored in the mentor section; so i'll swing across and post there once i've set this bit up!
    I'm 18 years old and an art student (national diploma) at exeter college.
    I'm looking to study BA illustration next year at uni or some sort of 3D games character design course.. i haven't decided yet

here are some drawings - (a bit old now)
    the first two are some inkworks and the last, a more recent, gunz online postcard i made for a college project.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's some cool stuff. The coolest thing though is that I looked at your Gunz postcard without reading your post and I totally thought of Gunz right away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahah thanks man! thats totally what i was going for

Here are some sketches from the last week or so, i've been watching alot of naruto anime and sketching along while i watch.
    i love rock lee lol

Last edited by EddTQ; October 2nd, 2007 at 07:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres some older ink drawings that i scanned today,
    i'm in the process of scanning bits of my sketchbook so i'll probably update some more tomorrow
    for now though, bedtime! huzzah!

ohyeah i messed VERY quickly with photoshop on the babyface-esque one!
    also if you look closely the cigarette guy is visible in the babyface guys' chest.. it was on the page after and my scanner picked it up hahah thin papers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey fellow englander, nice to see you got a SB up, digging the messy style, i believe it shows character and enjoyment. i can def see it going somewhere if you keep refining it.

i'm chugging along on a national diploma course too haha, 2nd year, downside is that its hardly about anything i'm interested in, but hey, gotta keep an open mind right, if you wanna stand out and be a good artist.

names Tony btw, how you doing?

keep drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by frogSweat View Post
    Hey fellow englander, nice to see you got a SB up, digging the messy style, i believe it shows character and enjoyment. i can def see it going somewhere if you keep refining it.

i'm chugging along on a national diploma course too haha, 2nd year, downside is that its hardly about anything i'm interested in, but hey, gotta keep an open mind right, if you wanna stand out and be a good artist.

names Tony btw, how you doing?

keep drawing!
    Hahah! Mad! - man first year was such a drag! - i managed to morph a portrait project into a "re-making a page of ashley wood's metal gear solid" final piece!
    apart from that though i left three full sketchbooks on the train and never saw them again!
    skipped completely the sculpture unit and still managed to pass everything!? its crazy man! - what projects have you done?
    have you started doing life drawing yet?
    the new first years at my college have started it already and we haven't done any at all!
    whereabouts in the uk are you based?

- update
    an old harry pottarrr doodle from my sketchbook (the colour scan on my scanner is really weak.. the colours come out crazy everytime!)
    Edit: heres a very quickly messed with version

Last edited by EddTQ; October 22nd, 2007 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah 1st year was a bit.. did it at a different college, started off good! since i knew alot of people from the 1st diploma i did there, made new friends, got a girlfriend, which was a huge mistake! didn't go well, let me tell ya! anyway, moved to KIAD/UCCA after that for my second year, with a friend who transfered before me, though somehow she got onto the course above me, slick bitch lol.
    3 full sketchbooks hu? damn, i'd be so gutted! maybe you'll find your pics on the net one day haha, i haven't been into uni for like a week, 'ill' you see.
    i'm down in kent, medway area, shithole, and noone on CA is anywhere near! haha.
    done a bit of life drawing, randomly, which is cool, dunno what we're ment to be doing now, last time we was making boxes. lol fun.

anyway, i like the pic, has a nice style, and certainly looks better than daniel whatever in the movies haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay i haven't updated in a while - here's a quick sketch i did yesterday that i've messed with a bit in photoshop,

Edit: i added a revised colour scheme (which is actually the first one) just to lag everyones net
    i just made the neck, face and hair colour a bit lighter, although now i think his nose is a bit too red? - oh whatever, i don't know why i worry so much about a quick sketch?

Last edited by EddTQ; November 5th, 2007 at 02:17 PM.
    "why do people with bad breath always want to tell you secrets?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some eden project work for college - not too happy with it really but it came out a lot better than the 2 minute, left hand and eyes closed study.. that was a nightmare!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

this is a quick WIP from today
    - all done with mouse as my tablet pen is broken

anyway i think the chin looks wonky and the hair to the left side is much bigger than the right side, making the left ear look a bit large other, other than that can you see any crits? i'd like to know what/how to improve before working back into it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some sketches from the past few weeks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahah no one looks at this but im gonna keep updating anyways
    got a wacom tablet today so here are some sketches from it

first two are done VERY quickly one with paint one with photoshop
    the last is done on artrage and took a bit longer... it has like 20 layers where i'd just start again by painting over everything hahah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some solid experimentation here an i like that your trying to improve speed. I think you actually have a bit of a strong style for such early work though, maybe a good thing, but perhaps try some nice studies to back up your experimentation. Does your college run any life drawing or similar classes? I'd like to see them more

By the way I too want to do BA illustration at Bristol next year, so drop me a line and keep in touch we could end up on the same course!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, interesting style you've got here, I hope you can post more often, seeing those gaps make me cringe. It wouldn't hurt to do some anatomy studies, some of the figures seem stiff, especially in the first picture of your last post.

Keep drawing. :D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like this one, the subtle color works really well with the line art.
    The pistols page from the sketchbook looks good too, I prefer it over the more scratchy-line ones.
    Maybe you should do some more drawings with foreshortening or do some perspective studies, I think those ones are your weakness right now.

Anyway, welcome to the SSG and keep up the great work !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with smartkyle, some life drawings would definately be a good thing. Those last three sketches look like you weren't motivated very much. You should try to put some more time into your sketches as they will probably come out better.

Last edited by breistift; January 6th, 2008 at 09:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would agree with those guys before. You should do more classic anatomy studies. Recently I had begun skull study, because I found out, that making simple "ball and jaw" outline for a head and face is not enought, even if I would stick to cartoony style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!
    sorry about the complete lack of replies and updates!
    i've just moved and its taking some time to get my computer/internet/scanner up and running! i'll have to do a major update soon!

i've taken all of your advice and start life drawing sessions this week
    i hope to be able to update very soon,
    sorry about the wait!

Last edited by EddTQ; January 22nd, 2008 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh-kay not a massive update but i managed to skiive of work in college today long enough to scan a few things from the sketchbook i had with me..

the first and second are some quick pen portraits, third is two very old drawings i liked at the time but after scanning ive decided they're pretty rubbishy and the last is a painting i did in artrage before the move

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone in the SSG is some how simultaneously disappearing lately.

It's good to hear that you are joining a life drawing session, mine was canceled because there's not enough people signing in for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    enrigo: - it's true, our SSG is a very quiet one
    That sucks about your life drawing class! i'd deffinately recomend trying to get on one - it is, apart from being constructive, actually quite fun!

Here's a quick thing i did in painter(30daytrial) for a college project, the light source is very much screwed up -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that life drawing class is the only one in town, or at least in walking distance. I should have recruit some of the art students at my school to sign up for it and I might have a better chance

Is that college project a work in progress ? I think it would look good with a bit further polishing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You show some good potential in Painter, But you fundamental Kung Fu needs work!

By the way can i get a look at your UWE project? I'm really sorry to hear you didn't get in ( did you really route B?).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say, that you have a sense of proportion, but you have problems with shapes. You have started too early with fancy style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by smartkyle View Post
    By the way can i get a look at your UWE project? I'm really sorry to hear you didn't get in ( did you really route B?).
    I second that, All UWE help would be greatly appreciated

as for your work i like the style here..awesome digital work here

i hav done near to nothing on the computer..its starting to worry me..lol

also what did you use for the 3 influences thing in your interview? and have applied route B as a second go?...i would love to be able to go to UWE knowing that most of the ppl ive met on here are going to be there aswell....waiting....

muchus love

Ballistics

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've taken photos of the portfolio i took with me too my UWE route A interview and here it is, for the guys who wanted an idea of what to take you should remember that i didn't get in through this interview and plan to update and change some of the work for my next interview!
    okay i'll do it in pages and links becuase it's quite a big upload!
    (sorry for the obvious camera phone photography)

Page One
    On this page i literally just put my name, course and course number. UWE said in one of their letters to put this information on the front of my portfolio and my teachers said that i could use up the whole first page with it becuase then if my influences work turned out bad there would be something better to show? so they don't loose interest Straight away!

Page Two
    This is my Influences work, i'm gonna re-do two of them and i don't mind posting them up but the one i'm gonna take with me again i'd rather not post publically! - if anyone really wants to see it you can PM me
    (these are scanned) (badly)
    My first influence was books, im gonna re-use that one!
    Second was Music
    Third was Art (sorry about the bad photo there..!)

Page Three
    This is a piece of work from a portrait project last year, i ended up re-illustrating a page from ashley wood's metal gear solid graphic novel! - this is also the piece i chose to ellaborate on in my interview (they asked us all to pick one piece and go through it with them?) (i took the sketchbook to the interview too)

Page Four and Five
    [Close up of Four] [Close up of Five]
    my life drawing work - i had actualy only started life drawing the week of my interview so these were from my first session...
    i also put in some smaller pieces on this page that i have taken out since
    [one] [two] [three] [Four]

Page Six and Seven
    [Close up of Six] [Close up of Seven]
    This is my photography work, page five was a portrait photography project and page six is a landscape photography project
    i went for the David Hockney "joiner" style for the portrait work! (yeah thats me at the beach..)

Page Eight and Nine
    [close up of Eight] [close up of Nine]
    Eight: more photography, this was a lenseless photography project so these are made using my pinhole camera! (a red bull can with a hole in it)
    Nine: This is some experimental screen print work, my teachers absolutely love this? (honestly not a clue why..!) (i took the sketcbook for this project too)

Page Ten and Eleven
    [Close up of Ten] [Close up of Eleven]
    Ten: this is some more print work for a different project on fruit (hooray ) - took the sketchbook for this too!
    Eleven: This is some more Fruit work but for a Digital image project, we had to make a poster for a exhibition on digital image/fruit..!

Page Twelve and Thirteen
    [close up of Twelve] [Close up of Thirteen]
    These are two "one day" projects that we did at college, basically we came in expecting to do coursework and our teachers make us do some sort of wierd project that we had no idea about? - The first one is on manipulating paper, the second on variations of the number 3!
    also here's also a close up of my favourite page from the number 3 work.

Page Fourteen and Fifteen
    [Close up of Fourteen] [Close up of Fifteen]
    Fourteen: these are pages lifted from my personal sketchbooks - i think they're pretty much all up on here anyway?
    Fifteen: This was a project set over the summer at college, we had to make postcards of the stuff we were doing over the summer and send them to college! - the things i did were
    1) Fell asleep thinking of postcard ideas
    2) Went quadbiking (and hit a tree)
    3) Watched liverpool beat derby 7-0
    4) played a LOT of gunz online (i think i posted this one here anyways)

Page sixteen
    this is pretty much where i put the essay they ask you to bring, my GCSE grades and stuff?

Bad_Ballistics: - yeah it would be pretty good if we could all get to UWE, it would be like a three year long CA Meet? haha
    hope this helps buddy!
    - what course are you on at the moment? ND? foundation? Alevel?
    i'll hopefully see you on interview day then?
    start a sketchbook

Smart_Kyle: haha thanks man! - i think i need to stop giggling in life drawing and get some work done! i will learn kung fu!!
    will you be at interview day too?
    hope this HUGE post helps somehow!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to EddTQ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for that, I'm putting my portfolio together in the next week and trying to think of ideas for the influences project...which I'm not doing so well on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    omg thank you so much for this

i have really started stressing about my portfolio...now i have something to kinda work against

thank you thank you tnak you

....also im currently studying A levels...so no foundation ...which im also worried may be a problem....i have such a mountain to climb

i am officially going to post something on here today sketchbook wise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just a brief note....

for my 3 influences i shall be doing...

1. Music- i play guitar in a band and love music overall, so this should be something thaht i could happily talk and portray.

2. my second shall be my nan, who passed away recently. which kinda got things in perspective for me..so thats a second big influence..(maybe a portrait?)

3. im still kinda wondering about.....in one of my projects at school i have done Banksy...which you may now that he comes from bristol..so it may be a good idea to do him and use the 'i love bristol..ive done banksy' vote...

or i could choose something else like ..everyday life..or human form maybe...which may be better for my drawing skills side...?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edd thanks so much! that post is the single most useful thing I've seen all week! Kudos to you!

time to get my head cranking on the brief then i guess

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.