Sketchbook: Jake needs to grow......artistically

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jake needs to grow......artistically

Hello, like most I've been inspired by the work here for quite some time...and its about time to dive in and get better myself.

I've been working in the games industry doing 3D art for several months now, but find that there is a greater passion in 2D art. I have a long ways to go, but at 21 I'm aware I have lots of time!

I'd looove any feedback on how to improve...I thought that instead of using the critique section, I should make a sketchbook since I should be updating often enough and am not ready to spend days on final works. Thanks!

I'm trying to work on a variety of things to help learn, and maybe figure out what I enjoy best...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jakers; February 21st, 2009 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Changing thread thumbnail
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Semi-recent stuff...

Last edited by Jakers; October 25th, 2007 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Altering first post

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude nice start on the sketch book, i think u might wanna studie lines and anatomy really helps!!!!

pld: NEED CRITIQUE! But BEWARE your Eyes might BLEED OUT of YOUR eye SOCKETS <---cause I really suck and haven't done shit pld:
    My Sketch Book!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will agree with Raistlin, nice start to your sketchbook. You have a nice grasp of the digi tool. I would like to see some drawings. Anatomy studies drawing from life would only improve your skills faster. I like bridgmen but there are lots of other anatomy books out there. I would like to see some anatomy studies for your next update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, cool stuff, really likes the guy in the lavastream. Would be nice to see some 3d art to.. keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea really good stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice man, nice sketchbook you got here. im taking yur advise for the forest piece, i've changed the path and more contrast in overall piece..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RaistlinTheDark Thanks for the welcome! I'm getting back into those types of studies as we speak...thanks

Darktwin Your definately correct on the anatomy stuff. I had 2 classes early in school - so its been a while....I have some decent resources and I'm taking your advice to make time for it again

crisis Thanks! I will update with a few of my characters next post

Cryoxzonomony Thanks, ill check out your stuff soon

Teh Gosu Glad to hear it, I really like how your piece turned out

I'm sure its a common problem...bad scanner! Here are the last couple pages in my book - I tend to go over my work with a thin, scratchy kind of pen to clean it up a bit...however all the pencil rendering on the creature didnt scan, so I did some quick recovery in PS

**Is there a type of scanner anyone would reccommend if I invest in one? One that is good at capturing broad tonal ranges?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very good stuff and welcome to CA

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start man, I think that you should start doing some bridgman studies. get his Constructive anatomy for the artist book it's the best one. It's only like four bucks on amazon. Also do some Michelangelo studies as well they help with your line quality and rendering. and thanks for stopping by my book.

New Sketchbook

Old Sketchbook

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." -Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OldNewbie Thanks for the welcome!

Unbreakable Good suggestions...I don't have a book by Bridgeman yet so I'll look into it for sure...seem to hear about his book the most around here.

Still interested in what you guys have/use for scanners! So let me know what works well for pencils etc etc.

I'd guess about 50% of the effort in the last few images wasn't even captured with the bad one I have to use

Here are a few pictures of 3D stuff...the 3 characters were made in school - you can see the construction and textures on my webpage if your interested
    http://www.jakecollinge.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow those characters are looking very nice!! Definitely game quality stuff, great textures. What are you planning your focus on 3d art or more 2d concept/illustration? You can do both even, but I believe you should focus on one and make that element of your art strong. You have the eye for both. But my opinion is you should focus on one.

About your drawings, you have the imagination to pull crazy cool ideas from your head, keep up the good work, with a few pages here and there of anatomy studies mix in your drawings will only get stronger. Very inspiring work all around. Keep up the hard work! and thanks for stepping in my book I'll be back here, thats for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, cool 3d stuff, and i really like your recent sketches but the anatomy seems a little off. But so is mine, it's hard as hell.. Is it easier working in 3d or why is that your main area?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good start, and thanks for leaving a comment in my sketchbook! the digital painting of the smoking girl is a nice concept, but i would suggest looking at/finding some more references for this. her legs look a little bit awkward...love the color scheme, though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn man! Those are some wicked character models!
    Cool paintings too. Nice rendering skills, but watch the anatomy and structural stuff. Keep posting! It'll be cool to see the new 3d stuff you post!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Darktwin Ah you are too kind. Thats a tough call for me right now...between the 3D/2D. I basically do 3D at work, and only 2D at home...

I find 2D more satisfying so far, 3D takes so many more hours and I enjoy designing more than executing I suppose. I will work out the path I want to take in the next couple years anf focus on either one I hope! Thanks, and ill be checking back with you since I can learn a thing or two im sure

crisis Thanks man, which anatomy was particularily off, the muscle study or all my other random stuff? I've just started more ref. practices so I hope ill improve soon. I learned 3D to get into gaming, but im thinking I would love to illustrate one day.

last1picked Thanks for returning comments Your right her legs are horrible...I started with some reference but changed the position of things, clearly for the worse

ChaoticKnight Thanks for stopping to comment. I have one 3D project thats been on the backburner for a few months now...just inspired by 2D more so who knows when ill finish more personal 3D!

The robot design isn't to my liking, but I think I'm improving in a few other areas. I'm planning an enviornment from that thumbnail, how does it look? Some building sketches for the future perhaps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried to make him feel as though he is going to start turning around...but something about the legs just feels off, maybe the front one? I also might just make a more dog like face instead...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Worked a little to improve a few things, some details and lighting fixes. I had used reference to help the muscle and leg structure a bit, but im not that happy with him...opinions?

Last edited by Jakers; October 13th, 2007 at 03:07 AM. Reason: re-wording

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey jakers, thanks for posting in my sb. the dog piece looks cool, i think his right (left in pic) leg is off. you made it to long. also, i think the lighting/rendering lacks a bit of consitency. i couldnt help myself and did a paintover to illustrate what i think is wrong with it. i dont want to say i would do it better, just some things to look after. hope you dont mind i like al the detail you put in his head and fur, very nice.. you just need a good strong light source to get some nice cast shadows and the piece will shine from all nice detail you put in.

good luck man

ps. i just saw jur portfolio site, nice models and textures, good job man

EDIT: i come back for the proportions of the body / legs. i did some research and discovered tons of dogs having long legs with small body (http://www.actorsnow.com.au/files/an..._left_side.jpg) so i'll come back to that. i erased it. i think your biggest problems were the front legs being to long and the distant between the legs being to near.

Last edited by JellevdVegt; October 13th, 2007 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Teh Gosu Its great you spent this time to show me what you were thinking!

I did intend to make the legs a bit longer, trying to make him even less normal than your average 'pet', but perhaps it just didnt work? Not sure on that...My lighting was supposed to come from behind and above (casing the shadow on the ground towards us) but I think the lighting angle you chose would be much better for the legs etc. Good points to concider though, thanks again for your time well spent

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Impressive stuff here man. It sure looks great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Teh Gosu Ah I see your edit. thanks for digging up a bit more research so we both know for future reference I do have a bit more lighting, and some bone structure to fix up...thanks very much for suggesting what you did

joaKimArt Thanks for stopping

I'snt much to post...I did a page of small thumbnails and picked out 3 to sketch today. Its pretty hard to do good lines digitaly with the control and thickness you want, compared to pencils. I did start some bridgeman and other studies in my sketchbook, but my scanner quality right now just isnt worth showing...

Any great costume resources people know of? I really need to broaden my collection of reference if I'm going to keep drawing characters

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice character design, and the guitar looks different in a good way. The silhouette exercises are very interesting.

where did you go to school at? UT2004... that sounds strangely like the assignment I'm about to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got nice stuff going on in this SB. The 3d stuff is really strong, and great textures by the way. Your designs are very unique and craaaaaaazy, which is a good thing

As mentioned before, doing anatomy studies would greatly help you out to give your designs more impact. If you have the chance, doing life drawings really do help as much as studies. It is a bitch, but very useful. With studies, a good thing to focus on is on the skeleton since that is the basis of the proportion of the body while muscles mainly define the surface.

For example in your last post, the forearm holding the sword on that first knight dude is too short. Also another important concept to remember is balance, like the way that guy is standing it makes more sense that his left leg is farther in the bg than the right. Just a couple of things, pretty sure doing Bridgeman studies will help you with that.

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah! Your creatures (3d) scare me, reminds me of Hellgate beta I'm playing right now, it's so scary to me I can't group by myself in dungeons sigh ~

anyway your figures seem to lack movement, like they are very angular and stiff even though they may be in a situation with movement ~ try working them out with short lines conveying movement of the whole body instead of going from one piece to another like legos

if you notice in a life drawing class if available (or checking out people standing) you see the movement of the whole body ~ once you have that maybe you can then put pieces lol... i dunno how far you wanna take that :] but is my 2 cents

oh yeah, they are called gestures! haha I couldn't think of what to call them...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    edit:

apparently i was so excited i posted twice ~ ><

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NightBlue Thanks for checking things out! I went to school at the Art Institute, we had a 6 month game mod project, and we used unreal because of the resources and tools they provide. Good experience!

Maestro Andres Nice comments, critiques and suggestions! You nailed a few things wrong with one character and raised some good points. I had 2 life drawing classes in school, and LOVED it, but that is a year ago now.

Thankfully, I am going to start one drop in class once a week starting this weekend, cant wait.

naomiful Haha im glad Hellgate is scary as intended...I've been into Team Fortress 2 (so entertaining) and the UT3 Beta. Ah gestures! I remember doing few of them in school I agree a lot though, my figures themselves are rather weak...wonderful points, thanks a lot for commenting...ill be returning the favour shortly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The quality of the sketchbook and 2 life drawings from the weekend is bad, because I had to use a camera! What a pain trying to correct it. I think the dog themed one has had enough time...didnt spend a ton but I'm moving on I improved the lighting a bit, details, and made his torso longer (thanks Teh Gosu).

Question - while doing the painting study of the woman, I found that all my color picking to check my color accuracy were failures almost

Colors side by side influence each other a lot (especially with changes in brightness etc etc.) and confuse your eye - so how can I train my eye to pick them out more accurately, just by painting from reference and checking my colors like I'm doing??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work on the figures and the canine-like creature came out great.

It is very hard to pick a color and even harder to mix a color that will represent exactly what we see. As long as you get it close and the tint, tone, and values are right, it won't be noticeable. Anyhow, artists usually change the colors and lighting of what they draw and paint. This is my opinion only, it doesn't reflect on anyone else's thoughts or opinions

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man thanks for dropping by my sketchbook.

You definatley have some serious potential with your strong 2d skills and 3d skills. Where did you study by the way?

Regarding the digi paints, I think you could improve alot if you studied the blending technquie. The Blending technquie basically is a digi painting technquie where you use soft and hard egdes to 'puch out'/define forms. I think this would really help you out.

yeah the last place I seen a blending technquie tutorial was on Hurricane's Sketchbook. Some where near the end (so you dont get lost in his labrynith of sb pages).

Keep rocking and good luck duuude!

C&C welcome
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=84532&page=10

'Iam what Iam' - Popeye The Sailor Man

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3