I'm dying here, does it exist?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I'm dying here, does it exist?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm dying here, does it exist?

Okay, I do a lot of drawings on bristol board which comes in 9"x12" pads as the smallest size.

Now... I would really like to buy myself a scanner, but seeing as how scanning these 9"x12" drawings would be its main function it would seem silly to drop all the extra money on the next step up... which seems to be in the 12"x28" range.... not to mention $1000+ (Seriously, WTF?) And the rest of the scanners I can find for a reasonable price are ALL A4 (8.5"x11.7").

See, I generally fancy myself "pretty darn good at the internet" but I'll be damned if I can't find ANYTHING that's a reasonable size. I'd be willing to go up to say a 11"x14", but that certainly doesn't exist either. At least I can't find it.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any manufacturer that makes bristol board pads in the A4 size. Besides, I like Canson's pads. (That'd be an easy fix)

So am I SOL or what?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Kamikazebob is offline [18:44] mr_pickles: Boob Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, you could do half and half on a smaller scanner and just put the two scanned halves together in PS or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggest getting yourself good digital camera and editing photos of your drawings in photoshop until they look acceptable to post.

Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unfortunately, there's a big price jump to a larger size of scanner. After photoshoping an entire book that was full of 10" x 20" line art I had to get something bigger. I got the Epson 10000 XL which works great, but it costs a bit.

Photoshop can work with masks and retouching. I did that for years too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's why I don't post much artwork here.

I normally do artwork that is pretty huge, however I have a crappy Digital Camera and a pretty decent scanner but is only A4 size as well.

I am going to do a sketchbook soon though because I've been drawing in an 8x12 sketchbook that I can finally scan in.

Most of my paintings and drawings are 2'x4' though so... le sigh. I tried just getting the best pictures I could with my camera but nobody would really crit on the posts because they said the image quality was too bad... that's life I suppose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    paper cutterhttp://www.abcoffice.com/armcut1.htm
    cut the entire pad down before you begin using it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Draw small?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    theres some 11x17 ones out there i think there was an a3 one that was not to much but i dont think it was that was great of one dont remeber the name but its been talked about in some of the other scaner threads

never updated sketchbook

hopefully weekly updated blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by joelhinxman View Post
    theres some 11x17 ones out there i think there was an a3 one that was not to much but i dont think it was that was great of one dont remeber the name but its been talked about in some of the other scaner threads
    Yeah, I'm sorry about starting another scanner thread.

I saw this A3 scanner for extremely cheap, unfortunately I have Vista and it isn't supported. ;(

Ehh... It looks like a3 size scanners I'm either taking a big risk going with some unknown manufacturer or paying a solid grand or two for one.

I might go with the Frankenstein thing... it's a tough call and a little annoying. Well, it's certainly cheaper and better than taking digital photographs. ;\ I guess I could always just scan it and leave it cropped. I'll probably hold out a week or two.

I'm just wondering why it became an industry standard to give users exactly normal letter size? So much for being a society of abundance, all the gigantic free refill fountain drinks don't make up for this atrocity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I had the Mustek 7 years ago. There's a reason it's cheap. I've heard of some artists using it for scanning line art. I tried to use it for my paintings and it looked like a bad digital camera photo.

No kidding, where's the priorities? Who needs Suvs and 2 gallon cokes, I want a scanner I can use for a tanning booth.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamikazebob View Post
    Well, you could do half and half on a smaller scanner and just put the two scanned halves together in PS or something.
    This is actually a snap in the newest versions of PS.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When I have A3 drawing, I usually scan it like Kamikazebob mentioned. Two halves separately and then put I them together in Photoshop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mine scans the ridiculous size of 8.5 x 11.69 wtf sort of size is that for fuck sake.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by young paddy1 View Post
    mine scans the ridiculous size of 8.5 x 11.69 wtf sort of size is that for fuck sake.
    Most scanners have those dimensions, so that they can accommodate both American and ISO paper formats.
    American letter = 8.5" x 11"
    ISO A4 = 210mm 297mm = 8.27" x 11.69"

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.