Education in comic book art

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Education in comic book art

I am a 16 year old student at a european art high school. It has always been my dream to work at a respected comic company in the states. Next year I will be in the senior class of my school and I think Its time to make my dream come true.
    Now since I'm european Ive had trouble collecting information about how to go overseas and study comic book art. Ofcourse I wouldn't dare ask any of you to do the work for me, but if someone had a similar experiance as me I figured this is the place to find him (since it's such a big community of artists).
    I kinda figured I need a greencard or something and thats only the start of it. My budget isn't that big so I wouldn't be able to afford a school to expensive.

If anyone has any useful info I would greatly apriciate It.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    The great thing about the comics industry is that there are no formal educational or degree requirements. The vast majority of people working have no formal training, or if they do it's a general art/illustration background, not comics specific. Also, because it's primarily a freelance business, there's no need to live in the same country as the publisher. So, your best and cheapest option is to get a good art education (formal or informal) in your home country.
    However, if you really want to study in the US, there are a few schools that have specific comics programs, and that you could get a student visa for. Savanna College of Art and Design (SCAD) in Georgia has a Sequential Art major, and the School of Visual Arts (SVA) in New York has a Cartooning major. Both are four-year, BFA programs, and expensive, especially for foreign students. There is also the Joe Kubert School in New Jersey, which is licensed as a trade school (no degree), so I'm not sure how things work for visas etc.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanks for your help, however I don't need colleges that are too expensive. Im looking for something acceptable In the Newyork area... I'm figured id study and draw as much as I can while looking for an editor at regular conventions and sending portfolios.
    I think that with some more practice I could really have what It takes to work at a decent comic company. Thats why I'm looking for some cheep education in Newyork to keep me on track and to learn s few new tricks while I'm looking for a job.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Check out the Illustration department at the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT). Because it's a state school, it's quite a bit cheaper than private art schools, and the illustration department has a lot of good people on staff.

Last edited by Elwell; September 25th, 2007 at 04:34 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanks for your help. The Fashion institute has a great program for illustration including a lot of sequential art chourses. I will take a good look and if any more questions pop up I will ask them here. Until then I am very greatfull.

Thanks

Illustration for Sequential Arts: Comic Books and Graphic Novels

May I suggest that you take a look at this 3 year diploma program offered by Max the Mutt Animation School in Toronto? Max the Mutt is known for the quality of drawing instruction. Our web site is: www.maxthemut.com. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Van Olson at admissions@ maxthemutt.com.

Thanks
    Ya that school seems incredible but Its kinda out of place... I mean Canada? I was thinking NYC. Otherwise I think the program would be brilliant. Couldnt find the tuition and fees though.

Thanks

Max the Mutt

We were founded by artists and animators with a mandate to be affordable. Our tuition is much lower than comparable programs in the US. Housing and living costs are also much more affordable than NYC. Contact Van Olson for exact info, but I believe tuition is about $9500 Canadian a year, possibly lower for the first year.

Toronto is now the most international city in North America. I was born and raised in NYC, and NY is a wonderful, stimulating place to be. However, I suggest that you short list us and take a look at what we have to offer. You have nothing to lose by investigating all the possibilities.

Members who have read this thread: 1