Some Science-Fiction Concepts

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey guys,

I'm new here so I thought I would post my work and take a look around. This place is really cool. Any constructive criticism is welcome.

Sunder Nanon Equipment Sheet

Collision Concerto

Battle with the Starstrider

A la Vitesse de la Lumiere

Consuming Force

Stairway to Heaven

Forest Cosm

Heir to the Galaxy

The Sunderan Core

Embaril City Concept (Old "A la Vitesse de la Lumiere")

The Trials

Order of Chaos

We Found Him by the River

Sunder: Land of Divide

Nestled Within:

Sunder Surface Equipment Sheet

From Whence it Came

Sunder Essen Equipment

Orphans of the Brink

Sunder Plasma Equipment

This is a concept I made combining the older version of the Novint Falcon controller with a traditional gamecube controller. I was not paid or asked to do it but I did end up getting contacted by Novint when they had happened to run across it online. The design team was impressed so I figured it was worth posting. Sorry it's not full res.

And lastly, I don't know if this is against the rules or not, a photo of me.

Thanks for looking.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, nice first post, but your illustrations have way too much white in them. That and you might have a bit too much texture detail corner to corner and it's killing your focal areas. The weapon designs look cool, but I'd suggest drawing them from different angles in addition to the profile views so that we can get an idea for what kind of shape they take in volume.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah your images are waaayy to high contrast and blown out. I read some of your Wii controller gameplay panels and they could you use some love. I had trouble finding the integration of what the controller would do as with your created weapon other then it just saying use this like a real gun,or use this like a real sword it honestly feels like an add on. You should look at some exhisting game guides for the wii becasue they are alot more simple in design and explanation they often use arrows to show the motion. Also your thrird image has alot of forground and perspective issues like the small guy to the right firing the lazer rifle. It looks as if he is behind the alien yet his lazer is hitting the creature from the front? also whats with the Darth Vader? I mean post him thats fine but I thought this was about " Sunder Land of the divide " then boom darth vader lol?

Last edited by Robert.B; September 22nd, 2007 at 05:17 AM.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello
    I enjoyed the "technical" illustrations. you put a lot of efforet on to them and it shows. The other illustrations are also excellent.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,671 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is a strange combination of highly polished and amateurish. The contrast between the first and second pieces is especially jarring. Overall, your relying far too heavily and dodging and smudging.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 5,159 Times in 1,706 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Why not post a pencil drawing so we can see what you can actually do? Let's see some faces and hands, lets see some poses. A little still-life drawing, perhaps?

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Papyrus: dont use it. Tacky, overused, hard to read, easily recognizable. Using papyrus warns everyone to watch out for amatuer content.

All in all the title/logo is hard to read.

What's with the ailiasing? or is it just the tiny brushes? I dunno, a lot of it looks grainy.

Seconded about the blinding use of white and oversaturated colours. Use white sparingly. People like seeing tone in things they know has tone. When you contrast it so much that there's large areas of white or black, we're getting an incomplete picture and it's not fun for our eyes.

Also, I'd say rely less on flat graphical objects to make up your guns and actually DRAW and PAINT them. Not only would they look more dimensional, it'll probably give you a better sense of how they actually look (and function) EDIT: some of the design concepts look downright broken as well. How would I hold the CTR? It has a trigger but no handle. The harvester and umbrin choord rifle have stocks so thick it looks impossible to pull the triger (or do anything except shoot it from the hip) The nts has no room for my fingers, and the longcaster and ppg suffer from aforementioned problems.

With everything in art, ESPECIALLY design of anysort, there has to be REASONS you make certain decisions. Don't just think that having a handle face the opposite direction is 'cool' think about how you would actually hold it. Would you be able to raise the gun to eye level, hold and aim it effectively etc. These are the questions you should be asking yourself when you look at each of these guns.

Last edited by Jason Rainville; September 23rd, 2007 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For some reason when i saw vader he seemed out of place? Is he in this game?
    Im looking at all this different concept stuff then hes placed smack in the center .
    Good start - i agree too much white not enough pencil skill work ( do you have a wacom? or are you making all these with the mouse?
    Oh and try not to repeat the logo constantly (unless its as a small watermark or something)

We Found Him by the River: I think i see a face but it so blurry it blended into the rock the 1st time i saw it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks fine... the two things are (for me of course) the plain of light and the human figure... more work will be better.

Nice colors, but a highly contrast may be good looking with less contrast in the same image, giving some point of attraction and storytelling in the images.

But taking away all this stuff... i looking foward for that game, the ideas and concepts well implemented will be a great xperience of game...

Hope this be useful and give you hints.

Good work, and keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

WTF!!!
    There is WAAAY too much bashing.
    I like the illustrations a lot.
    Some Critiques are very well placed and agreed
    while others are crude and unneccessary
    almost sound like jealousy
    I hate nickpicking, but I love Constructive criticism.
    Which one are you'll doing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamel View Post
    WTF!!!
    There is WAAAY too much bashing.
    I like the illustrations a lot.
    Some Critiques are very well placed and agreed
    while others are crude and unneccessary
    almost sound like jealousy
    I hate nickpicking, but I love Constructive criticism.
    Which one are you'll doing?

Jamel i just saw 2 of your other comments in some other forums,.. uhhh .. could you stop commenting in bold print its the same as cap locks which is overstating your opinion. You dont need to yell.....C A is place to grow were not bashing him were helping him. If any artsit wants random ass pats and shallow fanboy feedback they should seek out deviantart.com

Last edited by Robert.B; September 23rd, 2007 at 11:13 PM.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jamel, I've just gone over your posts. Before writing any more, I'd suggest doing a lot of lurking/reading in order to better understand the culture here. Otherwise, you're unlikely to last very long.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone. Thanks for your comments. I see what a lot of you are saying about using too much white. I don't know if this unintentionally comes from upping contrast or if I just tend to make overly bright pictures but I figure that perhaps this is maybe the one thing I might be able to get away with. I was hoping the brighter approach to sci-fi would come off as a trademark of my style.

However, there are probably times where I didn't want things to get so bright. For example my Stairway to Heaven picture. A lot of the reason that image became what it did, which was originally a much darker piece, is because I once again somehow used brighter and brighter colors as I went along until my original intent was lost. Luckily it worked especially well for that image.

Also a couple of you have pointed out that it would be nice of me to post some freehand pencil work among other things. I do tend to use a lot of layers and blending options with my weaponry etc, that I would rather be able to make freehand and from multiple angles. I have trouble making one drawing from multiple angles. My weaponry was criticized once as not being useful for using as reference in order to make 3d versions of them. That wasn't a valid argument really as the, for example, Shriken Longcaster Genesis in the Surface Weapons sheet was recreated in 3d studio max by a friend and pretty muched looked identical to the flat concept but in 3d. It was very proportioned. Though, admittedly, I would much rather practice more freehand weaponry and be able to produce something from multiple angles myself.

All of the weapons sheets and stuff are fairly old and I've been changing how I go about making my pictures and have been doing a lot of free hand work with my wacom tablet. However I find it hard keeping a steady hand and have to revert back to using a mouse and other methods to do more structured aspects of the paintings. I'm trying desperately to switch over to straight wacom/free hand images. You see how this could explain a balance problem in my images.

What was it someone said about papyrus?

Oh, and concerning Darth Vader: That was just something I felt like doing, it would of course have nothing to do with the game I was working on. Just to clear things up, the game is not something I actively work on any more - I've moved on to other projects that will hopefully be more fruitful.

As far as the functionality of the weaponry is concerned I had always hoped the little kinks in design would be changed/fixed later on in production by the modelers who are going to be fitting the models to the characters. I have a hard time visually imagining things and tend to see them more after I've already made them. Meaning most of this isn't planned work, I almost don't know what I've made until it's done. Sadly. Haha.

I've been watching speed painting videos on youtube of really great concept art for inspiration lately on methodology. I suppose I'll just practice more. If anyone else has any suggestions for me I'd love to hear them.

Edit: Oh and concerning the control methods listed in the sheets... This was before anyone had ever even used the Wii controller and nobody was sure how it would work. I just assumed that it was simply fluid and realistic in movement. It turns out to be a little more complicated than that.

Edit: And thanks for pointing that out in the Starstrider picture! That is indeed a serious flaw I feel stupid for not noticing, let alone making it in the first place. Some major perspective problems going on with the guy way in the back. I wish I would have seen that sooner.

Last edited by kentonbailey; September 25th, 2007 at 12:40 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by noshadowmaster View Post
    Jamel i just saw 2 of your other comments in some other forums,.. uhhh .. could you stop commenting in bold print its the same as cap locks which is overstating your opinion. You dont need to yell.....C A is place to grow were not bashing him were helping him. If any artsit wants random ass pats and shallow fanboy feedback they should seek out deviantart.com
    My first reaction was to get mad at you,
    but you're right.
    As for the way I bold print...
    To each it's own,that's my choice.
    Who are you to tell me how to write?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Jamel, I've just gone over your posts. Before writing any more, I'd suggest doing a lot of lurking/reading in order to better understand the culture here. Otherwise, you're unlikely to last very long.
    And your point is?
    Am I gonna die if I don't last long on this site?
    Culture don't make it right to be idiots,
    for those that were idiots.
    I'm not saying you're an idiot but,
    I don't like meaningless bashing,
    I like constructive criticism,
    And remember it is just you guys opinion,
    It is not written in stone facts,
    the way you'll feel about his art.
    I like his art.
    Bottom line.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jamel just because you like his art doesn't mean it can't be better. Maybe he wants you to love it, not just like it. Maybe he wants you to orgasm when you look at it.

Why do you write,
    in stanzas?

Anyway crits crits... I agree with what everyone else has said really, especially about the white, it's nearly lens-flare level aggressive. I also think maybe you need to cut down on the PS filters a little, because it's kinda hard to tell where you end and the filters begin. I really like alot of your weapon designs though, very slick.

I'm bad at sketchbooks, have a tumblr!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxinShocks View Post
    Jamel just because you like his art doesn't mean it can't be better. Maybe he wants you to love it, not just like it. Maybe he wants you to orgasm when you look at it.

Why do you write,
    in stanzas?

Anyway crits crits... I agree with what everyone else has said really, especially about the white, it's nearly lens-flare level aggressive. I also think maybe you need to cut down on the PS filters a little, because it's kinda hard to tell where you end and the filters begin. I really like alot of your weapon designs though, very slick.
    I agree with you.

But is this a Art Forum?
    Or a Writing Forum.
    Why is everybody so preoccupied with the way I write?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jamel, if several people tell you repeatedly that things work in a certain way, at some point you must start asking yourself whether there might be something to what those guys are saying. Especially if you're new at a place you should be sensitive about what people say about recommended conduct... In life just as in a web community.

Because of this:
    http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/ne...e.php#shouting

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyatt Thrash View Post
    Jamel, if several people tell you repeatedly that things work in a certain way, at some point you must start asking yourself whether there might be something to what those guys are saying. Especially if you're new at a place you should be sensitive about what people say about recommended conduct... In life just as in a web community.

Because of this:
    http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/ne...e.php#shouting

This is the way I write.
    If anybody don't like it....
    Well, SCREW THEM!!!
    Get over it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with you.

But is this a Art Forum?
    Or a Writing Forum.
    Because representational art, like written language, is a form of communication. People who are good at the first tend to also be good at the second, because they care (note proper use of bold type, for emphasis). And people who are sloppy and careless with language tend not to go far as artists either.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kentonbailey View Post
    Hi everyone. Thanks for your comments. I see what a lot of you are saying about using too much white. I don't know if this unintentionally comes from upping contrast or if I just tend to make overly bright pictures but I figure that perhaps this is maybe the one thing I might be able to get away with. I was hoping the brighter approach to sci-fi would come off as a trademark of my style.
    I see what you mean about having it more bright, but when people view bright white on a tonal pic two things happen: their sense of colour is bleached out and the rest of the coloured picture suffers, and when that much blank space is in a tonal pic it makes it seem like something is missing. My advice is keep it bright, but not white. Look at the ambient value ranges and colour and bring down the value/add saturation to areas you want to be lighter.

What was it someone said about papyrus?
    Papyrus is a typeface that is tacky, hard to read, and overused. It's best not to use it at all.

As far as the functionality of the weaponry is concerned I had always hoped the little kinks in design would be changed/fixed later on in production by the modelers who are going to be fitting the models to the characters. I have a hard time visually imagining things and tend to see them more after I've already made them. Meaning most of this isn't planned work, I almost don't know what I've made until it's done. Sadly. Haha.
    Well you can't just HOPE that the modler will fix your mistakes. You need to communicate how the weapons work to the moddler, as well as everyone else. I'd suggest doing some figure work, and try to make weapons for people and physically place it in their hands. This will probably give your weapons more merit since their functionality can be seen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Because representational art, like written language, is a form of communication. People who are good at the first tend to also be good at the second, because they care (note proper use of bold type, for emphasis). And people who are sloppy and careless with language tend not to go far as artists either.
    You're obviously wrong!!!
    But being you that you're stating YOU'RE OPINION
    and not just blatantly insulting me, I won't get ignorant.
    BTW...
    What makes you such a successs?
    And Me A Failure?
    I don't need Art as a living.
    I do it for fun.
    You guys take it Waaaaay too serious.
    Get a life.
    So either way,I don't care how far I go with art.
    It's an hobby.
    Not some craving fantasy.
    So you can continue obsessing yourself with Art.
    I'm gonna continue my posts,
    Written the way I like.
    And there's nothing you can do to stop me.
    So just get used to it!!!
    And that goes to all who have a problem with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're obviously wrong!!!
    But being you that you're stating YOU'RE OPINION
    and not just blatantly insulting me, I won't get ignorant.
    BTW...
    What makes you such a successs?
    And Me A Failure?
    I don't need Art as a living.
    I do it for fun.
    You guys take it Waaaaay too serious.
    Get a life.
    So either way,I don't care how far I go with art.
    It's an hobby.
    Not some craving fantasy.
    So you can continue obsessing yourself with Art.
    I'm gonna continue my posts,
    Written the way I like.
    And there's nothing you can do to stop me.
    So just get used to it!!!
    And that goes to all who have a problem with it.
    What the hell? what are you 15? The more you comment the more you contredict and over state yourself. your starting to sound like an angry fanboy.Stop playing comment tag on this guys forum and go draw. Oh and by the way your comments are adressed to a moderator aswell and he can do something about if he felt like sinking to your level.. so keep that in mind.

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just read through all of these, this is funny as hell. Too bad Jamel is banned, he was funny, in a pathetic way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally i vote we unban jamel, he makes me laugh. But its best to ignore him when he posts.

Because his stanzas
    they be pimpin
    you all be hatin
    Why you hatin?

Anyway getting back on topic.

I wont get on you too much about the technical issues with how you are rendering because it would just be an echo of above posts. Basically you are doing it wrong, and can improve. Too many non-unified colors, whites and blacks, and far too much shinydesu.

as for the designs themselves. Though your rendering of the weapons is great, and im a bit jelly of how clean they came out, the guns are not believable designs. I cannot tell for most of them how the soldier will hold them. Unless you have some kind of aliens with tentacle hands that wrap around the gun, there is no way a human could comfortably hold and fire these based on where you have the triggers. I also cannot see how they work. What you have is some slightly gun like shapes that tend to resemble some more famous weapon designs a bit too much minus the functionality(ie your SCAB gun has nearly the same silhouette as the needler from halo minus a handle). When doing ID work it is very important to pay attention to how they would work and be held. You havent quite done that at all. There is a merit in making things "awesome" but not when you abandon function.

-------

Blog

Sketch Book

New website coming soon!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.