Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Comic Book Work

Thanks

Comic Book Work

Okay my friend just had a little flip out because I posted this stuff in the Critique forum. The new rules/guidelines for this forum sort of scared me off. Been lurking for a while. I'm really inspired by the work I see you guys posting here.

These all have something wrong with them. Deadlines suck! So even though they are "done" I still see them as experiments and works in progress.

Comic Book Work

This is the cover for a book called "Killer of Demons". Sort of Shawn of The Dead but with Hell's minions instead of the living dead.

Comic Book Work

A splash page from that same book. This page had a few perspective issues. One of the most frustrating things in the world is seeing these mistakes but not having the time to correct them.

Comic Book Work

This was an ad for another book I've got coming out next month. The colors are by Lawrence Basso. I'm hoping to have some free time this year to start experimenting with color. I pretty much see the world like a dog -in shades of gray.

Comic Book Work

Cover for Atomic Robo #5.

Okay that's it. Just wanted to stop lurking and get involved.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The only issue I noticed right off hand was the horn placement on the first ink, I guess the assasination at the urinals one. The far horn seems higher and larger making it look like it's not even part of the same character.

The Atomic Robo piece is brilliant!

~Z~

Thanks
    damn straight I had a sissy-fit! Your stuff belongs in FF! Your line work is awesome, and its juicy stylish... 5 stars from moi.

Edit: you forgot to mention that these can be found at the better comic store in your area... *plug*

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourth Nail View Post
    The only issue I noticed right off hand was the horn placement on the first ink, I guess the assasination at the urinals one. The far horn seems higher and larger making it look like it's not even part of the same character.

The Atomic Robo piece is brilliant!

~Z~
    Yeah, the horn is all wonky. Didn't notice until I was done. Thank God the logo will cover most of it up.

Nic -I'll always be insecure about my work. And thanks for the plug! Atomic Robo is over at Red5 Comics and hits stores in October. KOD will be published by Viper Comics in early 2008.

Thanks
    I really love your stylization...it reminds me of Mingolia (sp?!) a bit. The guy did a really great job coloring you inks. I wonder, is this an online release or could I find it in a local shop?

Best of luck woth your own colored work. I would suggest buying a few color theory books if you have a lot of trouble with color, they may help a lot.

Thanks
    I agree about the horn, and I the the perspective of his face in general is odd. I love the colored poster, and I'd like to see more colored pieces. Your linework is nice, but the amount of line and the generally uniform width obscures the depth in the pieces, and makes all the objects run together a bit. The exception would be the first piece, which has a bit more variation in line width and the perspective of the urinal dividers which makes the image extend back into space more.

On the Atomic Robot piece, the bomb he is holding looks flat in comparison to the rest of the piece.

Thanks
    OH SWEET JEEBUS!

Ok I am gonna have to get Atomic Robo! Read the 5 page preview on Red 5 Comics, reminded me alot of Hellboy. Cant wait to see more!

Thanks
    Nice selection here...I like the A.R. cover a lot - very dynamic.

"I pretty much see the world like a dog -in shades of gray."
    Are you color-blind? Or just saying that you don't think about color much?

Thanks
    real nice work dude love the bog one keep us updated

Thanks
    I like it all-- the style makes me think of Ryan Ottley. I'd say play with your inks more; try using contrasting thicknesses to make certain elements pop out, or to show more depth.

Thanks
    want to have this atomic robo book! looks fantastic!! great style!

Thanks
    Well thanks so much guys.

Style/Influence: Hell yeah Mike Mignola, though less so than when I was a kid. I like his use of basic shapes, but there is more Ottley, Immonen, and Bellegarde in my work these days. Golden, Davis, and others as well. I taught myself to draw by copying Matsamune Shiro (Appleseed/Ghost In Shell).

Line Weights -I used to use some really heavy containment lines, but have been going thinner and thinner lately. If things are starting to look flat then I must be taking it too far.

Color -No, I'm not color blind. Just under-educated. I have several books on the subject. Just need to find the time to read them and start experimenting. Also for space reasons I want to do colors digitally -so not only do I need to learn the theory but I need to learn Painter or Photoshop etc. ;P

Atomic Robo

1. Yes you can buy it in stores, but because its small press you'll need to ask the comic shop to order it. Red5 Comics has all sort of links to on-line comic shops also. Robo was in the AUG and SEPT Previews magazine.

2. I wish people would stop with the HELLBOY comparison! LOL Superficially yes, but the tone of the book is totally different. Aside from the Mignola influence on my work there's little comparison. I think the fact that we did a pre-WWII story with some Nazis exasperates the situation. I have read a few reviews that compare it to Mignola's Screw-On Head. That is a comparison that I can agree with (and love to hear).

If you really want something to compare Robo with, its a lot like Indiana Jones, with a splash of Rocketeer and Iron Giant thrown in. Its just good old pulp action and atomic age sci-fi.

Thanks
    The linework is sweet. Clean and slightly stylised. Plus your spot shadows are solid.

Nice post.

my sketches here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92997

www.sevans.co.nz , for more images and to kill time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.