Sketchbook: getting started with digital drawing!

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

getting started with digital drawing!

Hi all!
    2 weeks ago i decided to start with drawing. i like it my whole life, but i never put a lot of effort or study in it, just sketching a little during classes.
    i started by just drawing a little without purpose, which gave me the sketches i attach to this post.( and a lot of other stuff at the same level and worse some of them are by reference, most of this post are from my mind.

i hope u guys can give me a lot of tips, since ive seen great artists on these forums, respect to all of you, i can only dream of becoming as good!

(deleted the drawings in this post because i want a chaqnging thumbnail in this first post)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ajvenema; February 26th, 2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: time for a new thumbnail:
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    after a week or so, i decided i didnt make a lot of progress, so i bought a book on modeldrawing.

feedback will really be apreciated, you cna learn me a lot of stuff!
    these are some results of my first little trip into modeldrawing:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    at this point i realized i didnt have coal and other materials then a pencil, while my modeldrawing book wanted me to practise with that. so i decided it was time to learn draw a decent head. ive been roaming around on these forums a lot in the past 2 weeks, so i decided to start with a book a lot of u guys seem to like: Loomis' How to draw the head and hands. it doesnt really show of yet i think, but im really learning a lot of it, this guy is a genius in my opinion im gonna focus on practising with this book until i can draw nice heads!

attaced to this post are some of my sketches based on the book:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    finally i found a scanner again, so heres some updates from what i made this week:
    still into the loomis book, and i feel like im getting the hang of drawing heads better! but i know im not there, so please critic me! give me some things to think about!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is some studies,
    i made some drawings of the muscles in the head, and of various parts of the head

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And some more:
    somehow my scanner scans too light, or i draw too light, cuz i was working on tones in this one, but now that effect is almost gone

can someone tell me btw how t o get a signature? for some reason i cant find that option

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pff, heads get boring after a while
    i felt like just drawing something else and came up with this:

btw, i know some people are looking, pls give me advice, i need it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    by the way, how do you guys get that dark lines?
    my pencil only gets the light grey lines u see in my drawings... which materials should i use to get a darker effecT?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and another head

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, thank you for posting in my thread. I thought I would stop by to visit your page as well. First, to get a signature, go to "User CP" which is toward the top on the left side of the screen. From there you should have an option to edit your signature. Second, many times I also find that my scanner doesn't pick up the pencil lines so well, so if that happens I normally try to adjust the contrast just a bit to darken those lines, but I try not to do it too much because I don't want to change the actual drawing. You may just need to adjust the settings of your scanner a little bit.

I am pretty new around here too, so I will keep checking back to see how you are doing and will offer any help that I can, although I am a beginner. I recommend that you continue studying those books because when you started with the figures, your drawings seemed much stronger. I think I need to check out some of those books too. Keep practicing. I would love to see more figures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    finally im back at my scanner, and ive got a lot of stuff to post here!
    first 2 drawings i made a week ago, one of them u'll recognize i hope

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A guy i met at my job gave me the advice of making 4 5 minute drawings of a picture, and after that make one that u put more effort in... i tried it, and i think it kinda helped me to better understand it, and draw it nicer. I wont bother u with all 5 drawings, but here are some outcomes:
    1 from james bond, pulp fiction, scarface and pirates of the carribean these are all 10 minute sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thx for stopping by at my sketchbook!
    First what I would like to say is: Thats the spirit!

Im really terrible at crits but Ill try to say sentence of two
    First of all dont be afraid to push up contrast a bit...so the drawings dont looks so pale...tough I might be wrong, it might be the issue of your scanner. But still vary the line weight and deeper contrast in order to make your drawings more interesting.
    Also noticed you use Loomis books for references which is good, stick to if for a while. Watch out for proportions. Your heads are often too big and body a bit stubby.
    And one last thing dont smudge the pencil with your fingers to make shadows! Use only the pencil for that. You can check some books about rendering with pencil. They help alot!

Its great that you are really into it! Just draw...!
    You are on the right track!

...soon you will see some serious improvements, trust me!

~B. Klarić
    ---SSG#46---
    Blaz ł MarkWinters ł petitemistressł sfa ł Shmaba
    -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for your encouraging reply blaz
    do u know a book u would reccomend me about shading? i looked a bit around for one, and didnt see one that i liked yet...

here im gonna post some women heads from magazines, and some sketches from imagination i made last week, theyre not all that amazing, but hey, if i wanna learn, what use is it to only post the sketches i like?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and here's the last bunch of sketches i did last week... same story as my last post
    from now on i want to get into the practicing heads thing again, im too much distracted from it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya ajvenema, thanks for dropping by my sketchbook! I really like Loomis too, because it's easy for a beginner to get the hang of his stuff, and if you take the time to read his foreword and stuff, I think that is the best about about Loomis' books; that he is very encouraging.

Before you get started on heads and faces though, maybe you want to work on the human body first. Try and see if you can find the Figure Drawing for all it's Worth book, again from Loomis. If you don't have it, I can give it to you via yousendit.com or something. Just let me know how you prefer it done.

There are many ways to approach learning to draw, although all will include life drawings at some point or the other, and of course, lots and lots of practice. What I think you need now is more drawings from life. Just try putting some sort of everyday objects on a table and keep on drawing that. You probably need to develop your sense of observation more.

If you want to draw human figures as well, you need to get your proportions right. I don't know if my approach will work the same for you, but when I was starting out, I drew a lot of mannequins with the ideal proportions, until it gets fixed into my mind. And I used a ruler lol. I measure out a length, usually a number easily divisible by 8, and drew lots and lots of front, side and back views of both male and female mannequins. When I can draw mannequins consisitently without having to to refer to Loomis' Figure Drawing book, I worked on memorizing the skeleton structure, and then the muscles. Somewhere along the line, I lost the ruler lol. I think you can see some of my efforts in my sketchbook.

Well, don't want to overload you at the moment, but if you're learning by yourself without the benefit of a teacher, you should try and be more structured in your approach to learning. Fix a goal in your mind, and work towards that. And of course, practice, practice practice, and lots of drawings from life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was also going to say that lots of practice and drawing from life will make for visible improvements. If you do not feel comfortable drawing people and things you see out in the world yet, then maybe you can try your family members, or even pile some household stuff together and make a still life. About half a year ago I drew a potato, an onion, and several dried chili peppers laying on a mirror and I had a lot of fun and learned some stuff.

Besides contrast, I find with pencil drawings that if I click on the "brighter/darker" button of my scanner program and it pops up with a slider bar saying my drawing is currently at 50% I can then slide that bar down to something more like 40% and it makes an image that looks closer to how my drawing looks to my eyes. If you got it too dark then go for edit/undo and try again.

Now, about specifics: When you posted the James Bond and Pulp Fiction series it looked like the guys had eyes above the center lines of their heads. I'm pretty sure you have seen in Loomis that people who are looking straight at you have an eye line in the center of their head. This may be why the women who are looking straight at us in your post number 14 seem to have their eyes much closer to the right place. You are getting better. Unfortunately, the women who are looking down now have their eyes too high. When people rotate their heads down to look at the floor, their eyes follow along. The line of the eyes will then appear to be below the halfway point of the head. The nose and mouth also rotate downward proportionally. If you have a mannequin or action figure around the house that will let you move it's head around, then you can see what I mean and draw a real world object at the same time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    both tanks for the replies guys!
    i got some valuable information from it! couchpotato, i got the book already, didnt read it yet, but its here

and arttorney, u are so right about the heads!

i didnt post anything for a long time now, its because im busy drawing and lacking a scanner, i made loads of stuff, and i even think i improved a little ill get some more on soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    finally some new stuff again

all those are drawn from imagination, reffed stuff will show up later today

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and a few head sketchings...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello people!
    its been a long time i did a serious sketch dump here, but finally some time again to scan!
    i skipped a whole sketchbook and just went to the stuff i made this week. here come the first few: mostly from reference. tell me what i need to work on!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you have made some interesting expressive marks that read as folds in clothing. If you want to get very very good at drawing clothing folds, drape a sheet over something like a chair, with a light off to one side. Draw the lights and darks of the sheet folds for practice. Believe it or not, I just got a cloth study like that into a gallery show. It's not just a waste of time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're off to a great start.

I'd say work on the placement of certain elements--like, in the fourth portrait on your latest post, everything is very slightly tilted in different ways, the face is tilted like this: \ and the eyes are tilted like this: / I hope that makes sense . . .

It's very slight, but the combination of the two makes it look a bit off, so work on keeping everything nice and even in your portraits. (I have a lot of trouble with this too, so don't worry. )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thankss for the advice arttorney, definitely an idea i should do something with soon!
    heres, another update, also stuff i made this week. Enjoy! ( i hope)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you're off to a good start, I can see improvement even in the short time you've started this sketchbook. Good job! I don't know if I have much advice for you. The rhinoceros you drew is looking alive, and the skateboard sketches have a lot of life to them too.

Keep working on proportions and shading and be proud of your progress

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks dude, nice that u say that... its a bit hard to see ur own progress i think, i keep looking at the mistakes
    heres another few from last week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and two more (kinda crappy) charcoal things!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    next some hand studying ive been doing yesterday, and today i tried a bit watercolor... auch! the result is also down here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and another update! guess what movie this is based on\

and please feel free to give crits! i know its not perfect yet, so dont hestitate telling me why it isnt!

Last edited by ajvenema; November 5th, 2007 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    last one for today: an environment

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1