Spartan Training Camp #12 - 50 gestures + Optional Hip Bone Study
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Spartan Training Camp #12 - 50 gestures + Optional Hip Bone Study

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 23rd of September.

The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, zombies, hobos skateboarding....and can be in any media, digi or traditional is fine.

In addition to this, participants can choose to do a study or studies of a human hip bone (pelvis) in any media. Black and White or Colour is fine.

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

PS...critting each other is highly encouraged!! Let's help each other get better!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #11

Jens
    Metal-Mike
    Anthis

*Tres Cute Sketch Group*
    ---no added monosodiumglutamate!!!---

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Aardvarkphil is offline Stepping into the darkness and finding the next step isn't there Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can anyone join? I'm afraid I'm not very good at quick poses or gestures and I don't want to spoil the look of your thread. But if it's ok, maybe this is just what I need to get my gesture and quick poses on the way to being sorted. Phil

Last edited by Aardvarkphil; September 22nd, 2007 at 11:17 AM.
    Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude! don't worry about any of that. these practices are about getting a good feeling for poses and gestures and proportions. don't worry about details or how your stuff looks. were all here to learn. i'll post min later. still need to scan them. check my sketchbook for some examples i posted in the past.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Aardvarkphil; Improving is our goal, so don't hesitate to join in. Just a matter of practice. Cya next round! Or this one, if you can make it

Will crit later on.

Here's 50 and a hip. Having huge problems with the pelvic area.. gonna need more practice here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i'm late as usual. thought i'd post them anyway so your not alone Anthis :d
    Love your gestures. I have loads of problems with the lover body portion too. specially the legs. sucks man.

anyhow. these are all from imagination. no ref used once so ever except for the optional study, just like promised

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good works, everyone.
    Here's my 55 gestures from Posemanic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tmyohlaing - i really like your gestures. nice and simple. good actions in them. love your style.

Aardvarkphil is offline Stepping into the darkness and finding the next step isn't there Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys I hope I'm not to late. Here's my 50 from posemanics. They took me ages, about 6 hours, but I think I learned a thing or two doing them. Sorry no hip ref it's 10pm Sunday and I don't think I could do it justice in 2 hours. It still takes me ages to do anything. By the way all your gestures are awesome. Soon hopefully mine will be. Iwill be back next week and I'll do the ref this time too.
    Name:  spartan12a.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  57.2 KB
    Name:  spartan12b.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  59.0 KB
    Name:  spartan12c.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  66.9 KB
    Name:  spartan12d.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  64.4 KB
    Name:  spartan12e.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  55.8 KB
    Name:  spartan12f.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  57.7 KB
    Name:  spartan12g.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  48.6 KB
    Name:  spartan12h.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  57.1 KB
    Name:  spartan12I.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  64.9 KB

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aardvarkphil - nice of you to join us. not bad first time. try dividing things into groups of large shapes to establish proportions and form and then add details.

keep going. Practice makes it perfect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought I'd give this a go even though I only saw it yesterday. 50 gestures, all from imagination except the last page. (excuse the smudging due to pencil transfer.)
    -Crit attempts-
    Anthis- Nice! Very clean and precise. The only crit I can give is that they are almost all fairly reserved poses, maybe try a few more extremes? Maybe not quite action poses, but pushed a little further.

MeTaL-Mike- Watch out on those heads, you almost always put the same features in the same place. (not that I don't do the same thing) Try and mix it up a bit.

tmyohlaing- Overall pretty nice! Lots of motion. Your proportions are off in a few places, but it's generally good.

Aardvarkphil- Well, basically what MeTaL-Mike said. One thing that I did notice from beginning to end was how much cleaner your lines got. Nice job on that!

Me- Ugh. Messy messy. Proportions are off a lot, but beyond that I should work more on dividing the body into muscle groups.

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of participants this week, yay.
    Even I've done my part.

Some 45sec from PM, then just the four from head, and finished off with one PM pose rotated.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cup of Joe - thanks for the crit. i know what you mean. still loads of issues with heads and features. will work on that. nice studies btw

HunterKiller - Yeah finally. i was afraid that this will die out. great studies man. 45seconds each? wow dude, your fast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cup Of joe good job don't look too messy to me

HunterKiller damn that is fast, hell they look good too. Some of mine took ten minutes and they don't look as dynamic as yours. Guess it's just a matter of practice!

See you all same place next week!

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MeTaL-Mike: Thanks, man. Appreciate it.

Aardvarkphil: It's just a matter of practice indeed.
    Buy yourself a cheap A3 pad. Time it to one minute per pose and fill a couple of pages a day - this will only take you less time than it takes to eat your breakfast, but the improvements will show.
    I've been doing this on and off for a couple of months, since I discovered Pose Maniacs, and so far, I've filled about a whole A3 pad with just these quick gestures. Going back to the first page, I can definitely see improvement.
    Just be dedicated to your craft and embrace it with all your love (that's the excuse I've been using for not having a gf. HA!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HunterKiller_ - hahahah i know what you mean man (the gf part)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds like a damn fine idea HunterKiller. Off to buy A3 pad during lunch break. If you have the time could you show me how you approach your gesture drawings. Kind of a line buy line approach. I think this might help me too. I still seem to be a bit random as to where I start. Feel free to respond in my sketchbook. Cheers Phil.

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Whew, I almost lost hope when I checked last time, but loads of participants now. Good stuff!

MeTaL-Mike; Haha, lower body indeed. Like the diversity alot. Some of the poses in the middle seem a little stiff and thin at times, but the ones later on look good. Your stuff looks different from the last times (like, bit messier, less ordinary poses), first time not using ref?
    tmyohlaing; Nice and fluent gestures. Aren't you running out of posemaniac ref though? Even though your rotating. Might be best to change ref anyways, posemaniac isn't completely accurate, and has a 'style' on its own I think.
    Aardvarkphil; Wow, nice you actually made it. I'd advice you to spread out over a couple days though ^^. Might be good to do a couple of longer studies too, to understand how things are shaped. See you next week! this is good practice, you'll improve for sure.
    Cup of Joe; Thanks. I probably should be practicing more loose and extreme poses, but I keep falling back to focusing on the proportions and stuff. I think yours are lacking just a little shape every now and then. Some look like they're made out of 'one piece', like fish and such. Perhaps its because the necks are a little short?
    HunterKiller_; Haven't tried it, but 45secs seems short. The poses look pretty good. I noticed you're using a line between the shoulders, and one from the neck downwards. Seems like a good help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvarkphil View Post
    If you have the time could you show me how you approach your gesture drawings. Kind of a line buy line approach. I think this might help me too. I still seem to be a bit random as to where I start. Feel free to respond in my sketchbook. Cheers Phil.
    I'm no expert, and I wouldn't want to put you on the wrong path, so I suggest you have a look at the works of Glen Vilppu and George Bridgman. Both draw beautiful gestures.

Although, since you asked, and I can never refuse another artists' ask for assistance, I'll show you a simple step-by-step of how I do it. I will post this in the next round of Spartan Training Camp, so be there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers HunterKiller that would be most appreciated. See you in Camp #13.

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anthis - Yeah indeed man. no ref's used at all in this one and planning to do thta as much as possible in the future. i did find that it's freakin more difficult to come up with gestures then i though.

Hunterkiller - Can't wait to see your step -by - step man. looking forward to it. see if i can pick something up as well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is someone else gonna pick up the reins and thrash this beast into life if Cwm Annwn isn't around? Hut hut hut!

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't know man. he's been kind of late setting up the threads lately. probably super busy of something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought Cwn Annwn was a lady. Ok lets wait a bit, I'm pretty busy this week anyway. What with work, assignments from Mentor and my evening classes. No rest for wicked. I'll keep doing my 30s posemaniacs and see if that improves me.

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ugh, my apologies again troops. I've been crazily busy the last two weeks and completely forgot about the deadline in the middle of work and a do-it-yourself spate of house renovations.

Anyhow, phase one of ripping the house apart is over, so I'm back and the new topic is up! sorry again for holding you guys up, anyone who made an effort this time has made it into the list. Hope to see you guys there!

*Tres Cute Sketch Group*
    ---no added monosodiumglutamate!!!---

Members who have read this thread: 2