IDW #44: Galaxy Grand Prix - Voting!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW!

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • ScaryPotato

1 3.70%
  • invinciblewombat

4 14.81%
  • Legato

1 3.70%
  • D-Holme

3 11.11%
  • fughi from yuggoth

0 0%
  • daveneale

0 0%
  • Adi.

15 55.56%
  • Jorge Gecov

2 7.41%
  • KuJo

1 3.70%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #44: Galaxy Grand Prix - Voting!

IDW #44 Topic: Galaxy Grand Prix (or Galaxy Grand Prize )

Deadline for voting: Sunday, September 23 2007

No voting for your own entries!

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #44: Galaxy Grand Prix

Last edited by yoitisi; September 15th, 2007 at 07:04 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artist: ScaryPotato

Espertian Voyager
    From the small ocean planet of Espertia, the Espertian Voyager and its crew of two have entered the Galaxy Grand Prize since its inception. Although the ship has never won the race, the Espertians take honour and pride knowing that their isolated world can unite and cheer for one cause.

Artist: invinciblewombat

HRM 7113
    The Canadian Protectorate Systems' entry into the Galaxy Grand Prize race is an experimental state funded craft, designation HRM 7113. Although it may not appear as sleek or sporty as some private craft in the race it more than makes up for it with the best hardware available to the resources of its government.

Artist: Legato

Artist: D-Holme

Artist: fughi from yuggoth

Now, look my Boy! Up there, that's where your Grand Uncle comes down from hyperspace.
    He made the hole way from Europa out of Saturn's shadow to the good old Earth in just 25 days.
    When I was young, we needed 25 Years for the distance... I cannot really believe that the science became so fast, but who could knew what the radiation out there made out of us.
    My brother and everybody out there next to the Gas Giant became like hyper-intelligent, they even want to start that old idea of a grand prix again. I think it is kind of senseless, but it is better than slave humankind on the earth for entertainment, and i believe ,they could do that, if they want to.
    so better be gentle to your grand Uncle, my son!

Artist: daveneale

Count Von Finchenstein, the eccentric poultry baron, inherited the exclusive rights to own, breed and distribute clucks in all the known universe from his forefathers, who had fought for decades in a bloody underworld battle to claim this lucrative niche in the intergalactic market-after it was decided by the powers that be to allow only one market player in each sector of production. With the bloody war of Eg over, and with little else to amuse himself, the eccentric Count spends his days fulfilling a boyhood dream-racing galaxy grand prix ships.

Artist: Adi.

Artist: Jorge Gecov

Artist: KuJo

Lt. Colonel Viktor Demetrov of the Luna NeoSoviet State couldn't help but pay homage to antiquity when he named the Sputnik 42; the last of the former USSR's probes had flown in centuries past around Terra, captivating the entire planet during the 20th century moonrace. How fitting that the new motherland is the moon these days, terraformed into an eden.

Sputnik 42 is built around the chassis of a now ancient Vladimir Alpha-Mig Combat Suit from the first Luna Revolution, where it became legendary-the hammer and sickle of the NeoSoviet state- the epitome of technology in bipedal warfare. It was the hope that one could be removed from the Luna Prime Historical Museum and serve in some way to inspire the state's next Grand Prix ship, but noone ever expected that the Lt. Colonel would ever want to actually useit.

And so, Sputnik 42's extremities are heavily modified / replaced, as can be seen in the EVA accessible supply bays where the forearms / hands once were. The legs are completely removed, as well as the entire primary drive system in place of flight surfaces and thrusters. The entire reactor system had to be gutted, but was replaced with a Microburst Quantum Core from a Yuri-class star frigate.

The back however, is where the Sputnik 42 really shines. Outfitted with the largest Nova-III class booster system the chassis could accomidate on its back, its top speed rivals even the most modern racing ships. Two racks of Sepa-Fuel spheres can be jettisoned as the outer-most sphere is exhausted from the chain. And boy do the Nova-III's love to eat Sepa-fuel...

The almost tragically outdated manuvering verniers throughout the body were returned to the museum in place of modern controlpods, and a new nav system was put into the head so Viktor wouldn't have to worry (as much) about inadvertently veering out of the system during the many burns he'll have to make during the race.

Still, the Alpha-Migs were never meant to fly, but rather just fall with a bit of grace during high-orbit deployments. Never has one been used for such a purpose, let alone been subjected to the incredible stresses modern power systems can produce. And if that weren't bad enough, race officials consider the notion of stepping outside a craft to retrieve supplies an act of insanity, especially in a craft built around a several hundred year old robot. Still, despite the odds, Viktor hopes to bring the state pride by being the first to win the Grand Prix in the once again beating heart of an Alpha-Mig; once again all eyes will be on Sputnik.

Last edited by yoitisi; September 17th, 2007 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not everyone in this round was taken to the poll and on some I commented already, but here are some additional notes on this round:

Fughi from yuggoth: I took yours to poll because I could see you put in the effort, but it was a close call. Sideviews are generally not the interesting way to show a concept because if not handled well it all appears to be flat.

Jorge Gecov: First, your image doesn't seem to show properly, I think because of the 20% things in the link. If you sent me a link without them via pm I'll change it for you. Secondly though, you have in a way the same problem as fughi from yuggoth: your sideview looks cool but it is hard to make out the details.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Adi: It's my favourite render-I'm not too sure bout your colour choices but the design is sweet.

Scary potato: A close second for me....love the design (esp the little ruddery legs things at the bottom), and you have some nice textures going on.
    The lighting is cool but I think it could have been pushed even further for dramatic effect. Good stuff

invinciblewombat: cool design and my favourite in terms of colours and presentation-probably could have got my vote if the render was a bit tighter..not that I can say much about that as I was far from having a solid render myself

Legato: there are some really beautiful parts to yours (the back lights and the middle section really do it for me, I think it would have been nice to pay a little more attention to the front section-as this is where the viewers focus is, or alternatively the front could have been put into more shadow (the light source seems a little confusing as the back is lit by the engine glow, but the front is also very light-although some of the side shadows suggest there isn’t a bright light-source out front)

D-Holme: I like the overall design, but the colours of the ship and the background merge together too much

fughi from yuggoth: very retro!-I like the front bit-kinda looks like a skull

KuJo: It’s a cool design but I think the black lines detract from the design-would have been nice to see the planes and forms defined through light and shadow on this one.

Me: I shoulda made the star/light source thing brighter...and actually got round to rendering it-I swear they’re aren’t enough hours in the day!!...we need rearrange things to men in black time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to Adi - your designs from your initial sketches looked awesome, and your final work is rendered so well I want to kind of make out with my screen (just a little). Kudos

Scary potato: The coloration and detail look wonderful - I like seeing the mechanisms beneath the retracting wings as much as I like the somewhat worn look to the chassis.. I would have loved to have seen some sort of venting though from the engine

invinciblewombat: The design rocks on this one - it just looks like it was meant for speed, and I dig the whole representation of a neo-country (lol I went for the same thing) .. I just had to hand the vote to Adi, because of his level of rendering.

Legato: The contrast and coloration are really vibrant it stands out a lot in the work - the design though feels straight out of a 2001 space oddessy movie, and by that I mean it looks more suited to some sort of space research / transport vessel than an actual racer..

D-Holme: The design and coloration are great, but it feels as if the bottom portion of the ship gets almost lost in the background, but even still the background is beautiful - its nice to see the time taken to properly place the design into a proper scene

fughi from yuggoth: This could be one of those mothership bosses from an 1980's sideshooter, definately like how well it pulls off that style; just wish I could have seen it from a view other than just directly on the side.

Daveneale: I like this a lot -your work looks so whimsicle (sp?) and almost happy - it almost seems to touch upon the machines you'd find in the world of Dr. Sues (again, sp?) I don't think it needs to be in color at all, but I do wonder how it moves around.

Me: What can I say... it was rushed work and it shows... I definately intend to actually turn this into a drawing without the sketchy black lines just for my own urges - right now it looks very cartoony. No excuses here, I just wanted to draw something for this contest

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ScaryPotato

i loved seeing this one come along, and i really really like the slave 1-esque design what with the whole upside down aspect. the little collapsable (?) wings on the side, and the engine stuff that is exposed is a great touch. the concept is sound, even if it is a tad on the small side. as for the render, the bottom has great depth, but it seems to get flatter towards the top, and the rear engine area doesn't mesh well with the really high quality fleshed out forward part. also, while i too almost left out engine trails in place of just lighting up my craft, this picture has no indication of the thrust system at work here and thats a tad distracting imho

invinciblewombat

great render, and color usage! the craft has a very racy feel to it due to its pseudo aerodynamics. however i would have rather you held to you guns and used your time to flesh out your first concept, as the size of this craft seems too small for a one month race.

Myself

its fairly unbelievable how much this piece would have sucked if i hadn't got the pre-round critique that i got... seeing the before and after is pretty humbling, and its current form is by no means perfect. part of the design decisions that were made in addition to the size and scope of the craft were made due to mistaken information. apparently when i read the write-up for some reason i got the impression this race took place over 8 months... not one... so i wanted something along the lines of a big ass engine with enough living quarters to make it doable strapped onto the front. in retrospect, if i would have re-designed it, i would have rotated the forward engines 90 degrees so they were coming off the side, and place the crew quarters on the top of the middle section to give it a more traditional look. as for rendering, while the back is tightened up, the front is fairly lose, as i was hoping the our of frame sun's hard shadows would convey enough detail.

D-Holme

i know you were going for a lose style, so major props for turning this into a trial by fire, but there's just a lot of it that is sending conflicting signals. allot of the harder edges, are fuzzy and rounded, while the engines are shooting out these trails that don't all converge to one vanishing point. rendering wise, i think the style really suits itself for the background, but it loses its appeal on the ship itself. as for the design, i love your annotations. having just finished "the forever war" i like how you incorporated that forward 'shockwave' of protection as the ship approaches light speed - in addition to the retractable living quarters.

fughi from yuggoth

as with most pictures of this perspective i have really no idea as to the form and make of this ship. the side view is only really viable when its used in conjunction with a good solid perspective view lik in D-Holme's picture. the rendering doesn't help either, but would be far less damaging to the picture if you would have chosen an angled point of view.

daveneale

before reading your write-up i was going to condemn the design as looking more like a submarine than a space ship, but now, knowing the hilarious background behind the ship's design, i can't NOT see it as very chicken-like! while im not gonna pick on your design decisions in regards to the usage of fins and what-not, i will say that i still can't read that middle part right. im not sure if its an intake on the side, or if there is a hole in the middle of the craft :/ - as far as the render goes, i really would have liked seeing it in color to bring it up to speed with the rest, but i must say, the gray scale is really well done!

Adi.

i feel like what im about to say is a copy/paste from the gunship IDotW, but here it goes. your render is infallible. everything about it is amazing. the presentation, the lines, the lighting, even the perspective (which i remember reading somebody having a problem with) is spot on to me. unfortunately, everything falls apart in regards to conforming to the topic. this ship would win hands down on an anti gravity race track, or in atmospheric flight, but none of the design elements convey that this is a space ship, taking part in a month long endurance race. even the addition of a shadow and a pilot sitting outside reinforce the illusion that this isn't a space ship, and while i enjoy 'air' intakes on a spaceship as much as the next guy, yours dominate the design of a craft that has no real use for them

honesty, your render almost won me, but i can't vote for something where half of what is graded is 110% but the other half is less than 50% ;_;

Jorge Gecov

my opinion of this piece is really close to that of yuggoth in regards to the side view really killing any chance of knowing what this ship looks like however, unlike yuggoth, your render has a nice style to it and helps bring it up a bit. its just really hard giving my opinion on something that you can't see much of. taking what i can see and running with it, the inclusion of the human for scale only ruins the believability of this ship. as i said in adi's write-up, your ship seems far too small to do what this race requires.

KuJo

while im not a fan of the style you used, there's nothing really wrong with it. its nice, lose but not cartoony, which isn't easy to pull off. however in order to read the design i wish you would have tightened it up some more. in terms of design, i commend you for choosing a different path than everybody else, however i don't think this mech-esque design really lends itself any advantages to a one month long endurance race than a more conventional design :/

as for my vote, it was really hard. as i said, adi's piece wins strictly out of rendering, and d-holmes design is a winner as far as the concept and structure of the craft in regards to the write-up. ultimately i went with ScaryPotato's who didn't score 100/100 in terms of render/design, but scored high enough in each category to pull it ahead in my opinion! regardless, i loved the turnout on this one, and can't wait for the next! - my only hope i have of getting it done is finishing it before halo 3 comes out... and team fortress 2 coming out on monday isn't going to help at all X_X

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo - i voted for Adi 'cause in that illustration you get the best feeling about the 3-dimensional shape of that "racer". great coloring - excellent work!

daveneale has a very good feeling of perspective too. and i like the idea of that funny birdy-thing! good work!

Jorge Gecov's racer is cool. i like the way diffenrent materials / brushes are used. According to the pictures depth, try to make sure of the volumes you use - what comes to the front, what's behind. i like that rough style - especially that circle focus thing.

I like the "mood" of invinceblewombat's racer - even if the surfaces are "dead-painted". try to bring in more structure made by the brushes you use!

D-Holme and Legato did good job's as well. But watch your perspectives!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3x the entries as the last topic, but one half the responses for critique :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Few - been up to my eyes with work for the last few days, here’re my comments then:

ScaryPotato – an interesting design of craft, I like the detail of the folding wings giving a little more life and depth to the design. The texture of the hull surface is nice but the background doesn’t show the craft off to its full – maybe a few highlights within the ‘warp’ would help it.

Invinciblewombat – I like the clean, clear rendition with nice bold colours. The strong national branding of the craft is also attractive. I found the design maybe a little conservative.

Legato – I can understand the thinking behind the design but feel that the ‘concept’ of racing craft has been lost a little – I suppose the ultimate importance of that is where the line is drawn between ‘practical design’ and ‘concept design’. The changes in the images over the last week really helped bring the image out. To improve the rendition further some dirt or distortion may help the appearance of some of the larger flat areas. Some areas of latticed girder appear very flat, better depth could help these areas (either as cut-outs to the background or structure behind)

Fughi from Yuggoth – I’ll have to agree with the other posters that a better perspective could have shown the design off better. If you want to use orthographic views then it may be better to present the three standard orthographic views in a design/blueprint context.

Daveneale – an interesting take on the design and I could see the elements of the design coming in form the description. Maybe just a little too hard to see it as a spaceship. I like the rendition the colour (or lack-there-of) reminds me of some 30’s newsreel – not sure whether is best represents the topic though.

Adi – I like the clean rendition, while the design itself clearly suggests some manner of racing/muscle craft. Although I can see people’s points over the large ducts I think at this level of design vs. concept they are easily acceptable. Nice details of the pilot and the wear and tear help bring the design together. Although the craft is maybe a little small I could easily see it as a craft that might take part in a multi-stage race similar to the old trans-world air-races.

Jorge Gecov – the design come across as bold and interesting but perhaps the limitations of the view or the pallet don’t help the design come across to its strongest.

KuJo – although as you say a rush job the rendition is bold and quite clear for the whole, some of the smaller detail could so with some extra work to bring them out – I find the centre of the craft rather a mass of lines.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks for everyone’s comments so-far, taking the time is appreciated.

My own piece – although I’m still far from happy with what I’m producing I do at least feel like I’m learning something. I feel like I lost focus with this design, although I like the concept overall I don’t think I managed to include enough racing-elements to bring the design together. I had an idea for a pirate ship become racing craft, with extra engines stuck in and other parts stripped out but in the end both got lost. I think the design would likely be better suited to that of a frigate or patrol craft. I like the background more than anything else I’ve managed so far – I might have to start campaigning for a Nebula of the Week.

MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my main inspiration was the nebulon-b fregate from star wars,for better understanding.

i votet for d-holme,because the others made too small ships in my opinion.
    real luxus and comfort in a spaceship means space to me,because every ton brought to orbit costs much money.
    on the other hand,the one of legato has a kind of shape,that seems to be more functional than comfortable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Holme View Post

Legato – I can understand the thinking behind the design but feel that the ‘concept’ of racing craft has been lost a little – I suppose the ultimate importance of that is where the line is drawn between ‘practical design’ and ‘concept design’. The changes in the images over the last week really helped bring the image out. To improve the rendition further some dirt or distortion may help the appearance of some of the larger flat areas. Some areas of latticed girder appear very flat, better depth could help these areas (either as cut-outs to the background or structure behind)
    yeah, in retrospect i agree fully. but in my defence, as stated in my post mortem, i misread the topic as it being an 8 month race... not a one month one X_X

so i was really going for a long haul :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to invinciblewombat for this round.

Crits

invinciblewombat
    I really liked your design, but to me, the best thing about it is your use of colour. So nice to look at the subtle changes at different points along the ship, and the overal painterly look is really pleasing to boot!

Legato
    Your design is an interesting one, but looks too busy. My eyes are first drawn to the huge engine area, but then there are so many other things to look at that the overal flow of it is lost a little. Some parts are really well rendered though, the lighting from the engine along the top of the ship, and the lit up lines at the rear in particular, however, the circles in the front look like circles, so it kind of throws the perspective off a bit.

D-Holme
    Overall, I think it could use a little more harder edges, but there are some really nice touches on your ship. I think the exhaust streams are overpowering the ship in terms of a focal point, but when you do start looking at the ship closely and notice all the nice little detailing you put into it, you forget all about the exhaust. Good job!

fughi from yuggoth
    I'd have liked to see this ship from a more isometric angle to get a sense of volume, but the design is a pretty interesting one. Try using some more contrast between light and dark to help give even profile views a more 3D feel

daveneale
    This is a fun take on the theme! Too bad it's not coloured though. The different lineweights work really well with the light-hearted design of the ship. Another nice one from you!

Adi
    Suberp rendering! I like the design of the ship, but the front seems out of line with the engine intakes to me. I think that if the background was darker, you could really play on the turqouise lights along the vessel and giving it some drama. Then again, you probably wouldn't notice the little bit of eye candy that way, heh!

Jorge Gecov
    I really like your design, but when I saw this, I thought it was just a WIP because of the profile view and lack of colouring. Would be a sweet looking ship with an iso view and some colours slapped on it!

KuJo
    Even though you put this one up at the last minute, I kind of like the heavy lines and overall feel to it. Could do with more contrast in the light/dark to help clear up some ambiguous looking parts to it, but I do like looking at it. Reminds me of the old Robotech days

Thanks to everyone for their crits this round!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    invinciblewombat: I think you should have won this round. Elegant design and very nice colouring. Like very much your style. I would like to see more of your works here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heya all

Thnx to everyone who gave me votes and to those that took the time to crit and comment, much appreciated! i aint critiqued anyones work before but i'll give it a shot..

I voted for invinciblewombat i like the design and the colour scheme and also the way you have used light and shadows to define the different surfaces, i do think you need to watch the line quality on some of your surface edges though.. apart from that nice work.

daveneale nice design, looks like some sorta kewl space chariot to me.. good lines and line weight, but as you said yourself if you had the time to push the render further it would look even better.

KuJo mechs rock! nice to see a different design direction here, you seem to have a nice loose style, i think you should use less heavy lines though, dont overwork the image, and try to use more of those finer detail lines that you have... cool design. oh and thnx for the comments hehe

Legato niiiice render, i think the light and shadows work really well and you have some cool details in there.. in terms of the design i aint got a prb with it being so large, as you know all too well i dont pay enough attention to the guidelines myself

D-Holme the background is great, by far the best here, the body shield is kewl.. i like how it looks like a protective shell, i think you just need to further define the far edge of it so that it stands out more from the background.

ScaryPotato cool ship, the shape is really interesting as are all the little details, the only thing that looks a tiiiiny bit out of place is the sharp right angle in the lower half of the ship, between the two different materials, compared to the nice smooth curves of the rest of the ship

Jorge Gecov your use of textures and overlays on this ship is awesome, looks crazy!

fughi from yuggoth nice amount of details, i think you could push the render further just by adding some more shadows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    imo D-Holme's work is the best one
    I also like Adi'sship

Members who have read this thread: 2