Exercises for Animation?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Exercises for Animation?

This might seem like a stupid question, but I'm wondering if there are specific techniques or drawing exercises that will help with 2D animation.

I practice all the drawing fundamentals, ofcourse. I do know that gestures is an important part, but I can't help but think there's something else I could be missing. You know, just incase.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try the bouncing ball animation....consisting of 16 frames usually. It will help your timing... 6 frames gaining speed 1 impact 1 squash, 1 stretch then 7 frames settling back to where it began....

or you can try a line bounce ball...
    http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/01b/bball.shtml

oh and you better get the animators survival kit, always helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, thanks. What I actually meant was just general drawing, away from the animation desk.

I've got the Survival Kit, it's great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really,
    the best way to practice animation is to animate.
    Sounds like a silly answer, but hear me out.

Animation is fundamentally Keyframes and Timing. Gesture will help you when your figuring out natural positions for Keyframing, but, there really isn't a non-animation exercise that helps with Timing. You really need a sequence of images to play with Timing, there's just no getting around it.

If your really keen on getting some Animation training away from your desk, aside from Gesture, you can people-watch. You have enough studies of Walk Cycles, Picking up Heavy Objects, and other general movement in the Animator's Survival Kit. But with people watching you can focus on the non-purposeful movements people make that can lend believability to your character.

Like, how often people *blink*, for instance. It's something our minds automatically edit out of our own experience, so the only way to get an accurate impression of how much (and when) your character should blink is to unabashedly stare at some poor unsuspecting individual one day.

Last edited by Zilant; September 15th, 2007 at 01:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The drawing exercises that your looking for as an animator, is what Glen Vilppu teaches. Learn how to get rythm down, and practice timed gestures and sequences. Learn to be a draftsman. It use to be in some large studios, youd have the lead animator make the keys, inbetweener do the suicidal job of filling (shipped over seas these days for television shows for that job) and in some cases youd have the cleanup artist. These days though, it really varies depending on what you want to do, or where you work.

If I were you, learn to be really good at digital animation. Develop thos tablet skills, and become profecient in programs such as toon boom and other good paperless animation programs.

Last edited by Costau D; September 15th, 2007 at 03:30 AM.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zilant: Thanks. Sounds about right.

Space Chimp's: I agree that learning digital animation is so import now. Not only will it save me a lot of time if I wanted to make something, but it's also an essential skill in studios these days.
    I still love using paper though... Nothing compares.

Members who have read this thread: 3