mmm....basic drawing and painting tips

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

mmm....basic drawing and painting tips

tehee!!! i love to sketch and paint! hehe if anyone would like a tip or have a question just ask i'll keep posting any tips that i get =) oh and i want some tips too ^^

drawing

tip one: Don't sketck things you don't like it just ruins things for yourself
    Tip two: #2 pencils worker very well doesn't matter what kinda of pencil you get
    Tip three: wear some gloves (if your hands sweat alot like mine and to pretent smearing)
    tip four: don't go buy the most expensive paper go buy like a 5 dollar sketch pad
    tip five: get plently of erasers
    tip six: look for where you want to put the positive space or negitive space
    tip 6: practice makes perfect!
    tip 7: have plently of erasers
    tip 8: if your hands get cramped that means your holding the pencil to tight
    tip 9: have fun
    tip 10: be in a comfortable spot
    tip 11: practice shading scale once in a while (atleast 15-30 shades)
    tip 12: don't do that crappy thing where you use the side of the pencil accually do the shading with the tip of the pencil it looks bad (my opinion)
    tip 13: mechanical pencials do wonders for thin lines
    tip 14: (if your good with spacial stuff) look at things like shapes =) a person is made of many shapes

Ex: a hand is just rectangles a big square for the big part of a hand fingers, thumb and pinky are just smaller rectangles

tip 15: perspective! thats really hard stuff to draw but hey! most things have a point of origin so look for it =)

painting (oils)

tip 16: OMG! don't go and buy the most expensive brush out there get like hog hair
    tip 17: make your own canvas it will last much longer X_X
    tip 18: please do not use turpentine! very very dangerous! (if not careful) use gamsol! =) yay gamsol! its is much safer cause it has a lower evaporation rate (still need to use a well ventilated area such as car garage)
    tip 19: omg! its not the end of the work if you don't have the expensive brush cleaner jeeze all you need is some dish soap cheap and effective and don't complain how it'll ruin the brushes thats why you want to buy basic skils brushes such as hog hair
    tip 20: oils are fun! if you paint and ake a mistake and your in a rush and can't fix it right away it won't dry in 24 hours it takes a few days
    tip 21: a painting with oils should never ever! be able to see the texture of the canvas uless thats ho you want your painting to be as
    tip 22: laaaaa!!!! dont buy pure black cause its crappy it looks greenish if you add light colors thats why you go for brown and a dark kind of blue the brown will prevent it frm turning green

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EDIT: I probably said something too snapish, and realized after hitting post.

Okay, tip number one is probably not the most useful. You need to draw things you don't like every once in a while, who knows maybe if you get good at them they'll become more enjoyable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by moroi View Post
    EDIT: I probably said something too snapish, and realized after hitting post.

Okay, tip number one is probably not the most useful. You need to draw things you don't like every once in a while, who knows maybe if you get good at them they'll become more enjoyable.
    my opinion is that if you draw things you dont like you get bored and wanna quite its a psychologocal thing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThePainter View Post
    tehee!!! i love to sketch and paint! hehe if anyone would like a tip or have a question just ask i'll keep posting any tips that i get =) oh and i want some tips too ^^

drawing

tip one: Don't sketck things you don't like it just ruins things for yourself
    Tip two: #2 pencils worker very well doesn't matter what kinda of pencil you get
    Tip three: wear some gloves (if your hands sweat alot like mine and to pretent smearing)
    tip four: don't go buy the most expensive paper go buy like a 5 dollar sketch pad
    tip five: get plently of erasers
    tip six: look for where you want to put the positive space or negitive space
    tip 6: practice makes perfect!
    tip 7: have plently of erasers
    tip 8: if your hands get cramped that means your holding the pencil to tight
    tip 9: have fun
    tip 10: be in a comfortable spot
    tip 11: practice shading scale once in a while (atleast 15-30 shades)
    tip 12: don't do that crappy thing where you use the side of the pencil accually do the shading with the tip of the pencil it looks bad (my opinion)
    tip 13: mechanical pencials do wonders for thin lines
    tip 14: (if your good with spacial stuff) look at things like shapes =) a person is made of many shapes

Ex: a hand is just rectangles a big square for the big part of a hand fingers, thumb and pinky are just smaller rectangles

tip 15: perspective! thats really hard stuff to draw but hey! most things have a point of origin so look for it =)

painting (oils)

tip 16: OMG! don't go and buy the most expensive brush out there get like hog hair
    tip 17: make your own canvas it will last much longer X_X
    tip 18: please do not use turpentine! very very dangerous! (if not careful) use gamsol! =) yay gamsol! its is much safer cause it has a lower evaporation rate (still need to use a well ventilated area such as car garage)
    tip 19: omg! its not the end of the work if you don't have the expensive brush cleaner jeeze all you need is some dish soap cheap and effective and don't complain how it'll ruin the brushes thats why you want to buy basic skils brushes such as hog hair
    tip 20: oils are fun! if you paint and ake a mistake and your in a rush and can't fix it right away it won't dry in 24 hours it takes a few days
    tip 21: a painting with oils should never ever! be able to see the texture of the canvas uless thats ho you want your painting to be as
    tip 22: laaaaa!!!! dont buy pure black cause its crappy it looks greenish if you add light colors thats why you go for brown and a dark kind of blue the brown will prevent it frm turning green
    your drawing suggestions are good, conditionally. Bassically aimed at begginers but they work.

Your painting suggestions on the other hand i dont agree with.
    #16 - a good real hogs hair brush will cost you money. And synthetic brushes work well too. It all depends on the feel you want. Dont go buying a $50 brush if your a begginerbut don't buy the cheap brushes either. They are uncomfortable to work with and the hairs actually fall out onto the canvas.
    #18 - any solvent will work for cleaning a brush, including OMS (Oderless mineral spirits, gamsol, turpenoid etc). BUT they do not work the same a turpentine when mixing into paint. Turpentine actually helps oil paint to cure (oil paint doesn't dry by evaporation unlike water based) where as OMS doesn't and causes it to dry outside in which can cause cracking in thicker paint layers.
    #19 - no you don't need the expensive brush cleaner. But most of my teachers have recomend finding a good way to clean and maintain your brushes. They are expensive take care of them.
    #21 - being able to see the canvas depends entirely on what you want to accomplish. never say never in art.
    #22 - Buy Black - saying don't buy black is like saying don't buy ultramarine cause it gets muddy when you mix it with flame red. You should understand how all colors interact with one another, omitting a color is like telling a carpenter he cant use one of his tools.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThePainter View Post
    painting (oils)

- Indeed, get 1 size 10, flat hog hair brush for 3 euro and learn to use it. 1 brush per color will make you lazy.
    - a tin of gesso = 10 euro, a stack of cardboard (50 pieces * 0.3 euro) and you have cheap "canvas" to practise on.
    - use odorless white spirit instead, in a WELL AIRED room. Use a gasmask if needed. You need about a 0.5 cm layer in a small cup to wash your brush in.
    - To clean brushes, use brown soap, it'll take half an hour, you'll prolly ocd in the long run, but by god, those brushes will be clean.
    - Unless you use fast drying pigments such as earth colors, those dry after 8 hours. (sienna, ...)
    - Indeed, that's why we work in layers. 1st layer gesso, 2nd gesso, 3rd gesso, 4rd gesso. 5nd, initial paintdrawing, 6th,black and white values, 7th color, 8th effects. Trust me, if you see canvas effects on the 8th layer, you're working on stalagmite. Which wasn't advisable in the first place.
    - Indeed, never buy pure black, people won't even sell it to you. Because it doesn't exist unless perhaps on special order. Buy Ivory black instead. It's much nicer.
    In fact, if you're just starter, titanium white, ivory black and a brush and a can of gesso and those cardboards is all you'll need for a few months creating black and white pictures.
    After those few months, you'll get to add 1 color.

Now my own:

draw,draw,draw,draw,draw,draw,draw,draw,draw,draw, draw,draw,draw,draw,draw,draw,draw,draw,draw,draw, draw,draw,draw,draw,draw,draw,draw,draw,draw,draw, draw,draw,draw,draw,draw,draw,
    and don't forget to draw.

If you're going for any type of realism, no matter what the teachers say, painting is drawing with a brush.

There's two types of work, one is working in an additive manner, the other is working in a substractive manner. Alla prima, layering, ... all additive and substractive is working with a base layer of a neutral color and adding more white or black. (true substractive would start from black all the way to white, but since it's quite hard to get clear white when the underlayer is white, most people start from a neutral color).

You will need to learn patience, you will need to visit museums with as well as modern crapt-art (almost was gonna say deviantart >_>) as well as the ancient ones with the nice collections like caravaggio.

Copy some of those paintings, why? Because it'll take a shitload of time and trains your eyes. Learns you about their color selections, and other choices
    they made.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Melancholie View Post
    - Indeed, never buy pure black, people won't even sell it to you. Because it doesn't exist unless perhaps on special order. Buy Ivory black instead. It's much nicer.
    only if that place that special orders it specializes in black holes, because really that is the only place in the universe where no light is bounced back.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh, I would like some Black Hole pigment, pretty please?

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
    Ooh, I would like some Black Hole pigment, pretty please?
    Sure, bend over. The collecting of it might feel a little rough though >_>

Aw, come on, was there anyone not expecting that line?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.