Neo-Ikarus or Ikaryu?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: What name do you think is best? Please comment when you vote!

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Neo-Ikarus

0 0%
  • Ikaryu

3 60.00%
  • Stick with Ikarus (reason?)

0 0%
  • I have a better name to suggest! :3 (please post)

2 40.00%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Neo-Ikarus or Ikaryu?

I have been thinking about the name 'Ikaurs' that I have been using for my manga project based on my Hawk cyborg concept. Many here on this forum have been saying that "the name Ikarus may mislead and dissapoint some people into thinking that it is based on the greek myth"
    So I've come up with these two alternatie names, 'Neo-Ikarus' and 'Ikaryu'.
    Which do you think sounds better? Or do you have a better name to suggest?

These (very early) pics were featured here already, but I'll post a few again to show you what I am talking about. Critique again if you will, but I already recived critique, so right now the name is my main concern.

Neo-Ikarus or Ikaryu?

Neo-Ikarus or Ikaryu?
    Latest sketch

Last edited by Ikarus14; September 24th, 2007 at 04:19 PM. Reason: changing pics
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have you drawn anything new for this?

I think Ikaryu looks and sounds a bit badass, although, you may want to check and make sure it doesn't mean anything in other languages.

Neo-Ikarus sounds rather stale to me. Besides, all that says is that it's a modern version of the same myth.

Ultimately, names tend to be working titles and are subject to change. Just work on the story and art and the name that is most appropriate will come.

Personally, I think you should be far more worried about your art and your visual communication skills before the name of the project. So far, you're showing the same images in the last thread with no changes.

An open mouth and an open mind go hand in hand. - me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=Liik;1455959]Have you drawn anything new for this?

Still just scribbles and sketches. I haven't really done anything yet that I feel that should be put up in here. I only re-posted these for those who may not have seen it. Acually the one at the bottom is the most recent, though it was showen on another post

Last edited by Ikarus14; September 14th, 2007 at 06:28 PM. Reason: .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any other opinions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My opinion is that you'll probably get farther by working feverishly on the project, vice waiting around for market studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood View Post
    My opinion is that you'll probably get farther by working feverishly on the project, vice waiting around for market studies.
    Hmm. Makes sence actually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when you said "Hawk" I thought he would look more like a hawk and less a human.

anyway, This looks like an interesting character but why is he a cyborg? Why does he use a sword? Why is he blue? Just some things to consider, if you're working on a story know your characters better than the people reading it, know their past, personality, and mannerisms.

I it sounds like I'm picking you a part but just one more thing:
    The sword. Why is it a generic long sword? (sorry but this one of my pet peeves) why not try something more visual interesting than a long sword or a katana ( I swear everyone and their grandma does manga characters with that stupid sword!) ok I'm done ranting

THe point I guess I'm trying to get across is, if we don't have at least a general idea of what he is like we can't really give him a fitting name.

Good Luck

Insanity is one of those things most people ignore, but I embrace.

I have SOME idea of what I am doing!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_artist View Post
    when you said "Hawk" I thought he would look more like a hawk and less a human.

anyway, This looks like an interesting character but why is he a cyborg? Why does he use a sword? Why is he blue? Just some things to consider, if you're working on a story know your characters better than the people reading it, know their past, personality, and mannerisms.

I it sounds like I'm picking you a part but just one more thing:
    The sword. Why is it a generic long sword? (sorry but this one of my pet peeves) why not try something more visual interesting than a long sword or a katana ( I swear everyone and their grandma does manga characters with that stupid sword!) ok I'm done ranting

THe point I guess I'm trying to get across is, if we don't have at least a general idea of what he is like we can't really give him a fitting name.

Good Luck

I guess you are right by "if we don't have at least a general idea of what he is like we can't really give him a fitting name." Never really thought of it that way. So next time when I have time I'll try and post up character profiles and story backgrounds. I'm pretty busy with school studies, so god only knows how I find the time to draw anime.

As for the 'generic sword' rant, you are right to say so. It ain't something we haven't seen before (now it feels like Power Rangers to me, something you'd like to advoid.). I'm working on a more interesting sci-fi design for it, but I want to stick to the katana kind of thing.

Thanks for commenting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can understand the katana thing if he's Japanese. but just think, there isn't a lot you can do before it becomes unrecognizable. Google image search falchion or kukurii (i think I spelled that right) or a gladius or copius. in addition to being less common in general (the last two are kinda needed in movies like Troy or 300) they have broader blades which gives you more room to add sci-fi doodads.
    Or you could look up a online vendor of historically accurate or authentic swords for some ideas (trust me there are some freaky and unusual swords out there!)

good luck!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_artist View Post
    I can understand the katana thing if he's Japanese. but just think, there isn't a lot you can do before it becomes unrecognizable. Google image search falchion or kukurii (i think I spelled that right) or a gladius or copius. in addition to being less common in general (the last two are kinda needed in movies like Troy or 300) they have broader blades which gives you more room to add sci-fi doodads.
    Or you could look up a online vendor of historically accurate or authentic swords for some ideas (trust me there are some freaky and unusual swords out there!)

good luck!!
    Thank you very much

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome glad I could help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vol, the average Latin base of Flight. Short, Snappy, cool.

You can NEVER go wrong with latin. Never EVER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford View Post
    Vol, the average Latin base of Flight. Short, Snappy, cool.

You can NEVER go wrong with latin. Never EVER.
    Vol? Hmm, I'll keep it in mind, thank you

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.