View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: half naked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

half naked

hi guys im new here and this is my first submission

comment away

Last edited by naxareth; September 12th, 2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: everyone was commenting on the stupid watermark
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not bad. a little too soft for my taste and could use more variations in the colors. also more contrast and darker parts in skin and hair shadow would be good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    playboy? In all seriousness the bright cream colors feel rather harsh as apposed to warm. And yeah Arne S is right there could be more color variation. and why does the lace have that kind of specularity? Make her feel like she is wearing plastic lingerie?

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As a pinup piece this is pretty cool.

If you are looking to inject a bit more realism, this lady needs to cast some shadows.

On an different note, I think the watermark needs to go. It detracts from the piece as a whole. Everytime I try to look at her boobs, I find my eyes wanting to figure out what is chiseled into her arm, lol.

As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think thats his copyright carved into her arm? Its realy distracting.

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol u want me to post one without the watermark???

and abt shadow casting...i really dunno how it works

shes wearing leather lingerie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's too flat to be leather. It needs to look thicker and not so shiny. Right now it looks like plastic or rubber.

And yes, I also like to see people post art without watermarks. A normal signature would do just fine to identify it as your work. Like this. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1186409746

People are here to learn, not to steal art.

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can post the reference picture you used? It looks almost traced... that's okay for practice but you want to becareful with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In general, the larger your watermark, the less professional you look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres the reference pic...why do u think that its traced

and i was joking abt the leather i just dunno how to do lace stuff

im just a beginner :/

Last edited by naxareth; September 12th, 2007 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    u guys might wanna check Al Rios art, hes got some big assed watermarks lol

so i dont think it makes u look less pro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, naxareth. I hope you don't mind, I did an overlap of your work and the reference. I have to say, if you didn't trace the reference, you've got to have the most accurate eye I've ever seen. For me to get that kind of accuracy it would take anywhere from weeks to never. Especially with the foreshortening.

Other than that, I agree with the comments above.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good sense of form, none of the anatomy seems contrived or "off"... basic figure works very well.

There is a distinct lack of detail in this piece. The two areas where this is the most apparent are the hair and the lingerie. In each, the basic volume/form is represented, but none of the details come through. This lack of detail through the entire piece serves to give it an almost cartoonish feel. If that was your intention, then that's fine. However, if you were looking for a more realistic rendering, you need to start refining and defining details in this painting.

As has been mentioned already, shadows, shadows, shadows! At present, the entire piece is very washed out, creating the overall effect of the scene being lit with at least 20 high-watt lights set up in a random array.

A lot of the problem may have to do with the fact that the light source(s) don't seem to be clearly defined. For example, there is a VERY bright highlight on her forehead, indicating a light coming from the front, but her arm, chest, clothing etc. don't indicate this same bright light. Since you've got the basic forms down already, select 1-3 light sources, and start building up the shadows and highlights from there.

EDIT Looking at the reference pic, you'll notice that there is a good deal of ambient light, but there is still one major bright light coming from above and a little behind the figure, creating highlights at the top and darker shadows below, especially between the figure and the bedsheets. In the piece, there is no such definitive light source.

I'm as big a fan as anyone of putting a visible copyright notice on a piece, but your watermark is large and very distracting. It really does detract from the piece, especially as it is emblazoned on the element in the picture that is closest to the viewer. If you are trying to prevent someone from stealing your image, then this is not really a good way to do it, as watermarks can be easily removed. (see attachment - < 30m, PS/mouse) If you're really that concerned about others stealing your work, then you may not want to put it online at all. As mentioned, this is a professional forum, and nobody is looking to steal your work. EDIT I looked up Al Rio (nice art). The only piece I saw a watermark on was an illustration he was selling prints of. This is common practice. I seriously doubt that, were you to order the print, the watermark would appear on it.

I'd like to see what you used as reference for this piece... many of the details and lighting issues may be addressed by analyzing the source. If no reference was used, then you can create them. EDIT Whoops... was posted while I was posting.

Overall, a really good start, and I look forward to seeing how it progresses. Keep at it!

P.S. - Apologies for the pic alteration... just illustrating a point. I'll be more than happy to pull it down if so desired.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Imagus; September 12th, 2007 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe busted huh but honestly i didnt trace the whole thing i just got the basic shape of things and i got more uploads coming up and hope i will get a lotta helpful comments

know anyplace where i can get good corel painter tutorials?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's funny that you're so worried about someone stealing your art that you put that bigass watermark on it, yet how you've used that photo is technically copyright infringement.
    (And by that I don't mean it's a big deal, just genuinely funny.)

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aaaaaaaaaargh this sucks ,, i didnt put the watermark cus someone wud steal lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ill upload one without the watermark till then im takin off the pics

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love this site!!

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cya guys tmrow am off to sleep "tired of the watermark!!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Copying and tracing is good for learning, but It's better to admit it and not try to pass it off as your own "work". Cause then, when the rest of your work doesn't hold up to the same standards, you will be exposed. Then people might get upset with you because you tried to fool them. And nobody will be impressed by your work, which I guess was your intention in the first place.

So be nice, honest and humble about your work. You'll gain more positive feedback and respect that way. Only THEN will you start to improve... Which I'm hoping is your goal...

Peace!

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seriously, this guy has balls... tiny ones, but still balls

No, really I think it's very cool that even though he almost "traced" the whole image. He has the guts to post the reference. I hope this will be a good lesson and doesn't scare you and anyone else to post work here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    Seriously, this guy has balls... tiny ones, but still balls

No, really I think it's very cool that even though he almost "traced" the whole image. He has the guts to post the reference. I hope this will be a good lesson and doesn't scare you and anyone else to post work here.
    Reminds me of a person who posted (on a different board) a bunch of Contrast/Brightness-adjusted Garry's Mod (game sandbox engine) screencaps, saying that "maybe it's something new I've created". Also, I recall another "first work" post (same board) whose second reply included a link to the original work that he was actually copying (not tracing).

In a more severe case, I once saw someone post on a game-creation board, taking credit for creation of a small freeware game. Very shortly after that, the ACTUAL creator of the game posted and said that, if you're going to try and take credit for someone else's work, you should at least know who really did the work, and avoid posting in industry-visible forums that person might be a MEMBER of.

In this specific instance, the whole "what makes you think it was traced?" comment was pretty brazen. Like you said, at least he eventually provided the "reference" and fessed up.

No worries about posting work here... though I'm probably not going to have anything better than sketchbook/WIP quality any time soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.