Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take for you to complete a drawing?

Thanks

How long does it take for you to complete a drawing?

I mean on average
    Last edited by FlameDragon; September 11th, 2007 at 09:57 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Need more info. What size drawing... in pencil, inked too, charcoal, from the model... a drawing can be highly sparse or filled with detail...

kev
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Need more info. What size drawing... in pencil, inked too, charcoal, from the model... a drawing can be highly sparse or filled with detail...

kev

I edited it and made the post alot shorter because I wanted to delete the thread, how do you delete a thread when one's post is the only post in it?

Well anyway, I mean in pencil a fairly detailed work....like let's say you're drawing a fanart of an existing character. My friend is drawing fanart of a character for me but it's been 2 1/2 years now and I didnt get it...should a drawing take that long?

Thanks
    Tough question to answer in general.

What size?
    What medium?
    What level of detail?
    What purpose?

Lots of variables to consider...

I have personally done drawings rangeing from 30 seconds to over 15 hours in length.

I tend to do lots of short sketches (5-10 minute things) when I have a bit of time to kill. I suppose the longer the drawing, the less of them I produce (just by simple math). I think my favorite drawings usually end up somewhere in the 6 hour range.

Anyway, lol, why the question? As long as you are enjoying the process, why does it matter how long it takes? (Unless you're doing stuff on a deadline, but that's a whole 'nother ball game.)
    As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MephistoLV View Post
    Tough question to answer in general.

What size?
    What medium?
    What level of detail?
    What purpose?

Lots of variables to consider...

I have personally done drawings rangeing from 30 seconds to over 15 hours in length.

I tend to do lots of short sketches (5-10 minute things) when I have a bit of time to kill. I suppose the longer the drawing, the less of them I produce (just by simple math). I think my favorite drawings usually end up somewhere in the 6 hour range.

Anyway, lol, why the question? As long as you are enjoying the process, why does it matter how long it takes? (Unless you're doing stuff on a deadline, but that's a whole 'nother ball game.)

Thats why I wanted to delete the topic, how do you do so? I went to edit post when I first made it but didnt see anywhere to delete it.

But also it's because my friend's supposed to be doing this drawing for me and it's been 2 1/2 years now and I havent even seen any sketches of it from her yet! She usually says she is busy, but could one character drawing really take years to do?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Simple: If you paid her, ask for your money back.

2 1/2 years is crazy dude! A drawing takes five hours!
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    I think only moderators can delete topics entirely.

As far as your friend's drawing...she may have been "working on it" for 2 1/2 years, but I seriously doubt that she's been going continuously for that time (it would likely be one hell of a drawing in that case, lol). Most likely, she has spent a total of maybe a few hours stretched out over that time span (although if you haven't seen any of it, you must be wondering whether anything is happening at all!) At any rate, I hope you are not paying for it cause if you are, you should consider making the deadline a wee bit shorter...
    As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

Thanks
    takes a mod to delete a thread
    chaos
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MephistoLV View Post
    I think only moderators can delete topics entirely.

As far as your friend's drawing...she may have been "working on it" for 2 1/2 years, but I seriously doubt that she's been going continuously for that time (it would likely be one hell of a drawing in that case, lol). Most likely, she has spent a total of maybe a few hours stretched out over that time span (although if you haven't seen any of it, you must be wondering whether anything is happening at all!) At any rate, I hope you are not paying for it cause if you are, you should consider making the deadline a wee bit shorter...
    Yeah but 2 1/2 years? Well now she just said she is going to start the drawing soon so that means in all that time she hasn't really done anything with it. I dont know how it's conceivable for a person to be that busy and if it is, I dont know why propose doing the drawing in the first place (although I appreciate the gesture) if it's going to be a long wait. I'm only tolerating it because it's not a commission (although I wanted it to be), it's a trade...and also because she's a reasonably good friend and her art is pretty cool so I'm curious to see how it will come out looking after all this effort. But man...2 1/2 years, compare that to when she did a drawing of my favorite character for me without me even asking for it, it came out great and she did it for me in one day!

Thanks
    I guess I wont delete it then
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,789 Posts
    2-1/2 YEARS!

Holy shit...your friend's yankin' your chain, dude. The worst time I ever spent on a drawing was roughly 5 hours a day for 9 months (about 1,300 hours) but it was a major piece 15 x 20 done with a 000 rapido as a pointie exercise...

I have spent as long as 20-30+ years on one painting or another, though, mainly because I constantly get interrupted, so it's not straight time...heeheehee...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    2-1/2 YEARS!

Holy shit...your friend's yankin' your chain, dude. The worst time I ever spent on a drawing was roughly 5 hours a day for 9 months (about 1,300 hours) but it was a major piece 15 x 20 done with a 000 rapido as a pointie exercise...

I have spent as long as 20-30+ years on one painting or another, though, mainly because I constantly get interrupted, so it's not straight time...heeheehee...
    I want to tell her to forget it since it's been too long but I'm curious as to how the finished product would look, although I get the feeling that I'll be saying "It's a great drawing but I waited 3 years for this!??"

Thanks
    Ilaekae any chance you could show us this 1,300hr drawing id be interesed to see it

Edit* oh yeah and I guess on topic my average would probably be 5-7hrs I guess (I feel like im kind of slow sometimes), but Ive taken a lot longer on some things a lot shorter on others-sounds like your friend has more of a problem with the motivation to do the piece rather than any actual production time thang

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast