How long does it take for you to complete a drawing?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    962
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 72 Times in 50 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fallingwater
    Posts
    5,080
    Thanks
    1,516
    Thanked 5,161 Times in 1,707 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Need more info. What size drawing... in pencil, inked too, charcoal, from the model... a drawing can be highly sparse or filled with detail...

    kev

    At least Icarus tried!


    My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

    My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    962
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 72 Times in 50 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Need more info. What size drawing... in pencil, inked too, charcoal, from the model... a drawing can be highly sparse or filled with detail...

    kev

    I edited it and made the post alot shorter because I wanted to delete the thread, how do you delete a thread when one's post is the only post in it?

    Well anyway, I mean in pencil a fairly detailed work....like let's say you're drawing a fanart of an existing character. My friend is drawing fanart of a character for me but it's been 2 1/2 years now and I didnt get it...should a drawing take that long?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    here and now
    Posts
    588
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 122 Times in 98 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Tough question to answer in general.

    What size?
    What medium?
    What level of detail?
    What purpose?

    Lots of variables to consider...

    I have personally done drawings rangeing from 30 seconds to over 15 hours in length.

    I tend to do lots of short sketches (5-10 minute things) when I have a bit of time to kill. I suppose the longer the drawing, the less of them I produce (just by simple math). I think my favorite drawings usually end up somewhere in the 6 hour range.

    Anyway, lol, why the question? As long as you are enjoying the process, why does it matter how long it takes? (Unless you're doing stuff on a deadline, but that's a whole 'nother ball game.)

    As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    962
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 72 Times in 50 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MephistoLV View Post
    Tough question to answer in general.

    What size?
    What medium?
    What level of detail?
    What purpose?

    Lots of variables to consider...

    I have personally done drawings rangeing from 30 seconds to over 15 hours in length.

    I tend to do lots of short sketches (5-10 minute things) when I have a bit of time to kill. I suppose the longer the drawing, the less of them I produce (just by simple math). I think my favorite drawings usually end up somewhere in the 6 hour range.

    Anyway, lol, why the question? As long as you are enjoying the process, why does it matter how long it takes? (Unless you're doing stuff on a deadline, but that's a whole 'nother ball game.)

    Thats why I wanted to delete the topic, how do you do so? I went to edit post when I first made it but didnt see anywhere to delete it.

    But also it's because my friend's supposed to be doing this drawing for me and it's been 2 1/2 years now and I havent even seen any sketches of it from her yet! She usually says she is busy, but could one character drawing really take years to do?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fallingwater
    Posts
    5,080
    Thanks
    1,516
    Thanked 5,161 Times in 1,707 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Simple: If you paid her, ask for your money back.

    2 1/2 years is crazy dude! A drawing takes five hours!

    At least Icarus tried!


    My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

    My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    here and now
    Posts
    588
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 122 Times in 98 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I think only moderators can delete topics entirely.

    As far as your friend's drawing...she may have been "working on it" for 2 1/2 years, but I seriously doubt that she's been going continuously for that time (it would likely be one hell of a drawing in that case, lol). Most likely, she has spent a total of maybe a few hours stretched out over that time span (although if you haven't seen any of it, you must be wondering whether anything is happening at all!) At any rate, I hope you are not paying for it cause if you are, you should consider making the deadline a wee bit shorter...

    As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    7,025
    Thanks
    149
    Thanked 962 Times in 505 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    takes a mod to delete a thread
    chaos

    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

    Sketch book

    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    962
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 72 Times in 50 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MephistoLV View Post
    I think only moderators can delete topics entirely.

    As far as your friend's drawing...she may have been "working on it" for 2 1/2 years, but I seriously doubt that she's been going continuously for that time (it would likely be one hell of a drawing in that case, lol). Most likely, she has spent a total of maybe a few hours stretched out over that time span (although if you haven't seen any of it, you must be wondering whether anything is happening at all!) At any rate, I hope you are not paying for it cause if you are, you should consider making the deadline a wee bit shorter...
    Yeah but 2 1/2 years? Well now she just said she is going to start the drawing soon so that means in all that time she hasn't really done anything with it. I dont know how it's conceivable for a person to be that busy and if it is, I dont know why propose doing the drawing in the first place (although I appreciate the gesture) if it's going to be a long wait. I'm only tolerating it because it's not a commission (although I wanted it to be), it's a trade...and also because she's a reasonably good friend and her art is pretty cool so I'm curious to see how it will come out looking after all this effort. But man...2 1/2 years, compare that to when she did a drawing of my favorite character for me without me even asking for it, it came out great and she did it for me in one day!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    7,025
    Thanks
    149
    Thanked 962 Times in 505 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I guess I wont delete it then

    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

    Sketch book

    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,134
    Thanks
    8,227
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    2-1/2 YEARS!

    Holy shit...your friend's yankin' your chain, dude. The worst time I ever spent on a drawing was roughly 5 hours a day for 9 months (about 1,300 hours) but it was a major piece 15 x 20 done with a 000 rapido as a pointie exercise...

    I have spent as long as 20-30+ years on one painting or another, though, mainly because I constantly get interrupted, so it's not straight time...heeheehee...

    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

    Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    962
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 72 Times in 50 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    2-1/2 YEARS!

    Holy shit...your friend's yankin' your chain, dude. The worst time I ever spent on a drawing was roughly 5 hours a day for 9 months (about 1,300 hours) but it was a major piece 15 x 20 done with a 000 rapido as a pointie exercise...

    I have spent as long as 20-30+ years on one painting or another, though, mainly because I constantly get interrupted, so it's not straight time...heeheehee...
    I want to tell her to forget it since it's been too long but I'm curious as to how the finished product would look, although I get the feeling that I'll be saying "It's a great drawing but I waited 3 years for this!??"

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    994
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 178 Times in 105 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Ilaekae any chance you could show us this 1,300hr drawing id be interesed to see it

    Edit* oh yeah and I guess on topic my average would probably be 5-7hrs I guess (I feel like im kind of slow sometimes), but Ive taken a lot longer on some things a lot shorter on others-sounds like your friend has more of a problem with the motivation to do the piece rather than any actual production time thang

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Yeah, it sounds like she maybe was interested in drawing it at first and then soon just didn't feel like it...but you probably kept asking her about it so she had to make up some reason each time why she hadn't done it yet...and so years later when you're still asking about it, she figures you aren't going to let it go, so she might as well finish it.

    I've done that to people before, I hate to say it. Usually because it had taken me longer than usual to get started because I was doing other things so they started hounding me about and making me just not want to do it at all. Pretty soon I was filling my spare time with every other thing I could think of to avoid that one thing.

    I've gotten better about it. I hate to say some innocent people have gotten involved in it. People that were in line right before them, so I knew that as soon as I finished their work, I would have to start on the dreaded picture.

    If it's just a drawing, 5 minutes-2 hours is what it normally takes me. Full-color can take me sometimes 16-20 hours because I shade and smudge obsessively. But as far as finishing a picture for someone, either way I've never made them wait more than two months. 2 1/2 years sounds like she isn't into the picture but doesn't want to hurt your feelings by saying no.

    That's a huge thing artists have to learn. We like to think we should be able to do anything, and that makes saying no really hard. Whether we just aren't ready for it or it's just not interesting enough, it feels like we should be able to handle everything that comes at us. Either way, if the artist isn't ready or isn't feeling the picture, it's just not going to come out right.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    962
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 72 Times in 50 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by StarrTheInsane View Post
    Yeah, it sounds like she maybe was interested in drawing it at first and then soon just didn't feel like it...but you probably kept asking her about it so she had to make up some reason each time why she hadn't done it yet...and so years later when you're still asking about it, she figures you aren't going to let it go, so she might as well finish it.

    I've done that to people before, I hate to say it. Usually because it had taken me longer than usual to get started because I was doing other things so they started hounding me about and making me just not want to do it at all. Pretty soon I was filling my spare time with every other thing I could think of to avoid that one thing.

    I've gotten better about it. I hate to say some innocent people have gotten involved in it. People that were in line right before them, so I knew that as soon as I finished their work, I would have to start on the dreaded picture.

    If it's just a drawing, 5 minutes-2 hours is what it normally takes me. Full-color can take me sometimes 16-20 hours because I shade and smudge obsessively. But as far as finishing a picture for someone, either way I've never made them wait more than two months. 2 1/2 years sounds like she isn't into the picture but doesn't want to hurt your feelings by saying no.

    That's a huge thing artists have to learn. We like to think we should be able to do anything, and that makes saying no really hard. Whether we just aren't ready for it or it's just not interesting enough, it feels like we should be able to handle everything that comes at us. Either way, if the artist isn't ready or isn't feeling the picture, it's just not going to come out right.

    The thing is that I havent asked about the picture at all since 2005, after months passed by I started losing hope in seeing it. But she would always be the one to send me a message every few months saying that she's going to start it or something. I do get the sense now though that she isn't as motivated to do it as before, I think she is regarding it more as an obligation. Another person who she is doing a drawing for in front of mine, it has been like 7 months and he was saying nevermind but she replied that "it's only going to be a couple more weeks." That was like 5 months ago. She also writes the progress of the drawing so in April his drawing was like 55% and in September it is now at 65%! I dont even know how that works, is it like one day an arm is drawn, weeks later the other arm is drawn, weeks later the torso is drawn...

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Then I would say just don't expect it. Be more concerned that your friend is over-extending herself and do what you can to help her get things straightened out. Someday she may finish the picture and it'll be a really nice surprise rather than just fulfilling some curiosity over a drawing that took years to finish.

    You may consider asking her if she's having any kind of problem that's not art related. I'm trying to break myself of a bad habit of escapism. Seems when I have alot of minor things that should be easy enough to do, I will instead seek out entertainment. Even though deep down I know I should be doing the other stuff and I feel bad for not doing it, I still watch movies or play games.

    It's kinda like playing the Sims, and the kids aren't having any fun so they won't do their homework, but if you let them play then they'll be up all night doing the homework and not have any sleep for school...sometimes you just gotta skip something you know you should do in order to be fully charged to do everything else. Just let her know that you're okay with it if she has to skip this one. Maybe she'll skip it, or maybe she'll finish it, but she needs to know you're still going to be her friend if she doesn't.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    962
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 72 Times in 50 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by StarrTheInsane View Post
    Then I would say just don't expect it. Be more concerned that your friend is over-extending herself and do what you can to help her get things straightened out. Someday she may finish the picture and it'll be a really nice surprise rather than just fulfilling some curiosity over a drawing that took years to finish.

    You may consider asking her if she's having any kind of problem that's not art related. I'm trying to break myself of a bad habit of escapism. Seems when I have alot of minor things that should be easy enough to do, I will instead seek out entertainment. Even though deep down I know I should be doing the other stuff and I feel bad for not doing it, I still watch movies or play games.

    It's kinda like playing the Sims, and the kids aren't having any fun so they won't do their homework, but if you let them play then they'll be up all night doing the homework and not have any sleep for school...sometimes you just gotta skip something you know you should do in order to be fully charged to do everything else. Just let her know that you're okay with it if she has to skip this one. Maybe she'll skip it, or maybe she'll finish it, but she needs to know you're still going to be her friend if she doesn't.

    Well I do hear her saying that she's busy with college (me too, though not that busy) and I think she said she works. Thats why I can understand if she has trouble finding time to draw it. But then I see her posting other drawings and wonder that she found time to do those but what about mine? I dont even really mind that it's been taking this long, but all I wanted to see was a thumbnail sketch or something, something to demonstrate to me that the drawing has at least been underway!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hmm...maybe she is genuinely concerned about the quality of your picture. The other stuff looks good to you because you had no idea she had time to do it. She probably just threw those together and doesn't think they're anything special, but since she feels obligated to do your picture as a friend, it could be adding some stress that shouldn't even be there and so she's just not happy with anything she can come up with. But on the other hand, she probably also feels your vibe of "I waited three years for this?!" and so she feels like if she is going to finish it, it should be really good.

    College can fill up a schedule really quickly. Even if the person isn't busy per se, just having all these separate responsibilities can make it feel that way. So she's looking for something fun to take her mind off it when she's not busy with school. THANK GOD she can still turn to art. I always said I didn't want to do art for a living because I didn't want it to become a "job". It's something I like to do and I'd hate to get to the point where I just don't feel like doing it at all.

    Be happy she's still making art even if it's not your picture, sounds like she's recovering from burn-out, but it also sounds like she's really worried about how yours will turn out. Maybe just not ready to tackle something serious yet.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    962
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 72 Times in 50 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by StarrTheInsane View Post
    Hmm...maybe she is genuinely concerned about the quality of your picture. The other stuff looks good to you because you had no idea she had time to do it. She probably just threw those together and doesn't think they're anything special, but since she feels obligated to do your picture as a friend, it could be adding some stress that shouldn't even be there and so she's just not happy with anything she can come up with. But on the other hand, she probably also feels your vibe of "I waited three years for this?!" and so she feels like if she is going to finish it, it should be really good.

    College can fill up a schedule really quickly. Even if the person isn't busy per se, just having all these separate responsibilities can make it feel that way. So she's looking for something fun to take her mind off it when she's not busy with school. THANK GOD she can still turn to art. I always said I didn't want to do art for a living because I didn't want it to become a "job". It's something I like to do and I'd hate to get to the point where I just don't feel like doing it at all.

    Be happy she's still making art even if it's not your picture, sounds like she's recovering from burn-out, but it also sounds like she's really worried about how yours will turn out. Maybe just not ready to tackle something serious yet.

    College, at least in my experience, doesnt fill up the schedule. Then again, I never study until the day before an exam though I still end up getting A's. I do agree that art is great for taking one's mind off that though! Well she hasnt posted any art at all in months now so maybe she is quite burned out. So I messaged her and told her not to do the drawing anymore since I dont want it to be a burden on her. Lets see what she says

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook