Sketchbook: Never gonna give up, whether you like it or not. Come look! - Page 3

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Christ, there's a lot of work here!

Really interesting going down this page screen by screen, you can see definate improvement and more confidence in your lines. It's also good to see you're working nice and big and using the whole page.

Keep doing more studies but that goes without saying, don't let them get you down.

My Site

Sketchbook - Crits and opinions needed and welcomed
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Porg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Those last studies are GREAT! I love your dynamic, floating lines! Also, I spot some works there that really could use some finishing touches, just to show their potential!

And I sorry if I mislead you, what I meant was that they DO have a good feeling to them, and that you should just go ahead and sketch.
    But beware, beware! Don't end up like me! I've doodled for so long that I've kept some terrible habits, and they're EVER so hard to break out of! (damn you, arms and legs! And eyes!! I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME!!!)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkeydominator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If you don't finish it in one sitting, you can always come back to it at a later date! Forcing yourself to sit and finish something can make it seem like a job, so you will end up hating the piece and just rushing it anyway but even so, this last update is great! I love the huge men in helmets you have done, their armour/costumes are very imaginative! It's good to see you've got some studies in there too, keep going with those, even if you don't do many, they will definately pay off in the end! They are looking niiice too, very clean lines!
    Well done!

Last edited by Spirit; August 29th, 2009 at 12:59 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey, get your lazy ass online and submit art, already!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkeydominator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Porg - Thanks! I'm trying to do more studies, but I just find it more fun to mess around. As you can see

Monkey - I know, i'm a lazy tard >.< Thanks, I see what you mean now. My mind filtered the "ing" out of "trying", so all I read was "try to capture a feeling". I'll try not to stop short from now on.

Spirit - Thank you =) I never try to force myself to finish a piece, but I do have a real problem getting myself excited about it and actually wanting to work on it.

sorry for the lack of update, i've been really busy lately. just went back and tried to finish some older pieces mostly.

Last edited by Lionsword; December 9th, 2010 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks
    This update is good! I like the figure/gesture studies you have done, keep those up were the poses from imagination? or did you use a ref? Either way they look great!
    It's good that you tried to finish some of your older pieces too, the sixth picture (I think it is the sixth anyway) is looking great! Your ability to render well really shines through on that one now that you have finished it, and it makes a nice change from all of the unfinished ones you have done... although they are good too, of course
    Your studies of the eye are good too, and I see you are thinking of the eye as a 3D thing too, which is very good, as most people forget that and just think of the part which they can see, so kudos for you there, Lionsword!
    The idea, or concept in your fourth piece I find really interesting too, even though it's just an initial sketch. Maybe you could take that further and do another finished piece? or just a more detailed sketch?
    Hmm, if you find it hard to get excited over a piece, maybe you could try doing some drawing on a subject you really like. If you are already doing that then, continue with that, but also expand your interests so to speak, so that way your art can expand too.
    And I am off to bed now, it's 2am here and I have to be up early keep up the good work!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    rendering skill level: 1. Max: 20

Last edited by Lionsword; December 9th, 2010 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks
    Spirit - thanks for the kind words, I did those poses from imagination, I couldn't be bothered to spend 30 minutes looking for good refs when I could be drawing. >.> I think I already am drawing the stuff I really like, but it's just I get bored of the subject after a while, no matter what it is. It's hard, but I'm trying.

I'm just going back and finishing all this old crap that i should have finished a long time ago, so there's not going to be any new stuff till i finish that stuff. Except studies.

Thanks
    Quickies from the Keg tonight.

Thanks
    Lovely work! Your sketches have a wonderfully loose feeling to them, and the rendering of the soon-to-be finished piece is great so far!
    There's really not much more to be said, except I look forward to the finished pieces and studies!
    Gogogo!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkeydominator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks monkey. I'm a-trying.

This now sits on my desk, right beside my monitor.

Thanks
    craap.

Thanks
    Haha! Love the little text, it's awesome!

Also, wowsiez, I like your last one! But I have a little trouble seeing where the light is coming from. Most suggests front, but parts of the face suggests from above, and the hair says it's from the left (or her right, whatev). I think the nose is a little "male", in other words a little too big and sharp, but that might just be because I've been studying Waterhouse all day. Damn I love that man's pictures.

Other than that, I really like the design. As usual it's creative without being overworked, and has a pleasant value range.
    Go go go!

Also, it's September 11th.
    You updated the 4th.
    WELL? GET TO IT.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkeydominator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Monkey - thanks, the lighting is pretty fucked on that last one. I'll try to fix it up a bit, if i ever go back to it.

Also, I'm a black liar. I couldn't even focus on any of the old ones when i tried to finish them...but i finally finished my old sketchbook got a this huge black one to fill up, the girl with the flower in her hair is the first page of the new one.

Thanks
    I like your updates and such but i feel you need to pay more attention to noses and the general foreshortening of the images, it lacks the depth. but besides that. i'm really digging the concepts like the piece of where it has the armor and such. i like that alot.

"Although nature commences with reason and ends in experience it is necessary for us to do the opposite, that is to commence with experience and from this to proceed to investigate the reason."

Leonardo Da Vinci

La Super Duper Uber SG!!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Morte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Love the work ethic behind all those sketches, you must have spent hours doing them! Keep it up!

Sketch back if you'd like...

26. The Following User Says Thank You to adammelo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, your latest sketches have loads of dynamic movements! Great poses and designs!
    But ouch, watch out for perspective! It's especially obvious on the first picture... you're watching the tower from down right, but the window is front.
    As usual it gives me bunches and heaps of inspiration, kep it up!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkeydominator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Come update with us, Lion...

For ever... and ever...

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkeydominator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yes I'd definately watch for perspective in the first picture, the window seems to throw the whole piece off, which rendered my tired brain being confused! I really like the figure drawing you did on the second picture, the way you approached it is great! The girl with the stripey hood/scarf is a great concept too, I love the starts on her cheek! I know you can't finish work and don;t particularly like it, maybe you could try and take that one further?
    And the photo made me laugh xD keep up the good work and craziness!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Morte - thanks, i'll try to keep an eye out for my noses from now on. and yeah, my foreshortening sucks. bleh.

adammelo - not really a work ethic so much as sit my ass down and draw something and pray i finish it ... but thanks!

Monkey - O_o are there cookies in updateland? i'm not going if there aren't any cookies...
    and you're right, my perspective sucks. i stopped paying attention to the window five minutes into that pic. that was dumb. gotta work on that.

Spirit - thanks, that's what i'm trying to do right now, just go back and finish some old stuff. i don't really want to start anyhting new with school just starting cause i know i won't finish it and then i'll be mad at myself. ppbth.

Last edited by Lionsword; December 9th, 2010 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks
    Wow, these look great so far! That last guy is a great concept! But, seeing as he's that heavy on top and have those legs, shouldn't you think about adding a tail or wings or some sort of counterbalance? Just a suggestion.

I still love your values...

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkeydominator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    *drools* I wish I had as much control as you do over values, I tend to go too dark or light in places where I shouldn't! I love this last update too, you're doing an awesome job of finishing up your old pieces, well done!
    I like the robot/bug? concept thing! Sorry I'm not sure what it is xD Although I agree it does look topheavy, and like it would fall over from the weight, or the legs would buckle as they are too thin. I'd suggest something, but I think Monkey said what could be done very well there
    Great work!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Monkey - he is pretty topheavy, yeah. i went back and i have a new concept but it's not finished yet, so i'm not gonna post it till it's done. thanks though

Spirit - thanks! i'm trying my damdnest to finish them

still working on those old ones, i'll post them when i'm done.
    and what's this nonsense about control over values? piffle...>.<

Thanks
    *sigh* another crappy update.

Thanks
    It's great that you have a mix of value studies and sketchy pieces! These aren't crappy updates, they are great! It's always good to go back and finish older pieces, as it gives you a chance to see what you did, and imrpove on it and learn from that! I also like that your pages are always busy and full of nice concepts and sketches, I wish I could even match them! Keep going, you're doing great I'd post a longer comment, but I have to go and sort something out.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    edited

Thanks
    Pretty much done with this one.

Last edited by Lionsword; December 9th, 2010 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks
    Ooooh, I love those gesture studies! You managed to capture the gesture with very few lines, something which I just seem incapable of doing so far, well done! Your sketches are great and full of imagination, as usual never, ever stop doing those! Keep going with those gesture drawings, as they will do you so much good later down the line, as I'm sure you already know! I love this last piece too, the contrast in values makes it a really interesting piece, as well as the ideas and concepts of the piece itself keep up the goood work!

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    really cool sketchbool

47. The Following User Says Thank You to towy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I believe this is the first time I've done a life drawing in the bathroom. Yay firsts =)

Last edited by Lionsword; December 9th, 2010 at 05:37 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.