Sketchbook: Project --DOOM-BOOK-- update-11.04.07 EXCUSES
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Project --DOOM-BOOK-- update-11.04.07 EXCUSES

Just decided to start a new thread for my sketches, as I hadn't posted in the old thread in such a long time, so it is dead to me just as it is dead to you. Here are some things I've done recently, going for more of a "Make a line without taking the pen off the paper and leave it whether its right or not" kinda idea to them. All my girlfriend, whom is kind enough to sit still when I ask her.

I'm also considering where I should post the chronicles of two projects I'm working on, one being work for a comic/graphic novel story (for fun) and one for a cartoon I'm making development for (for pitching). I'm sure sketches will make it in here regardless, but does anyone think it would be a bad idea to post the chronicles in here, or should I put those in their own WIP thread?

Or does anyone even care?

Hah, anyway, hopefully somebody enjoys these, they were done relatively quickly.

-MajinPunisher

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by majinpunisher; November 4th, 2007 at 02:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SWEET andy--i really dig the new style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    also, these are mostly complete scene/grounded drawings--i got to get back to that...im back to the habit of drawing floating doodles again...

how you been andy?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blankslatejoe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More Images

Joeeeee - Thanks I'm glad you dig the life drawings(I'm channeling AndyP's viking spirit when I do them this way). I'm trying to do them quick, as I said, and just make a line and leave it, though sometimes I have to draw in another line to try and get a shape that works better, which is fine, other than me being dissappointed some by some of the leftover lines, but in a way they still kind of work sometimes. I'll try and work more on the backgrounds, its kind of nice to draw background stuff and not worry about it being correct. THough, I should do some perspective drawings for excersize.

These next images are for one of the two projects I mentioned in my last post. These are the early concept drawings I've been doing for the main character in a comic I want to do for fun/relaxation, called "Astro Vaquero", about migrant hispanic workers mining on mars. COPYRIGHT ANDY WILKINSON 2007! (Though I thought of it a few years ago - before that muse song came out, but you bet your ass I listen to that song while I'm drawing/writing it).

I'll be posting the concepts for my animated idea soon I guess, but I'll probably need to start threads for both of these projects elsewhere.

Thanks for looking and C&Cing, those of you bro's that do.

-MajinPunisher

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Hey I was wondering if you could tell me about your life drawings of your girlfriend, like what ink you used and perhaps take step by step pics on how you get to the final stage? i.e construction before skethcing then inking or whatever. its EXACTLY what i want to achieve stylistically.

Thanks,
    G."

Giuseppe - In response to your question, which curiously isn't showing up on the post, just in the email CA sent me, there is no under drawing. No pencil drawings either. I'm Drawing in a moleskine sketchbook, not the smallest size, but the next size up, and I used a Hi-Tec C pen (size .4), and a micron (size .03). THere may have been a Pilot Precise V7 in there too, but the bigger ink pens were just used to thicken up the lines.

Like I said, the idea is to just hit the ground running with the pens, and look back and forth a lot at the subject and your paper, and make lines, trying to make longer strokes, or put the pen down and make the mark, without taking the pen off the paper. Sometimes I screw up, and make a mark thats too long, or the wrong shape, but for the most part, I just leave it. A lot of friends from College draw this way, especially a friend here on the forums named "AndyP" (his sketchbook rocks, check it out). A lot of people try this out for drawing, a few teachers from college recommended it to me too. I've always hated it, but I'm starting to like it, because even if the drawing is out of perspective, or the proportions are wrong, you can get a pretty neat lookin sketch/drawing out of it. Hope that helps.

Edit-no underdrawing for the drawings of my girlfriend. You can see the red pencil lines I made for my Astro Vaquero character though.-

-MajinPunisher

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome back to the fold brother, good to see a familiar face posting.
    Like I said before I'm really diggin the life drawings. The posture in each one looks great and you're really rockin the hands. And you're getting Laura's likeness pretty well too, especially on those last two. The only other important thing is to just keep doing tons of em and keep em quick.
    And the space cowboy is sick as well, this one rules ass. Do you have any story ideas for him yet?
    Keep postin, honky!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, kick ass drawings, can't wait for the next batch.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AndyP - Thanks dude. I'm tryin' hard to keep 'em fast. Did two mirror drawings - you saw them when you were down here, definitely not happy with them. But I might post them anyway. Not sure how I feel about posting bad stuff.
    Bojee - Many thanks for the comment, I'm a big fan of your book. Very excellent stuff you have going on there.

Small update. i'm working on 3 different things at once (life drawings, Astro Vaquero concepts, and other preproduction work for that cartoon I keep mentioning). Actually, 4 projects if you count a 3d project I started months ago. Anyway, hopefully I'll be throwing my toon drawings up soon for everyone to rip into. Comment away on these random sketchbook jobs.

-MajinPunisher

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, lets think about hands....hey i got a tree growing out of my head! Great pages, I think you know which ones caught my eye.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bojee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice lines! the top 5 are fantastic!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hummdrumm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm lovin your pen style, especially in the first post. Thanks for stopping by my SB.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to FactorZero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bojee - Thanks, when I'm doing life ref I always end up doing some hand drawings, either as a warm up or because I'm boring/lazy and my left hand is always sitting there not doing anything. Thanks for checking in!
    hummdrumm - Many thanks! I'll stop by your thread.
    FactorZero - Thanks a lot, no problem and thanks for stopping by mine!

Now images. I have been TERRIBLE about posting - I've been doing a lot of writing/video-game-playing (Portals freaking rules. SO does Bioshock. And Guitar Hero 3, gonna try TF2 today.) in my spare time and a lot of flash/actionscripting in my work time. But, excuses excuses. I'll get some of the pre-work for my toon idea I'm working on (and writing, that's what that writing is, a script!) up here one of these days, but here's some life pen drawings since you guys have been so encouraging me to do those! Thanks again, all comments welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hot stuff, hot stuff. These new lines all look great. I like that you're incorporating some background in them too, this one works really well. Treating the entire page like a single composition can be a lot of fun. Just keep up with the posts and try and keep em quick.
    Also, you got Guitar Hero?! Aw damn, it's on. Is Dragon Force in the new one?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little splash of watercolor would look nice on these..

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.