CHOW#88 - Guest Host:Mime Topic: the fly breeder - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CHOW#88 - Guest Host:Mime Topic: the fly breeder

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maggots become flies right?
    so i thought about a war amputee with maggots on his wounds...
    surrounded by his beloved companions He is known as

"The Fly Breeder"

Last edited by ACRO; September 14th, 2007 at 03:50 PM.

CHECK ME OUT
    & ILL RETURN THE FAVOR

www.myspace.com/acroart
    ^^MYSPACE^^
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102221
    ^^SKETCHBOOK^^

AIM/AOL SCREENAME: ACRO IS ILL
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Critiques - Cuz This Thread Lacks It

Poojipoo - Great Start - Love What You Got So Far; The Cartoon Mood Really Makes Your Image Fun 2 Look At... Hope You Drop A Final... Decided To Critique Because Feedback 2 My Picture Above Is Appreciated

Newman - Sick - Final I Peeped It And I Love The Detail... Any Refrences Used? From The Reflection The Window 2 The Knocked Down Chair... Great Job Like Always... The Food Tray Looks Sick Man... At First I Didnt Like The Scrathes Around The Image But It Sunk In And Now I Like It Haha...decided To Critique Because Feedback 2 My Picture Above Is Appreciated

Jockemon - Cool Start 2 I Want To See Progress! Ps I Like Fly Reaching His Chest Sick!... Decided To Critique Because Feedback 2 My Picture Above Is Appreciated

Dabble - Not Sure Whats Going On Yet... Progress Shot Is What I Want To See So Drop It Soon...

Metal Mike - Looks Scary But Good Action Pose... Cant Wait To See Progression

Complete 2 - I Really Like Your Drawing - Cool Colors.. Whats With The Crown Over His Head In The Explination Of Your Drawing You Didnt Mention So I Was Curious What You Were Trying To Achieve... I Can Only Make Out A Few Flies.... Decided To Critique Because Feedback 2 My Picture Above Is Appreciated

Troywilkerson - Like The Birds Eye View.... Progress Shots Would Help Clear That Mess On His Lap Haha... Nice Drawing Though Forreal...

Dan Valkar - I Like Your Image 2 But I Do Not Get The Arm Behind Him Because He Looks Like An Amputee Haha Great Concept Wit The Frog Because They Eat Insects Such As Flies... Progress Shot Would Be Helpful For Us 2 See What You Have Going... Decided To Critique Because Feedback 2 My Picture Above Is Appreciated

Rdsarna - I Love The Concept Very Similar To Another Entry By Sony On Page 2..... Update Is Needed For Me To Talk More About Your Image Ya Dig? Decided To Critique Because Feedback 2 My Picture Above Is Appreciated

Rick K - I Like Your Drawing But The Flies Dont Look To Much Like Flies Yet.. .thought I Might Point That Out... Non The Less Love The Idea And Concept You Have So Far..... He Controls The Swarm Of Flies? Fav Part Is His Left Hand; Looks Like He Is Controlling The Swarm Beneath... Update Is A Must... Decided To Critique Because Feedback 2 My Picture Above Is Appreciated

Zeitgeist - The Pyramid Head Haha I Like It A Lot But Not Feelin The Head 2 Much Because Its Been Done Before And You Should Of Decided To Stay Away Non The Less Your Line Drawing Looks Really Fresh... Decided To Critique Because Feedback 2 My Picture Above Is Appreciated

The Whistler - One Of My Favorite Concepts... 4 Arms Haha... Her Smile Makes Me Think She Is Not A Serious Superhero In That Outfit.... Hope 2 See It Finished ....

Kreator - Sick Man Big Difference From Black And White To Color
    Im Still Confused How You Are Able To Color Over The Blackand White Beneath... I Tried Adding Layer On Top Of Black And White Then Add Multiply Or Overlay....... Is That How You Colored It? Sick Though Really Like Your Characters Design And His Action Pose!........ Decided To Critique Because Feedback 2 My Picture Above Is Appreciated

Lewis - I Really Hate Where You Put Your Name And Chow 88 On Your Image Almost Takes Away From Everything Else You Have Going On... Wip Shot Looks Cool Haha I Just Remmebered I Seen It In The Final...

Dierat - Update Your Pic... Not Sure Whats Goin On Yet... By The Way Cool Backstory... Thoughtout Well I See....

Fuuryoku - Sick Bro Love The Design And Her Bug Arms But What Does She Breed In The Wip Shot I Dont See Any Flies? Coloring So Far Is Sick Great Strokes I Can Easily See How You Colored.... .really Like The Effect Of The Stuff That Spilled From Her Botttom..... Decided To Critique Because Feedback 2 My Picture Above Is Appreciated

Timothee - Love The Design Yo Damn Haha My Fav Is His Mouth And Wings Because Of The Detail That Stands Out... Great Job Like Always The Backstory Is Strong As Well.... Decided To Critique Because Feedback 2 My Picture Above Is Appreciated

Lenorekitty - Ya Nice Backstory Is Bugged Out Haha Update Commin Soon Or What?

Wendigo - I Like The Idea Of The Flies Coming Out Of His Mouth... Rendered Nicely I Think This Would Make A Cool Image... Progress Shot Is What I Want To See!!!!!!

Moonskinned - I Like This Shit But I Dont Think His Legs Should Be Together Looks To Symetric And You Have Great Coloring Technique... Very Cool Design So Far... But I Hate Your Parallel Legs ...

Foxinshocks - I Like Your Image As Of Now But It Doesnt Look Done.... Maybe The Flies Should Be More Noticeable By The Way I Dont Get Your Quote When You Said "does Not Read Fine Print" I Like The Girls Back Though - Sick....decided To Critique Because Feedback 2 My Picture Above Is Appreciated

Schade - Sick Render ... Dont Like How Blurry His Knees Look Compared To His Hands And Face.... The Fly Behind Him Looks Sick 2 ... Love The Detail On The Head!

Sony - Rdsarna Had A Similar Idea With The Waiter Holding Trays... I Like Yours Though I Cant Really Make Out Any Flies... Is That Suppose To Be Flies Or The Smelll Of Dead Meat? Thought I Mention Cuz I Was Curious... Decided To Critique Because Feedback 2 My Picture Above Is Appreciated

CHECK ME OUT
    & ILL RETURN THE FAVOR

www.myspace.com/acroart
    ^^MYSPACE^^
    ^^SKETCHBOOK^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    may tweek it....any thoughts/crits welcomed;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Acro: Those are human sized fly pupae she's laying. I guess it's prolly somethine most people haven't seen but they're an intermediate step between maggots and flies. the maggot is protected during the change to it's adult form by the hard purple brown shell. I wanted to imply she's stockpiling them for some nasty purpose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sick bro love the idea like your drawing even better
    maybe 1 fly will not question the fact she is a fly breeder?

any critique on my piece?

daveneale - sick foreshortening - is that a masquito? - where is that light source commin from? might be a doorway but looks its commin from the hand or pinky
    critique on my work is appreciated pz

CHECK ME OUT
    & ILL RETURN THE FAVOR

www.myspace.com/acroart
    ^^MYSPACE^^
    ^^SKETCHBOOK^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ACRO, cheers dude....yeah it was an exersize in forshortening for me....good practice...and its kind of a mozquito....basically I based it on a fly that I found in my house that had died, but the legs had kinda fallen off so I used a mosquito as ref for the legs.

And as for a crit on yours: some of the elements work for me, some less so...the maggoty leg is sweet (is that a photo?)...and I like his pose (esp the hand), there is something about the perspective that bugs me though....the downward sloping cabin wall drags your eye out of the image. I'd also be carefull using the stock grass brush...either make your own, or try infereing the grass with some well placed strokes. Keep at it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face buzz buzz!

Right...well. As mentioned I was going to give this a go! But Christ, this was one hell of a hard topic! Nice on Mime... you killed my brain! Anyway heres mine, I must admit, I really really have struggled.

Musca is new super villain. She's been trying harder than ever to perfect her mind control techniques. However... so far she can only control the common household Fly.... so she breeds them in their millions to control enough to use them as a force against her foes!

"I'm a damsel, I'm in distress, I can handle this! Have a nice day."

...Some sort of sketchbook...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I guess since ACRO was nice enough to crit I will too. Excuse me if I miss any updates and crit an earlier one.

poojipoo:Very... cute not at all what I expected from this topic. She kinda looks like she's about to fall off that fly, and it also has mandibles instead of that sucky thing? Her hands aren't too fantastic but you posted ages ago so you might have fixed them.
    newman: That is amazing. What a sweet idea, she even looks a bit like Alice in Wonderland with all that blue and white. You probably know this but the heads of the onlookers (parents?) are kinda flat looking. I had to study the thing to find anything to crit.
    Jockemon: Can't say much about it at this stage, but I like the fly children. The perspective makes it look like one of the ropes holding the guy is much longer than the other.
    dabble: Once again, not much to say. That helmet looks kinda cool.
    MeTal-Mike: I like the idea but that pose is a bit silly looking, like she's doing the Monster Mash or something.
    zeitgeist: You are my new hero. I like your concept the best so far, very creepy. There's nothing I can say about it that won't make me look like an idiot so keep up the good work
    complete2:Very nice work, atmosphere's really good. Maybe you need to lighten the corner with the corpse though, I couldn't tell what it was until you explained it in your post. I don't understand the crown.
    Troy Wilkerson: Not much to say... looking good I guess but I don't get where the fly breeder part comes in. ATM he just looks like a hobo.
    Dan Valkar: There's some nice design going on here but the forshortening on both arms is a little weird.
    Rick K: I guess he's being carried up by the flies? Not so easy to tell without a background. Good character design. Both hands need some work.
    The Whistler: She seems like a pretty lousy fly-superhero if she's keeping 4 flies in 2 little jars. let them be free!
    Kreator: Sweet. No crits.
    Lewis: Very cool but his eyes could have more impact, and maybe the teeth too though I don't know if you want to push that.
    Dierat: TL;DR. The head thing is nice but your face needs to be redone. Maybe include some more fly-like stuff as well.
    fuuryoko: That is... incredibly disturbing. Well done. Those larva things behind her could use a little more polish though, they don't look finished.
    Timothee: Wings don't look very translucent and you could definitely push the shading more, at the moment it doesn't really look like you have a defined light source.
    Lenore: Meh, nothing in particular wrong, just doesn't look very interesting right now. Oh and it looks like his right hand is going through the jar.
    Moonskinned: Very cute and original, I really like the colours and his extra arm-wing-thing.
    Schade: U r pro, I'm not worthy.
    Sony: Excellent apart from the hands, and very slick design. The platter in his left hand looks like it's floating though, you need to move his hand back under it.
    ACRO: He's not really sitting like a man with one leg, if that makes sense. He kinda looks like he's about to topple over, because his left arm is stuck way out and he has no leg on that side to balance it, but he's not doing anything with the other side to counterbalance. I can also tell that you used shaped PS brushes for a lot of the repetitive stuff, especially the flies. They're all identical size and shape, regardless of which surface they're on. at least put them in perspective. The grass is less noticeable but it is still pretty obvious.

About the crit you gave me, I'm not sure what you mean about the flies.. they already take up alot of the screen? I guess I should push them further.

I'm bad at sketchbooks, have a tumblr!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Acro: Thanks for the input man. Yeah, the flies were just laid in with the closest brush I had. I just needed to see the form of the swarm since it's a wip. Yeah he's controlling them.
    About your pic, I think it would be cool if he looked like he was in pain, or laying back more. He's too chill for someone missing a leg Cool idea tho.

---------------
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ACRO View Post

Complete 2 - I Really Like Your Drawing - Cool Colors.. Whats With The Crown Over His Head In The Explination Of Your Drawing You Didnt Mention So I Was Curious What You Were Trying To Achieve... I Can Only Make Out A Few Flies.... Decided To Critique Because Feedback 2 My Picture Above Is Appreciated
    i agree, not many crits here yet. i personally haven't had time, work has been insane lately.
    the crown was my own personal thought when i was doing the original sketch: "...lord of the flies..."
    so in a way i think my character considers himself as such.
    im glad you asked. i wasn't going to explain if you hadn't. to me that wasn't a huge factor to his story, but more of a way he sees himself. a subconscious thing.

anyway, about your piece:
    first thing that jumps out at me is that the perspective on just about everything is off... you really notice it on the wall in the bkg. none of those lines are going to a set vanishing point.
    ok, the stone portions:
    you did a little better on perspective here, but the texture is too much the same. that foreground piece is the exact same tone as the stone behind it, so it really chops up the piece visually, it doesn't LOOK like its in front of everything else. if i were you, i'd find photos of concrete and transform them to fit the perspective. if you're dead set on painting it, then that would help you with a visual reference. so either way you win.
    but personally, i think that you're going for a more cartoon style, so i wouldn't even have the stone texture in there at all. i would do a more solid color "graphic" version of stone. right now it looks like the photoshop coulds filter.
    btw, blood is a LOT darker than that.
    get a razor blade, cut open the top of your finger between the knuckles, then rub the blood on a piece of paper. scan it in and put it in your piece. THEN you'll have the colors right. haha

just kidding, but definately make it darker, more red and not so pink. it should be closer to maroon
    the character:
    those colors are pretty vibrant... thats supposed to be camouflage right? most camo i've seen has been greens, browns and blacks. think of his environment, he has to blend in with that, i dont know of any places where neon orange camo would help you blend in...

anyway, thats all i have time for now
    must go back to work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to get rid of my first concept and I'm working on another. Here are a few WIP pictures, hopefully I'll be able to complete this as I have it invisioned.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the feedback, will post my own C+C tomorow.

i changed the legs after your suggestion ACRO, made them represent a flies legs. and also fiddled with the colours a little.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Still WIP

I didnt work on the flies yet, but It's getting there.

Good job guys.
    Schade: that is pimp.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ---------------
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FoxinShocks- thanx for the crit...the hand is a bit wonky...Im actually not going to continue this one...chow that is ... I was thinking about the topic cause I was bored...and doodled the kid in my lecture class and thought I would post him up with a "normal" discription...I just thought it would be different....and some what funny...so yeah...

Last edited by Lenorekitty; September 15th, 2007 at 01:44 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zeitgeist sorry i didnt see your comment before now.yes they come out of his abdomen.Cheers.I am looking foward to seeing your rendering.

ACRO wow, u really make an effort to crit.very admirable.
    With my technique over black and white,well this changes a lot. for darker toned pieces,
    the technique you mentioned is sound, but saturaton is an issue,so work under an adjustment layer for saturation.and for highlights use a soft light layer.then flatten and paint normally, for finishing.
    again there are other techniques but that is guided by the tone.
    the general rule is, regardless digital or trad., is have a solid underpainting or in your case solid line work(better done on paper first and scanned),with values(this means light sources and shadows as well)!! roughed in fairly decently. then adding colour and texture is the fun bit that really brings art to life.
    I would have to know your current workflow to be able to fully crit your work.one thing i will say is that it is definately progressing since i saw your first piece.Thanx

FoxinShockssweet thanx. your piece definately has a graphic novel style to it.its coming along nicely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Heyyo

Hey, I am brand new to the CHOW, and I have something I'm not totally sure about.
    Do I post my picture in this thread, and then get permission to put it in the FINAL BURNING thread, or do I just put my final picture in the FINAL BURNING thread?
    Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to submitting my entry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ACRO: Quiet a coincidence, I might be updating the a little bit detail in flies to enhance more clarity about the flies other than that I will be moving his hand upward to so that he seems to be holding the plate not floating. Yes, itís the smell and flies.
    FoxinShocks: Thanks for liking my work. Yes I will be fixing this issue thanks for pointing out.
    Newman: I like the theme for your character, really well illustrated, nice work
    Complete2: nice twist in the story
    Kreator: Wow man
    Lenorekitty: I liked the story; I think you need to work on the expression of the kid
    maxbadger: you can post your entry in this thread for getting critique and when you think you are with your design and concept, then post it in Final Burning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW that's great everyone, I didn't think so much cool ideas would pop up when I thought about this subject !

I especially love Newman, Schade, Daray, Lenorekitty and complete2

I wish I could find some time to draw something, but I'm already ultra late on some comissioned work, I fear I won't be able to produce anything this week, I hope I'll be able to work on more CHOWs in the future !
    Keep up the great work guys this is awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sony: I dont know if Ill be able to finish this one...I just wanted to post the doodle of this kid....cause I thought it was interestng that nobody had explored that option yet...(being a kid) anyway thanx for the comment...I should do more drawings of his face...maybe later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FoxinShocks: Thanks for the crit man. Yeah, I usually fix up the finer details, like the hands, in later stages- as long as I have an idea of their position in the sketch. In my last post they look good to me, but I would love some feedback with fresh eyes on it.
    I like your pic a lot. The rendering and colors are sweet.

Moonskinned: Nice pic man. It's pretty unique-cool stuff.

---------------
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa!
    i havent looked at this all week
    \some reallly nice work so far guys
    and it seems i am not very unique in my idea hahahahahah
    i pryed myself away from work for a couple of hours to do this so
    heres my wip
    ill finish tomorrow

hope you folks like it
    flys coming
    the basic prewmise is he cuts off layers of his own skin to breed maggots and by feeding on him they get some sort of mutant dna that allows him to control them
    the tentacle thing is a way of communicating through light and movement
    doesnt make much sense but then again flys are not communal insects so i suppose he would have to somehow address that problem to make em work together no?
    maybe a lil spliced bee dna hahaha
    i approached him kinda like an MGS boss random powers that dont make sense but still rule hahahah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the feedback all, hopefully have mine finished on time. heres my crits:

trevor:
    awesome rendering skills. really makes me want to know more about the character and his origins, cant wait to see the finished product.

rick-k:
    i like the pose and solid painting style. Kinda reminds me of riddick from pitch black, but thats probably because of the bald guy/goggles combination.

wendigo:
    i prefer this one to your first, nice solid line. The only thing i dont like is that his pose dosnt look natural, maybe offset the arms so they are not parralel.

daray:
    really nice energetic pose, cant wait too see colours (if your adding them )

daveneale:
    amazing foreshortnening, and visual storytelling. The only thing im not sure about is where the lightsource is coming from, it looks like a door in the wall, but it conflicts with his hand.

ACRO:
    cool concept and probably the most disturbing so far :p. I think the texture of the rock and wood draws too much attention away form the character, try focusing your detail in the areas you want people too look at, and keeping the details elsewhere to a minimum.

sony:
    very unique colouring style, and i love seeing the thumbnails the fingers look a bit flat to me, and the right plate is floating a bit. I love his glowing eyes

lenorekitty:
    gorgous pencil work and interesting character.

timothee:
    nice solid design. maybe try some harder shadows directly under his feet though, as he looks a bit floaty on the background at the moment.

fuuryoku:
    very cool painting style and nice concept, reminds me of magic the gathering cards for some reason.

dierat:
    really like your concept. maybe try changing the position of her left arm though as it looks a little awkward at the moment.

lewis:
    very energetic peice, reminds me of ben templesmiths work. the only thing im not too keen on is the solid black dots, they look too clean compared to the grittyness of the other parts.

kreator:
    very very cool. I love the fly holes in its chest and the dark colour scheme.

the whistler:
    good start. try not to put stuff front on (like the arm holding the jar) as it ruins the silhouete, and confuses the linework.

zeitgeist:
    really really nice linework, and strong design. Although as others have pointed out, it reminds me alot of the pyramid head from silent hill.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Acro, Foxinshocks and moonskinned thank you guys very very much for the constructive crits. Theyre spot-on, and if i might find the time ill edit my drawing.

BTW i see some finished pics here that arent posted in the Final burning thread. It would be a shame if they didnt participate!

Cheers, Lewis

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 775 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't been working on mine at all, but I hope to work on it/develop it sometime on my own, so thanks Acro, Foxinshocks and moonskinned for the suggestions! And good luck everyone

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I was out of town for two days so I couldn't finish the sketch. Next week, hopefully

Sketchbook .... Blog .... DevArt .... Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

gotta post a wip nextime to get some feedback.

just posted on the finished section.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Villa View Post
    gotta post a wip nextime to get some feedback.

just posted on the finished section.
    Same here.

And here's some instant feedback for you: awesome work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres mine in the burner too

Old and alone just the butterflies keep him from the cold and the dark

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My finished is up! I gotta get in to the habit of putting up more WIPs.

Great work, everyone, really cool stuff. I'm particularly fond of Trevor's and Villa's, I can really imagine those characters coming to life. For some reason Trevor's reminds me of the recent boss introduction videos for Metal Gear Solid 4.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my final is up
    thanks for the kind words folks! see you at the polls

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1