good scanner for drawings, artwork, books and stuff?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

good scanner for drawings, artwork, books and stuff?

Mornin' folks...

I'm looking for a new general purpose scanner that'll hopefully scan all sorts of stuff from drawings and artwork to pages from books (and sketchbooks), small 'flat-ish' objects, fabric, card and photos.

I'm currently using a Canon Lide35, which has never been particularly good at scanning my drawings.

So i want a new scanner that can:

1. Make an excellent job of drawings, in B&W and colour (for col-erase and coloured pencil drawings).

2. Make a good job of colour artwork (for bringing painted stuff into CS2 and Painter)

3. Make a decent job of scanning photos.(scanning negs would be a bonus, but i'm not too arsed)

4. I often need to scan stuff that's bigger than A4 in sections, so i'd like the plastic body of the scanner to be as flush as possible to the glass platen to drawings/artwork as flat and close to the glass as possible, so that i can scan the artwork in sections without getting nasty shadows.

5. It needs a generously hinged lid (that raises up, or even removes) so i can get books and sketchbooks onto the platen.

I'm happy to spend a bit of cash for a decent scanner without going too mad! For an idea where i can go to with my budget, I've been looking online at everything ranging from the very cheap Mustek A3 (low-price must be reflected in the quality of the scans?), to the Epson v700 (looks too film/photo orientated, not sure it'll scan thick stuff?). I don't want to spend more than i need to, but i don't want to get another scanner that doesn't quite do the job.

I need to get into a pooter store to have a look at some alternatives, but i live in the middle of nowhere, I'm dead busy and was wondering if any of you good folk had some relevant experiences with any suitable scanners. Basically, i want a good mutli-purpose scanner for a range of art tasks! (And i need it soon!)

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just got this one myself, works great, awesome quality scans-4800dpi, fast, easy operation, I recommend it.

but if money is not a problem then take a look at this.

J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JLAlfaro View Post
    Just got this one myself, works great, awesome quality scans-4800dpi, fast, easy operation, I recommend it.

but if money is not a problem then take a look at this.
    Thanks JLAlfaro, but Haha! Money is definitely an issue!

I saw that big A3 Epson and it's £2000 sterling minimum over here (That's 4000 dollars in todays exchange rates!!?) That's more than my Mac G5 cost me!! It looks great though.... *sigh*

The Epson v700 is as high as I'd really like to go money-wise but i'd possibly go a little bit further for the perfect scanner! (The v700 is about £350 in the UK but i don't know much about it's reflective scanning). I wouldn't mind scanning a few negatives and slides, but it's artwork, books, fabric and objects i'm most interested in... So the v200's "High-rise lid that opens 180 degrees to scan 3D objects, books and magazines" sounds good.

I guess lids are something i need more info on!! (Can you get thick stuff under the Epson v700, 4990, 4490, v350 lids for instance? And how good are the scanners for drawings? Anyone got one of these models?)

I may need to take a trip to the city (with some drawings, sketchbooks and chunky things to try out)............

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I learned during years of colour management and prepress is that you don´t need a high-end scanner for most of the work, try a decent one, that costs maybe about 1.000 Euro like the Microtek Scanmaker i900 and get a hardware calibrated monitor. I´m using this scanner together with an EIZO CG210, calibrated with a simple Gretag EyeOne for neutral view. For A3 there´s the Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL costing about this price.

You can now easily set up profiles to cancel out most of the problems the scanner is making (e.g. most scanner tend to scan with too much red). You just need a bit of time and effort and you can set up actions too, to automatically rework the scanning results. This way you have good results with most but highend scanning and additionally have the benefit of calibrated work (what makes your printer happy).

Hope this could help

Fipse

Last edited by Fipse; September 10th, 2007 at 12:30 PM.
    <Insert witty remark here>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fipse View Post
    What I learned during years of colour management and prepress is that you donīt need a high-end scanner for most of the work, try a decent one, that costs maybe about 1.000 Euro like the Microtek Scanmaker i900 and get a hardware calibrated monitor.
    Hey Fipse, thanks for the info, but darn you if you haven't got me wonderin' about buying a much more expensive scanner. This one sounds great, partly because the reflective scanning area is actually quite a bit bigger than A4! (Microtek's A3 scanner is way out of my budget!!)

You said this is the scanner you have, what's the lid like for reflective scans? Does the hinge/lid allow for thick stuff like books?

Thanks for the info. (I couldn't change my monitor, because i'm using a Cintiq, but i do calibrate it regularly with a Spyder Pro and the colour seems pretty accurate)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got the Epson 4490 for making higher res scans of drawings and the occasional 35mm and 120 film scanning.

All I can say is the lid opens up real easy, and the scans are in a whole different ball park from what I had before. Colours are a lot, and I mean a lot richer with smoother (less digital-like) gradations between tones - and the detail is crazy.
    (end of commercial)...

I would love to have it in A3 size but I found a pretty good way of stitching my stuff together recently. It also needs to heat up the lamp in there so I do my scanning in batches so the scanner is warmed up. Once it is warmed up it scans immediately. My previous scanner would scan anything anytime, so I used to scan whenever I did one single sketch.

If I would be able to afford a scanner with similar image quality on A3 size then no doubt I would go for it. But image quality wise, all of those Epsons you mention will do the job very very well.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Tensai!

I've heard some good stuff about the 4490 and the 4990 and that they produce decent scans. It's good to hear that they make a good job of drawings, because i'll be scanning a lot of sketches.

Thanks for the comment on the lid too!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.