Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

ConceptArt mentors, anyone interested?

ConceptArt mentor-ship
    I want to know who is interested in getting some one-on-one mentoring.
    Basically, youd sign up to do and get some mentoring on your artwork.

amateur artist would get help from higher skilled artists and they(the higher skilled artist) in turn would get help from even higher skilled artists and so on...

You would have to be available via:
    (any one or a combination of: )
    email
    Instant Messenger
    Phone
    -Skype/yahoo/MSN/etc

The help,mentoring, would not only be about a particular piece of work-or getting critique- but rather all rounded; Art, business, tools of the trade, studying materials etc.

I would like to see how many people are interested in starting this. Please state on what you are interested on;
    getting mentored, mentoring someone or both.

thanks

-JL
    J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Interesting idea, but doesn't this already happen on this site all the time, albiet informally?

Thanks
    personally i would also think it would be best if as much information was publicly available through the forum. but thats just my opinion

Thanks
    Also something that could work. Go through sketchbooks, look for someone who is good, and has a flow in his work that looks like your own. PM him and ask if he would have time to mentor you, or if it would be oke if you could join him in his studies.

It worked for me, and also for some other people on CA.
    "Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Thanks
    I would love for someone know has more experience than me to mentor me.
    my msn is alexyouranim8@hotmail(dot)com

Thanks
    There are 2 people in particular I would like to mentor, but I don't really have preference for a mentor.

Thanks
    imo there is no real need for this since "mentoring" is what this whole site is about
    if you get along with someone you can help out just try to comment on most of his works and give crits in his SB

because from such things can arise friendship
    a mentor student relation might be a lot more distant
    my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    I agree with Infinite and dug..

Find someone you admire, and who inspires you, and PM them, or PM 5-6 people you know you will get a constructive critique; why not ask for a critique from someone in your sketch-group?

While mentoring is a great idea, it does require a lot of commitment, from both sides. And for mentor and pupil, it may be difficult...

The point of Ca.org is to share are information for creating art, if you cant find it here, then you are not looking properly...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    I agree wholeheartedly with the things mentioned here, that the way it is now is for the best. I believe that all work in progress pieces and crits from people should be open for everyone to see and read, because i've learned WAY more from reading crits given to other people on thisthan crits given directly to me. Even tho i've learned a lot from direct advice from helpful people (you know who you are, thanks!) the sheer volume of artwork and crits to and from other people outweighs that more specific crit. Chances are that you're making the very same mistakes as a lot of other artists, so if you read what people say about their work its not hard to apply at least some of that to your own stuff.

2c

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    This is a wonderful idea, JLAlfaro. I have one mentee of sorts at the moment, and Iím afraid I canít offer to take on more right now. I wouldnít mind having a mentor myself, but the students who are not yet in a job ought to get preference over me.

Being a mentor to someone doesnít have to preclude a general sharing of knowledge. Teaching is a great way to learn, and talking in private can accomplish things that talking in public canít.

Also, in mentoring younger members, there is the opportunity to help them plot career goals, education paths, and also help them with life issues unrelated to art.

If anyone is interested in mentoring without the art aspect, there is a program called icouldbe.org that might interest you.

Cheers!
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thank you seedling-thats great-wish I had you as a mentor..

I think the others missed the point- I know that this whole website/forum is about mentoring, but I did mention a "one-on-one" attention benefit which is not normally available through the forum posts.
    If you need critique for a certain piece then go right ahead and post it in the critique area by all means. But if you need help with your technique, a quick paintover, a more detailed explanation why something does not work etc...that is what a mentor is for. Tell me guys, when was the last time you gave some well thought out critique? When was the last time you gave some critique in the C+C area anyways?
    There are posts in there with one to a few replies with nothing more elaborate than a "work on your_", "it doesn't look right", "something is off"...well duh Mr Holmes thats why its freaking posted in there in the first place. I usually try to give some advice to one or two people, but its not the kind of advice that goes for a while. Thats why focusing on one person, might just expand the possibilities for that particular individual. I'm not saying "be off with the c+c area", just grab one person and help them out as they go, offer your detailed insights, paintovers and experiences with him/her. Whenever I post at the C+C area I get one or two replies with vague crits- or nothing more than a one liner. "cool man!" or "it sucks".

Slash, you got talent man- but if you were to tell me you couldn't benefit from some professional mentoring, then you are cockier than I) and theres a reason for that cock in my avatar)
    If say...Elwell decided to mentor you on your painting skills, one-on-one..would you turn it down?
    If say...Marko Dujfuckyouspellyourlastname-evick decided to mentor you on your character development...no thank you, I got it covered..?

I'm exaggerating here, but you get the point.

The best way to improve what your skills are, is to teach them to someone else- quote from unknown source

please continue to discuss
    -JL

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JLAlfaro View Post
    Slash, you got talent man- but if you were to tell me you couldn't benefit from some professional mentoring, then you are cockier than I) and theres a reason for that cock in my avatar)
    If say...Elwell decided to mentor you on your painting skills, one-on-one..would you turn it down?
    If say...Marko Dujfuckyouspellyourlastname-evick decided to mentor you on your character development...no thank you, I got it covered..?

I'm exaggerating here, but you get the point.

The best way to improve what your skills are, is to teach them to someone else- quote from unknown source

please continue to discuss
    -JL

I believe you're missing the point here, i'd be very happy to have one of the excellent people you mentioned as a mentor. (btw, its djur-dje-vic. ) And i would never say that i couldn't benefit from a mentor, because i really could, i'm not being cocky at all, sorry if it sounded like that.

But it would be best if that mentoring would take place in some open thread, like a sketchbook thread, so all the valuable advice would be available for others to benefit from as well. Because as i mentioned earlier, i've learned a metric fuckton from reading people's crit on other people's work. I wouldnt know a lot of the stuff i do today if all that advice was passed on during one on one sessions away from the public. And i know i'll continue to learn a lot that way. (In addition to direct crits on my work, litterature and just a lot of practice of course...

The best way to improve what your skills are, is to teach them to someone else-
    Yep, thats very true. I try to teach people what little i know in irc every day, and it has helped me improve my own work a lot.

//edit: Just to clarify where i stand, I wouldnt mind a more formal way of mentoring, in fact i think it would have been awesome, but i also think its really important that none of the invaluable information is hidden away from the public.
    Last edited by Slash; September 10th, 2007 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks
    there has been some discussion of this going around. On Irc there are several informal mutual mentoring relationships. It was particcularly discussed as a way to help new members understand the oppropriate behaviors on the forums.
    and gather an understanding of what the forums are good for.

and if Elwell wants to MENTOR me.... well WOOT! But I expect he has his hands full.. and I am not worthy.

there is a good deal of mentor behavior in thr girl forum. although I suppose thats just helpin out the sistahs. and there are certain sketch groups that are very active in helping one another.

I don't know that a formal setup is nessisary. But I think encouraging this on an informale basis is great. It might be nice to have a set of guide lines
    availabel for any one that wanted to pursue a more formal mentor mentee relationship...

chaos
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    What would be in it for the person at the top of the chain, who would only be freely training future rivals?

Thanks
    Well dashinvaine, as was quoted earlier, you improve your own skills by teaching them to others.

And i believe android said something along the lines that at every workshop he always emptied his bag of tricks and secrets, that way he would have to figure out something new for the next one.

So basically, personal growth from teaching others what you know. Does that answer your question? (plus, it feels good to help someone, espescially if you've followed this person for a while and see how they improve over time, i've seen this a lot in irc and it warms my frozen heart.. )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash View Post
    But it would be best if that mentoring would take place in some open thread, like a sketchbook thread, so all the valuable advice would be available for others to benefit from as well.
    I think this could work nicely, too. It all depends on what works best for each mentee/mentor pair. A good combination of public and private communications would probably suit most folks around here.

Quote Originally Posted by JLAlfaro View Post
    wish I had you as a mentor..
    Aww, now Iím blushing.

Quote Originally Posted by dashinvaine View Post
    What would be in it for the person at the top of the chain, who would only be freely training future rivals?
    Iím by no means at the top of the food chain, but Iíve been doing my best to train an army of rivals. What do I get out of it? Primarily, the satisfaction of helping others. Secondarily, the long-term possibility of bringing in new coworkers who wonít need quite as much on-the-job training as the current generation. And also secondarily, the experience of teaching, because I havenít ruled out teaching as a career move sometime down the line. And again secondarily, making professional connections. Sharing a lot of knowledge can get you attention from like-minded people. Lastly, but not least, learning. By explaining what I know, I am better able to identify the gaps in my knowledge and adopt strategies for filling those gaps.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Warm feelings of love that you only feel while drinking hot peppermint starbucks on christmas and joy inside that you taught little ducklings that couldn't fly how to fly.

As it was said before one of the best ways to learn is to teach. But aside from that, being in a community its not always about getting stuff.

Helping "potential competition" shouldnt be reason not to teach and share. Thats whats awesome about what we love doing, it's limitless. As long as you practice it you keep improving. Its like world of warcraft with no level limitations at all. You can be like level 9283298392 by the time you die. Aside from that, if everyone who was on the "top of the chain" a few decades back didnt teach the youngins and newbies because they might be as good if not better, then we would never learn and we would never advance. There would be no movements, and if it were the case hundreds of years ago, we might not even know anatomy now.

Besides competition is good. It pushes you. Especially friendly ones,because no matter how huge the gap is in terms of skill or experience you can learn from either.

EDIT: slash and seedling pretty much explained it all

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dashinvaine View Post
    Admiration, gratitude, become someone's hero, they would probably link all your work from their sites and always help promote you. And how about the things you would get from yourself for doing it? Like, self accomplishment when you see your person progress and enjoyment from making a closer friend via a remote medium of communication.

The list could be long I suppose, but the question you asked is almost like why is there a big brother program in the inner city or why is there a YMCA.

I personally would probably be forever in debt to someone who helped me better my skills and would go to battle for that person as long as they needed me too. But if that isn't enough and you want the dollars then work that out with whom you are selling your services to, but you will not be a mentor. Whatever works for you.

The Day-glo Pterodactyls
    Dierat ~ Leo Ki ~ Volchiha ~ Zweit ~ wilkerson

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    A good way to keep track of progress (for the rest of us) of the mentoree, would be to post an original drawing, followed by the improvements, paintovers, etc given to him/her by the mentor. Until the image reaches its maturity.

If the mods would get in on this, it would be ideal. as there could be a special area open to CAorgers with all the mentoring posts- just an idea.
    J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    I would suggest bench marks to make sure both are not wasting their time with someone not truly committed. If they start falling off track and you do not see that it is a even effort on both sides then the Mentor or the mentee should have a way of backing out with no love loss. Real life happens.

The Day-glo Pterodactyls
    Dierat ~ Leo Ki ~ Volchiha ~ Zweit ~ wilkerson

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    It sounds like a nice idea to me - I'd certainly like to be mentored. I think it'd lend itself to much better and more useful crits.

Thanks
    I dont know. Maybe just ask the artist to say something more than a critique on your page. Ive really listen to the critiques people have given me so I can work on them, thats one. And there was a time me and Kevin Ferarra was talking about Critiques in one of the off topic forums and I ask him to give the biggest critique. So he did. It was huge and I hate to read. (I didn't read half the comments in this threads ). But it was great. It was something everybody could take in. So I would just say, go ask them.

Thanks
    I would be supremely interested in being mentored. I feel like I've got so many quirks about the way I approach things that I might need a little personal assistance. I think having someone with more experience who is paying close attention to my progress over a period of time would help me a lot. I'd also like to mentor someone starting out, but I'm not sure how useful I'd be.

Thanks
    There's alot a mentor can do for you...
    Sketchbooks and crits center is great, but it's also alot nicer to have a mentor who has a better understanding of your art as a whole and your direction as an artist. The though part is, the amoutn of people who'd like mentors on here and the amount of people who are professionals, that want to mentor someone and have the time to do so.

I say if you have the opportunity to have someone metor you, than by all means go for it, it's a great way to galvanize the learning process.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    sounds like a good idea to me. id love to help anyone i can as best i can. not sure how much of a elp i would be tho. and i could really use any elp i can get too.
    never updated sketchbook

hopefully weekly updated blog

Thanks
    I'd be interesting in both being mentored and in mentoring someone else, if they feel they have something to learn from me.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Well if this is to take off, I would very much like some help. Doesn't neccessarily have to be in depth, but a knowledgable and helpful eye every once and a while would defenitely be appreciated, especially since I've felt like I've been in a rut for a month now...

Thanks
    I would love to be mentored. I feel like I get stuck so many times with digital painting, no matter how many tuts I read up on.
    People say all the time that my pencils look like someone else did them in comparison to my digital stuff. So pencil work would be the only thing I could probably mentor on, but the rest I would definitely love to learn from someone who knows what the hell they're doing.

Thanks
    *jumps up and waves hands* mentor meeeeeeeee

*cough*

Thanks
    I'd love to have a mentor too. I have been having the worst time trying to push my stuff to a next level; there is something I don't see and haven't been understanding and I think if I were to have a mentor, I'd be able to get the one on one experience I really need. My only problem would be time. After this month I'm pretty much free, but September is just so full for me now it's ridiculous.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast