Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Arish in the Mirror

Thanks

Arish in the Mirror

Ok so I thought I'd try to do my self-portrait as often as possible, starting with ink pen to get used to drawing from sight & then gradually moving on to other mediums (charcoal, pastel, etc) to see what works best. Farvus, Bhrazz and MidgardSerpent, and of course Android, inspired me to do this with their great work and dedication...

Anyways here is attempt #1, from Sept. 5:

Arish in the Mirror

I don't have a handheld mirror at my place yet (just put it on my shopping list) so I drew this standing up at my bathroom mirror... was having trouble holding up the sketchbook which is probably why I look so grumpy. Also hated not being able to erase my mistakes.

Attempt #2, from today:

Arish in the Mirror

Drew this when I just woke up, I didn't brush my hair because it looked so cute this way I also became about 10 years younger in the last 3 days... The funny thing is, I drew this one with a shitty 15 cent Bic pen I grabbed from my desk and I like the results much better than with the nice pen I used on Day One. The jaw is a bit too big and I made my face slightly larger than it's supposed to be on the right, but for some reason this pose makes me think of Daniel Radcliffe in the Harry Potter movie poster... minus the scar of course.

Both sketches took about 15 - 20 mins.

C & C appreciated, I already spot many mistakes with these two but I'm wondering which ones are obvious to everyone else. Obviously these were done very quickly, I'm planning to be more polished with future entries...

Here is a photo of myself for reference:

Arish in the Mirror

I will post one in pencil next in a few days.

[ Edit : Thumbnail (June 25, 2010)]
    Last edited by Arish; June 26th, 2010 at 12:38 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 753 Posts
    Hey. That's a good start.

I like the second self portrait. Maybe beacause this simple shading shows the structure of the face well.
    I'm not sure about the lenght of your eyebrows. They could be a bit longer but maybe the glasses slightly changed some proportions of your eyes and it looks right.

Keep it up

Thanks
    Good start, as said there are some little inaccuracies (the glasses seem to be put upsidedown in the 2nd sp) but in general really nice start.

Thanks
    Very good start, I'm not sure if you speak french but I'll keep in english for this one. I'm not sure how many you will be drawing your self portrait, but if you are look to improve, is a very good way, ask Farvus

And listen what Farvus saif, he is a wise man

I personally think 15-20 minute is more than enough to do this exercise everyday but you should also try to add some color as well. Not only you will practice your eyes but color are something you also want to practice, and so far it helped me a ton.

Just enjoy it, hope to see some more of this from you

Thanks
    Hey all, thanks for the nice comments, seriously, gives me inspiration to continue.

Farvus - Don't get me started on the eyebrows - they're one of the hardest things for me to draw, because whenever I flick my eyes upwards to look in the mirror, the 'brows shoot way up over my forehead while the rest of my face stays neutral, so if I actually drew them like that I'd look like a very cynical observer of a car crash or something. So I tried to readjust the eyebrows to normal in my mind and that's the result. I do agree they could be a bit longer, though.

Nick - I have clear glasses (no frames around the lenses), so they're tricky to draw in pen... but that's no excuse not to do a good job, so I'll try harder tomorrow. 8)

Bhrazz - oui je parle un peu français, mais je me demande si c'est mieux de continuer en anglais pour que tout le monde peut comprendre ce que nous disons... que penses-tu? (excuse la mauvaise qualité de mon français, ça fait longtemps que ne l'ai pas écrit ni parlé...)

In any case, you're right I should practice in colours too... I will soon... promise

I'll hopefully put up a new SP tomorrow evening, but first I need my beauty sleep, so goodnight!

Thanks
    I was feeling a bit blue today so...

Arish in the Mirror

Not too happy with this scan, it missed a lot of the smaller lines (I drew this in coloured pencil) and I really had to ramp up the contrast to get the rest of the drawing to show clearly. Anyways it's not the greatest portrait in the world (I look really stoned for some reason) so it's not worth complaining too much.

Took about 25 mins.
    Last edited by Arish; September 11th, 2007 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks
    It aint bad at all, my only crits will be about varying the position of your head. One other thing you want to try is to follow the muscle of the faces with your strokes, it helped me a lot to feel the form/bump of the faces.

Thanks
    I like that one. Sorry, no crit.
    Just keep posting .

Thanks
    hey, your "blue" portrait is looking good. Imo better than the other ones.
    As you wrote there are some lost lines, especially in the hair. Maybe try to avoid that fine details and get the look at the whole right.

Thanks

b & w

Bhrazz - Thanks, I tried following the muscles somewhat on this one, but then I lost patience and just shaded my usual way, heh. But I did turn my head.

Farvus- Thanks.

N1ck - You have a point, but details add so much to a picture... I'm wondering if there's a way to avoid getting them lost in the scanning?

Anyways, on to today's...

Arish in the Mirror

Usually I love drawing people in 3/4ths view but ironically it doesn't work so well on my own face, because when I look out of the corners of my eyes the edge of my glasses gets in the way and I have trouble seeing. Maybe it's time to invest in contacts... hmm.

Thanks
    By Looking at your drawing I'm realizing how different everyone is. I mean, just by your stroke I ''don't understand'' why you did it this way and this way, but that is what all the fun of drawing is about. I really like how you draw the lips on that one.

And if you really want to add contrast, shade your head, you left quite some white spot. Anyways, you draw very well, nothing to say about it, my only crits will be about not doing it so often

Thanks
    Thanks for the nice comments Bhrazz, but what do you mean "not do it so often?" If you mean "not draw so often," not a chance muahaha

Anyway yeah, it's cool how all of us have our own different styles, I also don't understand a lot of times what goes into someone else's artwork. It would be fun to watch you & Farvus draw, just to see how you do the things you do...

I was tired today so it's a quick pencil sketch, nothing new... Feels wierd drawing myself with my hair up though.

Arish in the Mirror

Thanks
    The last one has well aligned face features. Don't worry if the result is nothing new. Setting a bar too high could later discourage you from drawing new self portraits .

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast