Hoping to Improve

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Hoping to Improve

I'm going into my Sophomore year as an art major at The Ohio State University.

Knowing that this isn't an art college, specifically geared to churn out artists upon graduation, I'm going to have to work pretty hard and develop my talent to be noticed in my field. I know this and have accepted it.

Because of this, I am eager to hone my skill and would greatly appreciate any and all comments/critiques anyone has to give, even the bad ones. I can't hope to evolve if I don't learn, right?

These are some commissions I did for a friend for his game that will later be used for a comic book on the story of said game:
    Copic Markers/Faber Castelle Ink pens-

This is another one of the aforementioned friend's characters, this time the main protagonist in another one-shot comic he'd like me to work on pretty soon here:
    Faber Castelle India Ink pens-

These are just two of my own works, done quite recently. I enjoy facial expressions so these were a test on subtlety and how well I could convey the emotions:
    Markers-

Photoshop-

((If this post is too large, let me know and I'll resize the images. I wasn't sure what you guys prefer.))

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    The image sizes are fine.
    Keep working from your head, but not only from your head. The more visual info you can pack into it by drawing from life and reference, the more successful your drawing without them will be. If you don't know how to draw something, don't make it up.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    The image sizes are fine.
    Keep working from your head, but not only from your head. The more visual info you can pack into it by drawing from life and reference, the more successful your drawing without them will be. If you don't know how to draw something, don't make it up.
    Ah, anatomy work would be very beneficial. I wonder, though, what is it is that looks obviously made up when you look at these?

Thanks
    Well, your faces are incredibly stylised and most of the poses look very uncomfortable or difficult to get into. I dare you to try reclining like the guy in the last one, it hurts

I'm bad at sketchbooks, have a tumblr!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmex View Post
    Ah, anatomy work would be very beneficial. I wonder, though, what is it is that looks obviously made up when you look at these?
    Facial features, proportions, impossible poses & angles, perspective. Like Elwell said, if you don't know how something looks, make a friend pose like that, search for a photo reference on the internet, whatever... The more experience you get drawing from reference, the easier it will be to draw from that experience.

Back to basics!

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyatt Thrash View Post
    Facial features, proportions, impossible poses & angles, perspective. Like Elwell said, if you don't know how something looks, make a friend pose like that, search for a photo reference on the internet, whatever... The more experience you get drawing from reference, the easier it will be to draw from that experience.

Back to basics!
    I see! That's my problem, then. I look at photographs and people around me all the time and while I don't always draw straight from a reference picture I draw from my memory quite a bit. Seems like what looks correct to me really... isn't to other people. Haha, finally I know what's wrong! Thanks quite a bit.

Members who have read this thread: 1